Like Tree261Likes

Schumacher Mi7

Old 05-11-2020, 11:25 AM
  #256  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,023
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Larrysraceprep View Post
Ps I was totally wrong about putting weight on the rear of the car the car was much better nose heavy as you can see I put 20 g of ballast in the front underneath the steering rack and The only thing missing on the set up sheet is the aluminum lower shock mounts and spring bottoms also I added a total of 0.14 shims to The shock o rings just to tighten them up a little bit my car was getting air in the shocks after a few runs and 2 o ring bump stops to the front and 1 to the rear shocks

Woah i like the drive shaft boots you have there! very cool! The bump stop idea seems very neat too.
Double D Donuts is offline  
Old 05-11-2020, 06:39 PM
  #257  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by qcrc View Post
Have you checked the condition of your pinion gear?
The condition of the pinion seems fine upon visual inspection, none of the tooth are chipped or bent. The track I run on is a bit dirty, and I ran other cars with similar set ups without changing the spur for months. My guess is there's play where the 3 screws holding the spur to the center pulley.
ericric38 is offline  
Old 05-12-2020, 03:41 AM
  #258  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by ericric38 View Post
The condition of the pinion seems fine upon visual inspection, none of the tooth are chipped or bent. The track I run on is a bit dirty, and I ran other cars with similar set ups without changing the spur for months. My guess is there's play where the 3 screws holding the spur to the center pulley.
Hi Eric,

I also running a MI7 in HK with the same motor and don't hv yr problem. Can u shoot a photo of your car from the top? See if there is any hints.
Dominic Au is offline  
Old 05-17-2020, 06:17 AM
  #259  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by Dominic Au View Post
Hi Eric,

I also running a MI7 in HK with the same motor and don't hv yr problem. Can u shoot a photo of your car from the top? See if there is any hints.
Hi Dominic, tried several times to post a shareable link to the reply but I need to post a certain number of post before I can do that so... i tried to do do some maintainace to the car in past couple of days. I took out the side to side play on the center pully, got a new motor, and a few spurs. The only think I haven't got is a new pinion. I didn't have time for the track this weekend so couldn't test anything. I'll be going to the track next week and see if the changes I've made impoves the gear stripping issue.

ericric38 is offline  
Old 05-20-2020, 05:41 PM
  #260  
Tech Initiate
 
Pedmar007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Barbados
Posts: 44
Default

I'm not using a Schumacher kit but I browse the forums to get information that could help in any improvements to my kit's performance. This is the first time I've ever heard of carbon fiber rods to be cut and used as hinge pins on these kits. What I wanted to know is what did you use to cut them clean? I've found some on eBay and will definitely give these carbon rods a try. There's a steel works company near where I live so I'll ask them to cut for me. Don't want to DIY and not have a clean precise cut.
Pedmar007 is offline  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:08 PM
  #261  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Larrysraceprep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin tx USA
Posts: 171
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pedmar007 View Post
I'm not using a Schumacher kit but I browse the forums to get information that could help in any improvements to my kit's performance. This is the first time I've ever heard of carbon fiber rods to be cut and used as hinge pins on these kits. What I wanted to know is what did you use to cut them clean? I've found some on eBay and will definitely give these carbon rods a try. There's a steel works company near where I live so I'll ask them to cut for me. Don't want to DIY and not have a clean precise cut.
I just used a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel itís very easy you might need to use the sandpaper to get them down to the correct size if I remember it was 3.14 mm usually the rod is just a tiny bit too thick as for the heat shrink on the front axles in modified on asphalt I was having a problem keeping the pins from coming out a few times thatís what itís primarily for but also it allows you to pack the joint with grease kind of like a real car
Larrysraceprep is offline  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:18 PM
  #262  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Larrysraceprep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Austin tx USA
Posts: 171
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ericric38 View Post
Hi all, first time posting! My name is Eric from Hong Kong and too have the Schumacher Mi7. I put together the kit in March and after a month of social distancing and local tracks reopening, I was able to "test" the Mi7 for the very first time this past Saturday.

First impressions of the car, the build was really nice, the quality and precision of the parts, how everything assembled was just super enjoyable. Before the Mi7, I ran the Destiny RX-10SR 2.0, Xpress XQ1 and SMJ CX-11. none of the build quality compared to the Mi7. I run 13.5 on the Mi7 and the cars I've previously mentioned and the stock settings alone really impressed me. The car was very predictable, responsive and turns in very well. The local track I run the car at has loose grip and bumpy and I have to say the car really handled the track well.

