Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Thinking of entering the world of on road. 1st car selection help. >

Thinking of entering the world of on road. 1st car selection help.

Like Tree7Likes

Thinking of entering the world of on road. 1st car selection help.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thinking of entering the world of on road. 1st car selection help.

As the title states Iím potentially going to start on road racing. I know that I can go to the local track and see what everyoneís running but Iíd love to hear opinions from the knowledge base here. I have good electronics and a number of off road trucks and Truggys but looking for a good place to start. I have 2 revos and a mini and Iíll prob sell the mini Revo.

Thoughts????
Old 11-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would buy what ever chassis is supported at the local track. With that said, you can't go wrong with a Xray T4 chassis, plenty of setups, and at most tracks normally not hard to find a spare part to get you running in case you brake.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NDgolfer13 View Post
As the title states Iím potentially going to start on road racing. I know that I can go to the local track and see what everyoneís running but Iíd love to hear opinions from the knowledge base here. I have good electronics and a number of off road trucks and Truggys but looking for a good place to start. I have 2 revos and a mini and Iíll prob sell the mini Revo.

Thoughts????
I still say go to the track and see what others are running simply because no one on line will be at the track to answer a question or loan you a part that you may need right away. Coming on here is nice for info away from the track. You dont want to possibly be the guy that cant race waiting on a part in the mail rather than getting it off the wall. Youíre going to get a bunch of biased opinions with the question you asked. What class might you be running when you get a car? There are many helpful people on this board though.

Yorick and Brian10811 like this.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Whatever you get, waiting on the '20 cars might be the ticket, considering that everyone seems to be going to the center-mounted spur design with equal size belts front and rear... Xray T4 '20, Yokomo BD10, Serpent X20... all center mounted design. You can probably count on some of the other big names to have their own models out soon if they haven't released them already (Infinity, Awesomatix).

Anyway, aside from that, it's still going to help to see what's popular at the track. At a minimum, you'll want to know what's supported at the local shops in the area (which usually goes hand in hand with what their customers are running at the track). It's OK to have that "Lone Wolf" mentality as long as you can still get parts support for your car. If you decide on something that's not so popular at the track, I would at minimum see if one of the shops would be willing to stock up with a few parts for that brand (Hint: It helps if you actually buy the car from them, i.e. put down a deposit and ask them to order it for you). It will be on you to do your research, see what you will probably need for regular maintenance, and of course, make the commitment to actually buy from them when they do get it for you. No store owner is gonna want to buy merch that just sits on the wall.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

The best answer is talk to the guys who can help you (at your track) but there are a couple ways to look at it. When I started I bought something used. It was a poorly designed car but I wasted a year on it. But I was sick of me at the same time I was sick of the car. i didnt know if the problem was the car or me. In the end it was a combination of both. As soon as i bought the right equipment i had no more excuses and I started to improve twice as fast as I did previously.

Good equipment is more than just the sum of its parts. But Im also a guy who like bang for my buck. i went awesomatix and i dont regret it at all. I do have allot of friends who got the sport version of the express and they like it as a first car. If I couldnt do awesomatix id look into a Yokomo first and then X-ray but Ive had neither. But the Xpress is a tank and fast and inexpensive.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's your budget? At the higher end I'd recommend the Xray T4, at the lower end I'd recommend the Xpress XQ1S.
Billy Kelly, 0010 and Brian10811 like this.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go to your local track. There is a reason everyone says this.
If you're to shy or intimidated to do this, I can understand.

In that case buy a 2020 Xrary T4 if you can afford it, pretty much can't go wrong with it.
Cheaper options would be a good used T4.

0010 likes this.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thoughts????
Have you ever driven an on road car at a track?

On what type of surface do you plan to race?

What classes are offered where you plan to race?

Anyone that already suggested a particular car may be putting the cart before the horse.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Not enough info. Go to a track. See what classes are popular.

A brand new high end TC isn't needed for VTA or USGT. You can get two or three budget chassis for the cost of a cutting edge car.

Don't overlook WGTR and 12 stock.
Hauptmann6 likes this.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Xpress XQ1s if you aren't fully committed to onroad, but can still chop expensive TCs in the right hands. Big point is the ability to slowly upgrade to the full XQ1 if you want. Parts are plentiful on rcmart, but doubt you'll find parts at some local store.

New Older/used Xray T4 if you are committed and want a good deal. Usually a good deal, rather than the latest and greatest overpriced model. Expect good part support since the older ones have been out for longer.

Yokomo, Tamiya and Serpent also make competitive cars, but part support is usually a bit weaker.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
What's your budget? At the higher end I'd recommend the Xray T4, at the lower end I'd recommend the Xpress XQ1S.
Perfect answer and kept me from posting the same thing.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I started on road racing about 3 months ago. I currently run an XQ1S in USGT. It has been a tank for my poor driving skills. Haven't broken any parts and basically made some off road jumps with it. I have a few hop ups for durability and swaybars. I will eventually move to a higher end chassis. I bought a cheap chassis so I could spend more on better electronics that are easily movable.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are pan car classes- WGT-R, F1 and GT12 and other 1/12 classes. See what's racing locally and parts availablity..

Last edited by BullFrog; 11-11-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thoughts????
If you are in the Notre Dame area youíll probably end up at Mircr for indoor onroad. If thatís the case I can tell you what is being run. Without a doubt xray is the most popular chassis for tc and vta. I run an amx, but I am the only one and there isnít really any part support. My suggestion is to get an xray.

btw, avid golfer here too!
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Tech Regular

When I first got I to onroad (almost 20 years ago, yikes!), I bought a Tamiya TT-01 Rally car because I like Rally racing. It was a local class for beginners and quite tough.

I suggest you pick a class you really like that the local track runs, then decide on chassis. If you love muscle cars, VTA might be your thing, sports cars=USGT, F-1 maybe?

Big thing to keep in mind, pick a class you like and a budget you are comfortable with. USGT and stock TC can get really expensive. VTA and F-1 , less so. Used Cars can be very competitive in VTA or F-1 for instance due to lower speeds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.