R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TT02 vs TA05 v2 vs TB03R for blinky (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1054762-tt02-vs-ta05-v2-vs-tb03r-blinky.html)

theblackmik 11-27-2019 11:37 AM

TT02 vs TA05 v2 vs TB03R for blinky

​​​​​Can you guys help me decide the following chassis, i currently own a TT01D which I've modded with all the hop-ups i could get (part of the fun right!). For the past couple of years I've been using this chassis mainly for drifting and parking lot bashing. No formal racing.

Recently, an outdoor on road track opened near my place and I'm planning on setting up an rc to be used mainly for racing.

Since it will be my first time racing, I plan on trying out:

- Stock Blinky (i only based this on my research here on Rctech)

Then move up to "mod" class 4.5t if im ready (im not sure if this is possible but ideally, I'd like to stick to 1 chassis)

Chassis options are the ff: (these are the ones my LHS offers)

- TT02 ($120) (with body shell)
- TT02D ($200) (with body shell)
- TA05 v2 ($240) (its old, but I've read good reviews on this, and it's also nostalgic)
- TB04R ($340)

I'd like to see what do you guys think and please include the reason why you chose which! (I'd really wanna learn to race)

Feel free to suggest other models within the price range (Tamiya chassis only)

SteveM 11-27-2019 03:36 PM

The TT-02 is a solid chassis, but not up to the challenge of 17.5 blinky. The TT-02D is a drift chassis and not for racing. The gearing is limited to only a few ratios and you are stuck running the odd pitch Tamiya pinions and spurs.

The TA-05 v2 is a great chassis and I am running one in VTA. I tried 17.5 blink recently as well but the chassis has a bit too much flex for carpet. Might be ideal on asphalt though.

The TB-04R is the newest of the chassis on your list and might be your best option.

zaraz 11-27-2019 03:45 PM

tb04r

Bloke 11-27-2019 04:27 PM

Not the TT02.

herrokero 11-27-2019 05:01 PM

TA07 or TB05? Both should have more consistent handling than older models, and the tb05 has a proper motor position for shaft drive compared to the tb04. Both cars also have ton of hop ups since they have been out for a bit, but another thing is both cars have carbon conversion kits to make them pretty much a top tier car. Exotek and PSM from the top of my mind

zxcvb1t 11-27-2019 07:57 PM

TB04 is heavy , my basically tb04 with rcf body comming in at 1500g.... Also gearing is kinda limited. TA05v2 is the better of the three, but why not have a look at TA07 and TB05? They are the currently supported platforms.

Gyr0 11-27-2019 08:41 PM

You can also consider a TB-07 evo . They're are currently on sale at Tamya USA at a great price of $325!

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-4...tb/rc-tb-evo7/

theblackmik 11-27-2019 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

Based on your replies, it seems that there is a huge difference in terms of performance for old vs new rc chassis, is this really the case for these entry level RC's?

​​​​​​ I tend to believe that newer isn't always better, with that bejng said, would the TA05 v2's motor mounting position (better based on what I've read vs TB04 due to better tunability) compensate for it's aged design?

herrokero 11-28-2019 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by theblackmik (Post 15553002)
Thanks for all the replies!

Based on your replies, it seems that there is a huge difference in terms of performance for old vs new rc chassis, is this really the case for these entry level RC's?

​​​​​​ I tend to believe that newer isn't always better, with that bejng said, would the TA05 v2's motor mounting position (better based on what I've read vs TB04 due to better tunability) compensate for it's aged design?

If you want the fastest entry level that'd be an Xpress xq1s, but I'm also a Tamiya fanboy. You're right that newer isn't always better, that was the case with the TA05 -> TA06 and the TB03 -> TB04. Both newer cars had inefficient drive trains but they are still good cars, just not optimal.

Where the motor is mounted is pretty much personal choice in terms of handling, but the reason the TB04 motor mounting is worse, is due to it being perpendicular to the drive shaft whilst the TB03/05 is parallel. In short, shaft drive cars have torque steer, and a perpendicular layout creates even more torque steer. Belt drives have parallel drive trains, along with the belt dampening the power delivery, making it smoother.

Back to old vs new, the TA07 and TB05 are more refined mainly because of the slim and symmetrically flexing chassis, where as the older cars had large tubs that also had large holes cut out for the motor, making it flex unevenly. I could probably type an essay on the refinements Tamiya has made over the years, but they are arguably better in everyway. The TA05V2 is still a great car that could probably beat a lot of cars in the right hands, but those same hands could be driving a TA07 and be faster.

fat500 11-28-2019 08:18 AM

tao5 v2 or look at the ta07 (preferred ) you can run the ta07 in mid motor if you want. I run a ta07. used to run the 05v2. 07 is faster more stable if you are at the top driving wise. 07 easier to tune as well.:nod:

JoeyE 11-28-2019 11:07 AM

***Happy to say that the car is on it’s way and I think it will make a kid happy!***.

I have an extra TA05 V2 laying around somewhere. I'll find it and rebuilt it a little. You can have it for FREE. Just pay shipping. I can probably ship it out next Monday for you. LMK.

theblackmik 11-28-2019 09:51 PM

Thanks for the wonderful explanation, guys, such a great community! Will definitely do more research on my own.

theblackmik 11-28-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyE (Post 15553277)
I have an extra TA05 V2 laying around somewhere. I'll find it and rebuilt it a little. You can have it for FREE. Just pay shipping. I can probably ship it out next Monday for you. LMK.

I sent you a PM, Joey!

gigaplex 11-28-2019 10:21 PM

Whatever you go with, none of the budget Tamiya kits will be suitable for racing mod. Pick a chassis that will work for stock, and by the time you're ready to move to mod, you'll probably want to replace the chassis anyway due to wear and tear.

Nicadrauspro4 11-30-2019 09:47 AM

Scrap the TT-02 on your list. Get either the TA05 ( belt) or the TB04R (shaft) which I'm also planning to get...