Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Schumacher Eclipse 3 1/12th pan car kit >

Schumacher Eclipse 3 1/12th pan car kit

Like Tree181Likes

Schumacher Eclipse 3 1/12th pan car kit

Old 12-30-2019, 04:29 AM
  #31  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post
I have always really loved 12th scale the most. I have the Roache hanging on the wall looking pretty. This Schumacher Eclipse has my eye. If I had a carpet track closer than 2 hours I would for sure buy this car. I love what Schumacher has done with this platform. I know that a good driver can win with any but this does show promise rather than the over and done standard design. Perhaps the standard design is the optimum design but I feel this Schumacher has a unique look.
I want to say without casting any disbelief but back in the 80's had a concept kind of like this.
Who misses the 80's crazy concepts back in the day?
I like that Schumacher go their own ways when making cars, not just copying.
skater-deez1, gigaplex and nikkip like this.
benstian is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 05:56 AM
  #32  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Default

I really would like to know, how my Schumacher "C-car" I had in the 80s would perform today. Certainly better than the driver, in my case ;-)

OK - back to Eclipse 3

Yesterday we ran them the first time on same motor, controller and servo etc. as the Eclipse 2 and Eclipse 1.5 (E1 + new front).
Narrow track, medium grip,
17,5T 1s. GT Bodies. (=German GT class) + solid rear axle

If at all, the progress is small but car feels maybe a bit more predictable, compared to our 1 and 2 year old chassis before. But you can tune!
I tested, starting from kit setup:
1 - black grease (Molycote) in front axle, (as with my old car) suspension was not as good as with polished steel pins on the E2 before. The new gold pins are a bit rough compared to polished steel. I also measured droop in the rear and found 0,75mm. Car felt a bit twitchy sometimes in erratic situations
2 - BUT: The front suspension works really much better with silicon damper fluid 15k cSt. Droop increasedto 1,25mm. Leading to my 2nd run having quickest single lap time of the day for me.

run 3-7:
- chassis option changed from D (all screws mounted) to B front screws removed (similar Eclipse2). Car felt smoother to drive, but maybe lost some agressiveness.
- minor changes, more covering additive of front and more steering angle gave more cornering (narrower) at no disadvantage
- LiPo position 1 --> 2 again somewhat smoother - my second best run of the day.

I think the car was best in last run (7). I was close to the initial time, but more consistent.

As I thought before, improvement to Eclipse 2 is hard to notice in lap times. I might also not have found the full potential yet. This also means, that a Schumacher chassis is a good invest, as it doesn't fade in long term use. I predict, this will certainly apply to E3 as well.

My son also did not improve significantly on the new E3 compared to our E1,5 and E2 chassis which are aged by countless runs.
If at all 0,1s in a 10s lap.

On the other hand, changing battery is much easier and the car is perfected in many nice details.

Best regards,
Erhard

ShadowAu, Yorick and Brian10811 like this.

Last edited by Erhard; 12-30-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Erhard is offline  
Old 12-30-2019, 10:56 AM
  #33  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Erhard View Post
I really would like to know, how my Schumacher "C-car" I had in the 80s would perform today. Certainly better than the driver, in my case ;-)

OK - back to Eclipse 3

Yesterday we ran them the first time on same motor, controller and servo etc. as the Eclipse 2 and Eclipse 1.5 (E1 + new front).
Narrow track, medium grip,
17,5T 1s. GT Bodies. (=German GT class) + solid rear axle

If at all, the progress is small but car feels maybe a bit more predictable, compared to our 1 and 2 year old chassis before. But you can tune!
I tested, starting from kit setup:
1 - black grease (Molycote) in front axle, (as with my old car) suspension was not as good as with polished steel pins on the E2 before. The new gold pins are a bit rough compared to polished steel. I also measured droop in the rear and found 0,75mm. Car felt a bit twitchy sometimes in erratic situations
2 - BUT: The front suspension works really much better with silicon damper fluid 15k cSt. Droop increasedto 1,25mm. Leading to my 2nd run having quickest single lap time of the day for me.

run 3-7:
- chassis option changed from D (all screws mounted) to B front screws removed (similar Eclipse2). Car felt smoother to drive, but maybe lost some agressiveness.
- minor changes, more covering additive of front and more steering angle gave more cornering (narrower) at no disadvantage
- LiPo position 1 --> 2 again somewhat smoother - my second best run of the day.

I think the car was best in last run (7). I was close to the initial time, but more consistent.

