• 1 Post By belewis01
  • 1 Post By jammin684
  • 2 Post By Marcos.J
  • 2 Post By tbrymer

What are best best tires for concrete

Old 11-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What are best best tires for concrete

Setting up an RC track with a concrete floor. What are the best tires and compound for concrete? I will be using VHT to help with traction. Itís an underground parking lot so track temps will never be to hot. Foams or soft compound rubber? And what brands would you suggest I try
Old 11-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Tamiya M2 radials.
RacerG37 likes this.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

From running on polished concrete in the past, there isn't much grip. I'd try the Schumacher Minipins, failing that a soft rally block or treaded tyre. I dont think a slick would work.
RacerG37 likes this.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RacerG37 View Post
Setting up an RC track with a concrete floor. What are the best tires and compound for concrete? I will be using VHT to help with traction. Itís an underground parking lot so track temps will never be to hot. Foams or soft compound rubber? And what brands would you suggest I try
on our concrete track treated with vht we run Solaris 36 and work very well
Brian10811 and RacerG37 like this.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looks like I’ll be giving the Solaris 36 a test run. What brand vht do you use? I’ve heard of people using watered down Dr. pepper in a water sprayer but I don’t want to end up with candy coated tires after each run. Thanks for all the info!!
Old 11-26-2019, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like Iíll be giving the Solaris 36 a test run. What brand vht do you use? Iíve heard of people using watered down Dr. pepper in a water sprayer but I donít want to end up with candy coated tires after each run. Thanks for all the info!!
PJ1 i think is the one he uses and diluting it down with alcohol
Old 11-26-2019, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks like Iíll be giving the Solaris 36 a test run. What brand vht do you use? Iíve heard of people using watered down Dr. pepper in a water sprayer but I donít want to end up with candy coated tires after each run. Thanks for all the info!!
We switched from VHT back to soda, primarily for the cost. Outdoor asphalt parking lot, set up 2 times a month. AW root beer works good, as does discount soda with high sugar content. We found VHT to have good traction in the morning, but fade as the day goes on. Soda starts out good and maintains or improves as the day goes on - I think it may be temperature related. No coating on the tires, but you have to let it dry completely. We usually do a light second spray after 20 - 30 minutes of practice and we are good for the rest of the day.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Grape soda from 99cent store works pretty good on asphalt. Should work on concrete too.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jammin684 View Post
Grape soda from 99cent store works pretty good on asphalt. Should work on concrete too.
not on concrete the concrete will not absorb the grape soda . Vht will work the best
glennhl and RacerG37 like this.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Try the Elexis 36 for asphalt. These things have a ton of traction. So much that I can't use them on the asphalt track that I run on. I bet they would work awesome on concrete.
Brian10811 and RacerG37 like this.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
We switched from VHT back to soda, primarily for the cost. Outdoor asphalt parking lot, set up 2 times a month. AW root beer works good, as does discount soda with high sugar content. We found VHT to have good traction in the morning, but fade as the day goes on. Soda starts out good and maintains or improves as the day goes on - I think it may be temperature related. No coating on the tires, but you have to let it dry completely. We usually do a light second spray after 20 - 30 minutes of practice and we are good for the rest of the day.
Thanks for the info! Iím going to give PJ1 a shot. Iím on concrete in an underground/covered lot. No direct sun during the day. So heat will be coming from tires pretty much. If cost becomes an issue Iíll give A&W or grape soda a shot. Iíll post my results along with pics soon.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tbrymer View Post
Try the Elexis 36 for asphalt. These things have a ton of traction. So much that I can't use them on the asphalt track that I run on. I bet they would work awesome on concrete.
Looks like Iíll be ordering some Elexis 36 also. Iíll be testing them against a few others. I donít have a lap timer installed yet, so time results canít be compared. Iíll list all the tires tested along with personnel feedback on each. Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-28-2019, 06:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Update- went to the track yesterday. Gave it a good sweep. Then ran my hopped up 4 tec with a HW4.5 with stock Tracxas response tires. Was loose in the corners still. Then did another sweep and gave the concrete a light layer of orange soda(store was out of grape) from a garden sprayer. I let the track dry for about 20 min. WOW it was like night and day. The traction level went from loose to very tight. I had to adjust my driving a bit due to how much traction I have now. I also ran on a set of Sweep 32 slicks, had more traction with the stock Traxxas wheel/tire combo. The slicks were picking up a lil bit of dust after a few laps. I think treaded tires are the way to go on this surface. A Blower is next to help get all the fine dust off the track. I’ll be posting a couple of vids soon. And the testing continues this weekend. Thinking I will open next month or early Jan to the public for practice. Got Solaris 32 and Elixis 32 coming in for test soon. Also going to give the Gravity USGT and Vaterra treaded tires a shot.