Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Component matching on 1/10 truck >

Component matching on 1/10 truck

Component matching on 1/10 truck

Old 12-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Component matching on 1/10 truck

Hello. So i wanted to get my rc car faster and decided to get a 3s battery. Got it and was ready to rip it. Driving 5 minutes and then ESC caught on fire! What would have happened there? I have 3660 3500kv motor, 60A ESC and 11.1v 25C battery. What should i buy/change so I can run it on 3s battery? 2s for me is really boring slow right now :/ Thanks for future help!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Kristeritto View Post
Hello. So i wanted to get my rc car faster and decided to get a 3s battery. Got it and was ready to rip it. Driving 5 minutes and then ESC caught on fire! What would have happened there? I have 3660 3500kv motor, 60A ESC and 11.1v 25C battery. What should i buy/change so I can run it on 3s battery? 2s for me is really boring slow right now :/ Thanks for future help!
Well for starters from what you stated you need a new ESC. I know some are water proof but I don't think any are fire proof! LOL

Find an ESC that clearly states it can run 3s lipos. If it were me I would go with something that can handle even more, like 4s (but run it on 3s) so you will always be using the ESC under its maximum threshold.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tbuggy View Post
Well for starters from what you stated you need a new ESC. I know some are water proof but I don't think any are fire proof! LOL

Find an ESC that clearly states it can run 3s lipos. If it were me I would go with something that can handle even more, like 4s (but run it on 3s) so you will always be using the ESC under its maximum threshold.
Yeah, i was thinking about that, probably gonna buy really good quality 60A ESC or mid-quality 120A ESC, that definetly would run 3s.
Thank you!
Old 12-07-2019, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think you should have read a little bit more before trying that. Are you sure your ESC was rated for 2S-3S?
3S is not the first thing you can improve, and don't forget that a 3500 kV motor will run 1.5x faster in 3S than in 2S.

So, you should have gone for a motor with 5300kV or more, but you would have had the same result as 25C battery are not enough to power that...

Motor, ESC and batteries must be matched, or you will end the life of one of them prematurely...