• 1 Post By jgil089
  • 1 Post By zxcvb1t

TA07 Pro vs TA07MS vs TRF419XR

Old 12-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TA07 Pro vs TA07MS vs TRF419XR

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

1. Do tamiya low profile shells such as Tamiya Honda NSX 2005 fit the TA07 Pro or TA07MS chassis'?

2. Is the the TA07MS worth getting over the TA07 Pro? (I'd want a car which i can learn racing from for a couple of years)

2.5. If yes, assumung the price of a TRF418XR and TA07MS are the same, which would you get? Would you care to explain?

3. Is the TA07MS still a TA07 per se, or is it a completely different chassis that just has the same name?

I'd like to hear your feedback!
Old 12-08-2019, 04:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

1. Tamiya lists the 2005 NSX (47353) to be compatible with the TA06, TA07 etc. so it should fit any/most standard touring car with upright front shocks.
2. They are at two different price levels, hard to answer without knowing your budget and intended use. In terms of adjustments both are just as adjustable as each other, you can learn from either chassis.
2.5 You can read from around post 220 on the TA07MS thread TRF TA07MS
3. The main thing common between the two is the drivetrain and suspension, otherwise they are quite different IMO.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Rookie

The price of the MS and 419XR is the same in my LHS, around $550 USD, (within my budget for the kit), I'm new to racing and would like to have a kit which i i could learn a lot from.
​​​
Old 12-08-2019, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have all three of these kits. I like the TA07 MS. Itís almost like the TRF419XR but you get to move the motor position
Qatmix likes this.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblackmik View Post
The price of the MS and 419XR is the same in my LHS, around $550 USD, (within my budget for the kit), I'm new to racing and would like to have a kit which i i could learn a lot from.
​​​
For that price, and if youíre determined to get a Tamiya, why not get the TRF420? Itís more refined than either of the cars you mentioned.
V8 Rumble likes this.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

If you get the Pro then theres a good chance you will end up spending close to the MS price anyway as there are a heap of upgrades available, especially if you go for a carbon chassis conversion which is a good option. I bought the Pro as an entry into touring car racing and bought a few key hopups so its where I want it now, but offroad is more my thing and i only run onroad when i get the chance. I eill never make a podium so the Pro was the better choice for me. There is also the R which is just a Pro with more hopups. I found the carbon stiffeners to be important which aren't included with either the Pro or R, so if you factor those into the cost then the MS is probably the way to go.

No idea whether the MS or 419XR is better though, but since the 420 is the newest and about the same price why not go for that?
JoshuaRC10 likes this.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just a side note, Tamiya has the 419 on sale right now on the site for like $350 I think. Beats that $500 that you mentioned. Depending on your class yoy want to run the tamiya TB Evo 7 is pretty nice too.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Hopscotch View Post
Just a side note, Tamiya has the 419 on sale right now on the site for like $350 I think. Beats that $500 that you mentioned. Depending on your class yoy want to run the tamiya TB Evo 7 is pretty nice too.
Not to mention how easy it is to buy carbon fiber parts for 419... I was dare to purchase a 419 with destroied lower deck because I know I can get the lower deck without much effort.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post
If you get the Pro then theres a good chance you will end up spending close to the MS price anyway as there are a heap of upgrades available, especially if you go for a carbon chassis conversion which is a good option. I bought the Pro as an entry into touring car racing and bought a few key hopups so its where I want it now, but offroad is more my thing and i only run onroad when i get the chance. I eill never make a podium so the Pro was the better choice for me. There is also the R which is just a Pro with more hopups. I found the carbon stiffeners to be important which aren't included with either the Pro or R, so if you factor those into the cost then the MS is probably the way to go.

No idea whether the MS or 419XR is better though, but since the 420 is the newest and about the same price why not go for that?
The 420 is actually less than the TA07MS on the Tamiya site right now....and that is even before factoring in the addition of the TRF420 arm upgrade kit you would want to add to your 419 or TA07 to beef up the C-hubs and knuckles (which I'm to understand are a weak point) while remaining TCS legal...
Old 12-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TRF Replacement Parts Availability

Thanks for all the replies!

I've read a couple of posts saying spare parts for the TRF kits are very hard to get (saying that they're mostly custom order items) Is that true for the TA07MS / 419XR /420?

I did a quick search looking for replacement aluminum bulkheads and carbon lower deck for the TA07MS but could find any.

This the only thing holding me back from buying a TRF kit for racing. Hoping to hear your opinion on this.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

If you want to purchase a top-line Tamiya sedan, then you should consider the new TRF420. Why spend big bucks on the TA07MS when the TRF420 is cheaper and a better chassis? Another option is the shaft drive Tamiya EVO.7 which allows for several chassis motor setups.

I have never personally needed to replace the aluminum bulkheads in any sedan I have ever owned, Tamiya or otherwise. I also do not know of anyone who needed to buy them either. You are worrying about nothing.

As for parts availability, Tamiya are pretty good and much better supported than Schumacher, Yokomo, Xray or any of the other top brands. The exotics like Awesomatix, MST, Corally, Infinity and others are even tougher to get here in Canada.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OP, where are you located? I'm in the US and was asking the same questions you were 2 months ago. I am returning to the hobby after almost 20 years. Here is what I've learned from the RCTech Tamiya veterans:
1) Upgrading the TA07 Pro to TRF or MS spec will make it way more expensive.
2) Historically, parts for the MS and Evo lines will be difficult to acquire.
3) Parts for the TRF419 series were easier to acquire so I would assume the same will apply for the TRF420 since it is now their top-of-the-line racer.

What did I do? I bought a used TRF419XR from the classifieds and plan on racing USGT. Once I get my speed (it's relative ) back, I may consider the TRF420.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

TRF cars are cheaper start with if you have no intention to enter tamiya's race. All the hop ups and goodies are there.With a pro kit, the DCJ, sway bars and aluminum hubs are not included, which I believe are must for racing.

EVO and MS cars are limited release, after EVO 6, both new releases has difficult parts to get hold of. Hell, the evo6 itself is hard to find lower decks for. I don't remeber breaking bulkheads but I do break my 417X's lowerdeck.
theblackmik likes this.