Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What steps do you guys do first? >

What steps do you guys do first?

Like Tree13Likes

What steps do you guys do first?

Old 11-23-2019, 01:16 PM
Tech Addict

Default What steps do you guys do first?

I'm been out of the loop for some time. I would like to set up a couple of my cars but forget what order to start with. Do you guys install all electronics first then camber, droop then adjust ride height? Or do you set camber then add electrics.
any way how/what's the best order for setting up a chassis.
thanks
Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TeamThibault View Post
I'm been out of the loop for some time. I would like to set up a couple of my cars but forget what order to start with. Do you guys install all electronics first then camber, droop then adjust ride height? Or do you set camber then add electrics.
any way how/what's the best order for setting up a chassis.
thanks
I set my droop screws first, then add all my electrics to include the battery. After that I set my ride height, remove the wheels and put it on the setup to check my camber angle and steering throw. Now I am ready to start putting in some laps to fine tune my car.
the rc guy likes this.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there's little point in doing setup until the chassis is loaded. I tend to build to the manual suggested settings, but.. they're never very good. They're usually within a turn or two of where they should be, but still not "right"

I build the car, install everything, then set things like droop, camber, toe. You can't trust any setting you do before the car is loaded.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I put a battery in the car, take wheels off, set droop, put wheels back on, set ride height, set camber. Turn some laps. I don't use a set up board because I'm not that serious about it.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

In the order I set up my cars. Full loaded with electronics, motor and battery, I make sure the chassis is no tweaked and I get the car balanced, on pins, I then set the ride height. Camber and toe-out are next. I will do droop/up travel next (about 2mm over ride height). Finally, I check cross weight to fine tune the springs.
Nerobro and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
In the order I set up my cars. Full loaded with electronics, motor and battery, I make sure the chassis is no tweaked and I get the car balanced, on pins, I then set the ride height. Camber and toe-out are next. I will do droop/up travel next (about 2mm over ride height). Finally, I check cross weight to fine tune the springs.
Pay attention to this guy.
gigaplex and Khargulec like this.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by massenb203 View Post
I set my droop screws first, then add all my electrics to include the battery. After that I set my ride height, remove the wheels and put it on the setup to check my camber angle and steering throw. Now I am ready to start putting in some laps to fine tune my car.
Originally Posted by jammin684 View Post
I put a battery in the car, take wheels off, set droop, put wheels back on, set ride height, set camber. Turn some laps. I don't use a set up board because I'm not that serious about it.
You guys do realize that if you set droop first and then ride height, the droop will change? Much like sometimes I see guys that can't get their ride height set because they have the cars suspension locked down with the droop screws. Its always best to set the ride height and then set the droop, then go back and check your ride height, just to make sure you haven't over done the droop.
freebird likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
You guys do realize that if you set droop first and then ride height, the droop will change? Much like sometimes I see guys that can't get their ride height set because they have the cars suspension locked down with the droop screws. Its always best to set the ride height and then set the droop, then go back and check your ride height, just to make sure you haven't over done the droop.
That depends on how you measure droop. If you're following a setup sheet using droop blocks you can set the droop independently to the ride height. If you're measuring it as movement over ride height then yes you're correct.
freebird likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Giga is correct. Droop and shock length first, ride and sag height second. Rinse repeat until all three numbers suit your fancy.

Droop can be more than sag if your pod reaches down at ride ht. A level pod generally means droop and sag are equal.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Any type of tire wear will tighten up the droop settings if you re-adjust the ride height and don't redo the droop. Rubber tires are no different. Once again, I've seen guys end up with locked down cars chasing droop over ride height. I don't like droop over ride height, just a personal opinion. Maybe for a quick check, but I go off a guage off the bottom of the chassis.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Tech Elite

Then they didn't check sag.

Axle ht sets rear ride height for tire wear. That has to be correct before doing anything with droop or center ht. Center shock shouldn't account for tire wear.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

So if you set droop with blocks can you figure out what your droop is over ride height or does that change with tweak settings?
Old 11-26-2019, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Setting droop on blocks does not take into account the weight of the chassis. lt gets you in the ballpark, but up-travel is a better indicator.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

That's sag. That's exactly why there's a separate definition of each.

Sag is how much the suspension compresses to reach ride height.

Droop is how far down the suspension reaches.

Sometimes they're the same, or measured the same way, which is why they get mixed up.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

For what it's worth, this is my sequence:
1) With wheels on and battery in, measure and set ride height
2) Put car on corner scales and adjust corner weights by adjusting springs
3) Recheck ride height, redo number 2 if ride height needs adjustments
4) Take off wheels, put on 10mm blocks and check/adjust droop. I use calipers to measure over the axles.
5) Put on setup station and adjust rear toe, front toe, full steering lock, and camber.
6) Since it's an Awesomatix, take off setup station, place on setup board and measure/adjust caster using calipers to measure front and rear of steering arms. If caster has to be adjusted, put setup station back on and check camber.
That's it, I'm ready to run. I take my setup station and board out to the track, but I'm not one of those people that checks their car between every race. I seldom wreck, so each week when I check the car, hardly anything ever changes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.