R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   pre "shorty" touring car shocks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1053768-pre-shorty-touring-car-shocks.html)

Farmer_John 11-11-2019 02:04 PM

pre "shorty" touring car shocks

Here's a question for Y'all.

I have rebirthed a tc4 chassis with the Kaizen conversion. Real nice piece of kit.

Let's first talk replacement shocks. I didn't wish to use the old Associated tc4 team dampers I've had for a damn long time, so I've tried to hunt down suitable replacements. I've tried parts by yeah racing and hobbyking stuff. Cheap, yes. But they're cheap. They're also either too long or too short to use. I have to choose ride height or shock travel...

Any suggestions on where I could possibly find a suitable set of dampers, pre shorty days?

I also have an extra set of tc7 dampers. Are there longer shafts or eyelets that anyine has used to make these conform to the length that was "standard"?

thanks

davidl 11-11-2019 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer_John (Post 15543742)
Here's a question for Y'all.

I have rebirthed a tc4 chassis with the Kaizen conversion. Real nice piece of kit.

Let's first talk replacement shocks. I didn't wish to use the old Associated tc4 team dampers I've had for a damn long time, so I've tried to hunt down suitable replacements. I've tried parts by yeah racing and hobbyking stuff. Cheap, yes. But they're cheap. They're also either too long or too short to use. I have to choose ride height or shock travel...

Any suggestions on where I could possibly find a suitable set of dampers, pre shorty days?

I also have an extra set of tc7 dampers. Are there longer shafts or eyelets that anyine has used to make these conform to the length that was "standard"?

thanks

Consider the shock eyelets from Serpent on-road shocks. They have both long and short versions. I can provide you an example if you need.

Nicadrauspro4 11-11-2019 02:20 PM

I'm using TRF shocks on two of my kits and a set of Yeah Racing "Shock Gear" to another one. Yes it's cheap in price but the performance and materials are not. In fact, it performs even better than I expected for half the price of the TRF. Also, YR have shocks available from 50, 55, 60, and 65mm which are all right sizes for on-road or rally.

Farmer_John 11-11-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by davidl (Post 15543746)
Consider the shock eyelets from Serpent on-road shocks. They have both long and short versions. I can provide you an example if you need.

Their TC stuff or 1/8?

LzREngineering 11-11-2019 03:48 PM

It could be easier/cheaper to get some shorter shock towers made?

herrokero 11-11-2019 04:45 PM

Any regular Tamiya TRF Damper or TRF big bore damper (not SSBB) should be the standard size. High quality, tons of replacement parts, and should also match the AE colour scheme. They also come with short and longer eyelets.

One more thing, the original TC7 (not 7.1 7.2) shocks should be standard size, so why do you need them longer? Do you need more than 6mm ride height?

Farmer_John 11-11-2019 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by herrokero (Post 15543861)
Any regular Tamiya TRF Damper or TRF big bore damper (not SSBB) should be the standard size. High quality, tons of replacement parts, and should also match the AE colour scheme. They also come with short and longer eyelets.

One more thing, the original TC7 (not 7.1 7.2) shocks should be standard size, so why do you need them longer? Do you need more than 6mm ride height?

Sorry, 7.2.

herrokero 11-11-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer_John (Post 15543887)
Sorry, 7.2.

Look up "tamiya v parts" theres an extra long eyelet that should give enough length