Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
We are driving something designed 23 years ago. >

We are driving something designed 23 years ago.

Like Tree29Likes
  • 6 Post By Smashrc
  • 1 Post By SteveM
  • 1 Post By chensleyrc1
  • 2 Post By sosidge
  • 5 Post By robk
  • 1 Post By skater-deez1
  • 5 Post By 1/8 IC Fan
  • 3 Post By STLNLST
  • 2 Post By robk
  • 2 Post By chensleyrc1
  • 1 Post By TurnNBurn

We are driving something designed 23 years ago.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default We are driving something designed 23 years ago.

Look at this OVA T4, it has mid motor layout, long arm, flex control. I start doubting the current rc toy car designers are copying very old design then spend great effort on the marketing......... Except Schumacher and Awesomatix, respect them that they really do great effort on the designing not on marketing.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

I am still racing my old TC3 as well as a Tamiya TA-05 v2 which is also mid-motor. I also ran an RCLab 7even sedan back in the day also mid-motor, and a Losi JRX-S sedan too.

gigaplex likes this.

Last edited by SteveM; 11-24-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Many new layouts have been tried but the basic design has always moved back to the standard layout. Of all the different designs that I have tried. I was only impressed with the Losi JRXS compared to the standard design. I really liked the Losi design and It was very fast back in its day. I really wish that design progressed into the lipo/ brushless era but it died with the compact disk.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've always said- wait it it will come back. I've seen it many times over the years!
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

It is just like rear steer. Schumacher cars had it decades ago along with the mid motor, Axis. Schumacher also had the Mi5 which could be built either rear or mid.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

What I'd like to see is an Ova T4 with modern electrics turning a few hot laps so we can see what 23 years of development has brought in terms of performance...
Skiddins and Sir 51D3WAYS like this.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Buy an original ta05 with long arms and try it out. That's pretty much the car you're showing.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Designs come and go, as long as racers keep buying kool aid....somebody's going to keep making it.
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Also remember trends of past did not thrive at the time, as either one or more combinations of, tires, racing surfaces, Motors, electronics, or even materials were not up to the standards we now have! Heck racing on Carpet over 25 years ago vs. today is not even comparable.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post
Many new layouts have been tried but the basic design has always moved back to the standard layout. Of all the different designs that I have tried. I was only impressed with the Losi JRXS compared to the standard design. I really liked the Losi design and It was very fast back in its day. I really wish that design progressed into the lipo/ brushless era but it died with the compact disk.
I don't feel the original car was competitive. It wasn't until the Type-R that I feel it came to life.

Marcos.J, gigaplex and Brian10811 like this.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I don't feel the original car was competitive. It wasn't until the Type-R that I feel it came to life.
Yes that is the one I was talking about. Its been a long time and forgot about the Type R.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
You're correct! I bought my JRXS when it first came out and worked with it for a while. I asked Billy Easton, a Losi factory driver at the time for some input and he said he couldn't help me, he already had the Type R.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by outlandr91 View Post
You're correct! I bought my JRXS when it first came out and worked with it for a while. I asked Billy Easton, a Losi factory driver at the time for some input and he said he couldn't help me, he already had the Type R.
Haha, the same thing happened to someone we both know at Vegas, but this time it was Todd Hodge with the brush off. I don't think I had actually seen steam come out of someone's ears until then. Losi lost a customer that day.
chensleyrc1 and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk View Post
Haha, the same thing happened to someone we both know at Vegas, but this time it was Todd Hodge with the brush off. I don't think I had actually seen steam come out of someone's ears until then. Losi lost a customer that day.
I got brushed off by a well known Losi driver at The Gate when I asked about a setup for the XXX-S graphite plus car I had just won in the raffle, lol. Sold it 20 minutes later.
robk and Rick Vessell like this.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

I think it's also important to note that current designs are also drawing the inner suspension points inward toward the center as well. The Xray T4'20 did it, as did the new Serpent X20. And this is really following what Off-Road buggies already did years ago. Remember the Associated "Stealth" RC10? One of the first. But yeah, overall it's starting to look like "what's old is new again" - just like fashion, haha! I predict that in two years, top competition TC's will be shaft driven again!

But at least the chassis is wide enough on that car to actually fit the electronics, instead of having everything hanging off the ledges. I mean, the chassis is graphite and is at the lowest point of the chassis - would an extra 20mm of width on the chassis really kill anyone? Especially if you still mounted your electronics inboard?
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.