As I thought before, improvement to Eclipse 2 is hard to notice in lap times. I might also not have found the full potential yet. This also means, that a Schumacher chassis is a good invest, as it doesn't fade in long term use. I predict, this will certainly apply to E3 as well.

My son also did not improve significantly on the new E3 compared to our E1,5 and E2 chassis which are aged by countless runs.
If at all 0,1s in a 10s lap.

On the other hand, changing battery is much easier and the car is perfected in many nice details.

Best regards,
Erhard
Thanks for the info
benstian is offline  
Old 01-06-2020, 12:06 AM
  #34  
Tech Initiate
 
Robert K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 41
Default

Here is my Schumacher Eclipse 3:









After the 2018 Euro's I became a father for the first time. The bigger and smoother 12th scale tracks where a bit far to trafel. Therefor my focus pointed to TC. I ran the E1 + prototype parts.
Bought a E3 and ran it for the first time. I really like the car. There are so many tiny things which are improved. The POD is stronger and tweaks less. The center pivot is just awesome. The front end is much stronger then before (compaired to the prototype parts, so that's a easy one to improve). Car felt really easy yet fast to drive.

Regards Robert
qcrc, Buckland, Flygio and 1 others like this.
Robert K is offline  
Old 01-12-2020, 04:19 AM
  #35  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,557
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Gents,

The new car looks stunning. One question though: does one need long shank or specific pinions to get enough bite on the spur gear? Offset from the motor plate to spur gear looks substantial...
celt is offline  
Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM
  #36  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Today the Eclipse 3 is world champion with Rheinard
Lonestar, choisan, qcrc and 5 others like this.
benstian is offline  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 AM
  #37  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 208
Default

Originally Posted by celt View Post
Gents,

The new car looks stunning. One question though: does one need long shank or specific pinions to get enough bite on the spur gear? Offset from the motor plate to spur gear looks substantial...
There is no special pinions requred. I use the CRC pinions that I use in all my onroad cars without issues.

Jon
Erhard likes this.

Last edited by Juniorabca; 01-13-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Juniorabca is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 12:10 AM
  #38  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by benstian View Post
Today the Eclipse 3 is world champion with Rheinard
More than that! Designer of the car Andy Murray is World Champion in Stock class.
Orlowski is vice-champ in modified on E3 and more E3 in top results.

Congratulations, very impressive performance of eclipse3 and its drivers !!!

qcrc, Flygio and DavidNERODease like this.
Erhard is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 01:01 AM
  #39  
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 400
Default

You just missed my son Joshua in those screen grabs, he was 23rd in stock class, also with an Eclipse 3.

I'm so happy for all at Schumacher and designer Andy Murray in particular. The company has finally TQed and won world championships in the class that effectively started the company. It shows that brave design choices can work, can't do better than TQing and winning both stock and open modified at the worlds!
TrevCoult is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 AM
  #40  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Brian10811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

What a awesome win for Schumacher to take mod and stock. No doubt that Marc still has the speed in his blood. I was in fact more interested in who will win the stock race only because it is what I normally run. Awesome job for both drivers.
TrevCoult and simple like this.
Brian10811 is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 06:40 AM
  #41  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (68)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 5,623
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

This will be a classic win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing new 1/12 cars with a similar design.

Kudos to Schumacher!

Dan is offline  
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 AM
  #42  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 46
Default

Such a shame that Olly was wiped out with about 3 corners to go else he would have got 3rd and then the whole podium would have been Schumacher

Saw you on the live stream Trevor by the grandstand
TrevCoult and gigaplex like this.
dlruk is offline  
Old 01-14-2020, 05:27 AM
  #43  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 111
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This will be a classic win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing new 1/12 cars with a similar design.

Kudos to Schumacher!
True, I ordered mine yesterday I was going to buy a Schumacher anyway, but had to choose between an used Eclipse 2 or a new Eclipse 3. The used E2 would be more than good enough for me, but you know how it is
TrevCoult, simple and Erhard like this.
benstian is offline  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 PM
  #44  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 117
Default

https://www.racing-cars.com/news/rac...champions-2020
Erhard is offline  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 PM
  #45  
Tech Regular
 
TrevCoult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Worksop, Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 400
Default

Marc Rheinhard, Andy Murray and Michal Orlowski setup up sheets from the 1/12th World Championships are available here.

https://www.racing-cars.com/technica...tion-eclipse-3
TrevCoult is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.