R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool
Default LRP Pulsar 2 Motor Run Numbers

Hi. I have an LRP Pulsar 2 and would like to know what amp readings on the motor run function mean. Does higher mean better? Thanks.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

kinda hard to say Higher Amp draw could me alot of things..

Bad things:
1. there's something binding
2. too stiff of brush springs
3. won't make run-time

Good things:
1. if its 100% free rolling and you're making some nice Tourqe
2. more TQ add more teeth to your pinion
3. Adding more Teeth and smooth throttle input = making runtime

that's what I've learned in the past 8months

in all honesty you want something different for either mod/stock, TC/12th/buggy/truck

So it all really depends.

for Stock motors its been Purple sping on the Pos (+) Bursh and Green on Neg (-) that's for TC Stock

for mod 12th its Green Springs all around

For mod tc I want to say its simular to Stock TC but Mod season hasn't started yet so we'll see

Don't race off road much so you're outta luck.
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
Hi. I have an LRP Pulsar 2 and would like to know what amp readings on the motor run function mean. Does higher mean better? Thanks.
Amp draw is the amount of energy the motor requires to perform at that level. Most people test amp draw at 2.0 volts and normally you have a amp reading between 6.0-8.0 amps. If you you are below 5 or above 10 you may have a problem. I'm sure you will here alot of things about what is a good or bad number, but every motor will be different. You have to run the motor on the track to see how it really performs. Basic things like different springs and brushes can effect the amp draw. Hope this helps!
M LANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Cool
What I like to do with my pulsar is set it to run at 2 v. Then hold down the increase button to make the motor spool up to 7.2 volts. If the motor accelerates smooth and makes a high pitched wistle, then it's going to perform well on the track. If it doesn't speed up with a linear sound increase, then it's either going to need a far out gear ratio, or the motor is a dog.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the #'s are only good for relative comparison... meaining you cant take the #'s off your pulsar and compare to someone elses motor numbers off their charger, or even their pulsar (it varies)...

what its useful for is relative comparison... take a new motor, prep it, then use the charger to get an amp reading... take note of it... run the motor, is it good? if it is then thats you're "baseline" amp draw... now everytime you cut the motor and run it in you can check to see if its pulling the same #'s... if it is you're good, if it's not then check to make sure there are no issues...

in my experience this works great... usually higher than baseline is nothing to worry about, the motor just runs even better... if its pulling lower draw... then i do a thorough check...

also keep in mind that comm size affects amp draw as well with brush/spring being equal...

at 2volts, for me a brand new armature in a monster usually draws 8-9.5 amps after prep... as the comm wears it usually goes up slowly till nominal comm size where my monster usually draws 10-12 amps, then the comm starts getting small and the amp draw drops to 5.5-6 amps...

once you use the relative comparison through the life of a motor or two, you'll get a good feel for it and its quite helpful...
Old 03-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Big Daddy Cool

Thanks for the tips. They are all very helpful. I've been meaning to get the most use of my pulsar and motor checking is one of the reasons why I bought it. It's still not as good and precise as having a dyno to test motor performance but its a very helpful feature for someone who doesn't want to spend too much on equipment. Again, thanks.
Big Daddy Cool is offline   Reply With Quote