Search
Like Tree630Likes

Schumacher Mi7

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
Looks like a pretty big weight savings with this update kit.
just pivot blocks and hingepins is alot (20-30 grams easy)
Old 01-07-2021, 12:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Very interested on how it performs but I’ll likely have one soon!
Old 01-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Old 01-10-2021, 03:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease

Why are they going back to mi5evo style suspenssuspensions ? Anything wrong with mi6 and 7 original ?
Old 01-10-2021, 07:44 AM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
Why are they going back to mi5evo style suspenssuspensions ? Anything wrong with mi6 and 7 original ?
In my opinion, the new suspension system looks much improved over the Mi5 (that I used to race), because its unsprung mass is much lower. The Mi5 A-arm system including the C-hub style joke in the front was super heavy despite the carbon fibre.
The new suspension looks like it is a good step forward. Has anybody got experience with the durability of the steering knuckles? They are plastic, but look rather robust. Any issues?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by h2e
In my opinion, the new suspension system looks much improved over the Mi5 (that I used to race), because its unsprung mass is much lower. The Mi5 A-arm system including the C-hub style joke in the front was super heavy despite the carbon fibre.
The new suspension looks like it is a good step forward. Has anybody got experience with the durability of the steering knuckles? They are plastic, but look rather robust. Any issues?
i had mine about 6 months and had zero issues with the plastic knuckles, as far as the new suspension I’m waiting for it to arrive tomorrow and will be using it this weekend at a indoor carpet race

Rick Vessell and Ggrant like this.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:34 AM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i had mine about 6 months and had zero issues with the plastic knuckles, as far as the new suspension I’m waiting for it to arrive tomorrow and will be using it this weekend at a indoor carpet race
While you have the parts apart, would you mind sharing the unsprung weight of the two variants? That would mean weight of lower and upper arms plus all attachments, plus knuckles and driveshafts with bearings and hexes? That would be very interesting!
Almost what you have on your picture, minus suspension pins maybe.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by h2e
While you have the parts apart, would you mind sharing the unsprung weight of the two variants? That would mean weight of lower and upper arms plus all attachments, plus knuckles and driveshafts with bearings and hexes? That would be very interesting!
Almost what you have on your picture, minus suspension pins maybe.
team drivers told me that shaves off about 30grams of weight
Ggrant likes this.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Nothing "wrong". The new arms are longer and therefore make the car "faster / better".

Originally Posted by h2e
I run Mod and even dremeld them 0.5mm lower to try somethings. Never had an issue.

Regards Robert
Old 01-11-2021, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Because it's the new trend lol and they look sexy
Old 01-11-2021, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

The U8159 - Pivot Ball Suspension is on:

It has a 2mm lower roll center when compared to the old arms. Tis is both without any additional shims.
The new rear arms are supplied with a 2mm spacer, so has the same roll center. The front is supplied with a 1mm spacer and is therefore 1mm lower.

The shocks are moved more outwards, which has been tested and proven to be faster.
Also the shock towers are both lower. The rear tower can handle both horizontal and vertical body mounts, which is a great feature!
You do need to Dremel the bumper plastic a little But this isn't a big deal.

Hope the tracks open soon!

Regards Robert
Rick Vessell, qcrc and Flygio like this.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Robert K
The U8159 - Pivot Ball Suspension is on:

It has a 2mm lower roll center when compared to the old arms. Tis is both without any additional shims.
The new rear arms are supplied with a 2mm spacer, so has the same roll center. The front is supplied with a 1mm spacer and is therefore 1mm lower.

The shocks are moved more outwards, which has been tested and proven to be faster.
Also the shock towers are both lower. The rear tower can handle both horizontal and vertical body mounts, which is a great feature!
You do need to Dremel the bumper plastic a little But this isn't a big deal.

Hope the tracks open soon!

Regards Robert
looking good Robert! Mine just arrived

Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

That looks sweet!

what are the wire rods poking up from the front knuckles? If they are to measure caster on a setup station could you post some pics and details?
Old 01-11-2021, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gimpy racer
That looks sweet!

what are the wire rods poking up from the front knuckles? If they are to measure caster on a setup station could you post some pics and details?
Those are to support the body. Most of new kits have it.

But regarding caster measurement, Marcos J. has a pretty neat solution. I've seen it a couple of times around the forum, but can't remeber where exactly. Hopefuly he will post a picture here aswell.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

All good, he had posted a pic a while ago and was very helpful. I saw the rods and thought it was a different method to measure caster.
mr.rev likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.