As good as the car is, I have a question I would like to ask all the more experienced racers here on the Mi7 forum and is about spur gears stripping. The kit comes with an arrowmax 32 pitch spur, and I've opted for the 64 pitch AXON spur gears because this is what I've always ran. But for some reason, whenever I break really hard, for example before entering a corner after the main straight, I would hear a gnarly "cracking sound". The track is pretty big and I can hear it from the driver stand outdoors! Few laps later, you guessed it, the spur was stripped. At first i thought it was a bad mesh, so I've had more experienced racers double check multiple times. i know there was nothing wrong with the car, everything was tight and the car was not in any crashes. So I ended the track day with a big question mark on my head...so I decided to see if anyone had that issue before here on the forums.

I use a 13.5T Muchmore Specter motor (old, a direct transplant from my previous car) paired with a "Lee Speed" (local brand) titanium pinion (38 tooth 64 pitch). After the track day, I inspected the center pulley to check for play. There was a little play (0.1mm) from the bearings and the spur gear was screwed on tightly. I then inspected the center pulley by taking it out and turning the spur while it was secured to the center pulley and it didn't bulge (maybe I couldn't really too much force into it before it started to hurt my hand.

Hope I this was enough information about my car. Im really loving it so far minus the annoying spur gear stripping after every pack of battery. But on the flip side, changing the spur gear on this car is a breeze!
I too have not been able to make the Schumacher brand gears last more than about four minutes you must use a different brand gear Iím actually using 48 pitch in modified for the first time ever but the few times I ran stock it even stripped the 64 pitch Schumacher gears so I went to Axon and Kimbrough havenít had The problem again But a lot of times the cracking sound on the break is the front belt skipping thatís why I added the top deck pitch control brace so the bulkhead doesnít Flex rearward under hard braking
ericric38 likes this.
Larrysraceprep is offline  
Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 AM
  #263  
Tech Initiate
 
Pedmar007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Barbados
Posts: 44
Default

Thanks.
Pedmar007 is offline  
Old 05-26-2020, 07:02 AM
  #264  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,023
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Had my car out for the first time this past weekend. the car is very good out of the box. As of now I'm (as usual) 6-7 tenths off the super fast guys but still a solid "A" main pace with the car. I did a few runs with the stock springs and then moved to Xray 2.5 in the front and 2.6 in the rear. the car picked up pace but was a bit unstable, and was super quick to roll if I got on the curbing. I moved to Xray 2.5-2.8 progressive all around and the car was able to keep pace but wouldnt catapult me off the curbs. I went up a step on the swap bars and the car picked up pace again. A couple locals drove it and they said it feels great, just work on driving better lines.

track - jackson raceway in NJ
qcrc and Robert K like this.

Last edited by Double D Donuts; 05-26-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Double D Donuts is offline  
Old 05-27-2020, 04:38 AM
  #265  
Tech Initiate
 
Robert K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by ericric38 View Post
Hi all, first time posting! My name is Eric from Hong Kong and too have the Schumacher Mi7. I put together the kit in March and after a month of social distancing and local tracks reopening, I was able to "test" the Mi7 for the very first time this past Saturday.

First impressions of the car, the build was really nice, the quality and precision of the parts, how everything assembled was just super enjoyable. Before the Mi7, I ran the Destiny RX-10SR 2.0, Xpress XQ1 and SMJ CX-11. none of the build quality compared to the Mi7. I run 13.5 on the Mi7 and the cars I've previously mentioned and the stock settings alone really impressed me. The car was very predictable, responsive and turns in very well. The local track I run the car at has loose grip and bumpy and I have to say the car really handled the track well.

As good as the car is, I have a question I would like to ask all the more experienced racers here on the Mi7 forum and is about spur gears stripping. The kit comes with an arrowmax 32 pitch spur, and I've opted for the 64 pitch AXON spur gears because this is what I've always ran. But for some reason, whenever I break really hard, for example before entering a corner after the main straight, I would hear a gnarly "cracking sound". The track is pretty big and I can hear it from the driver stand outdoors! Few laps later, you guessed it, the spur was stripped. At first i thought it was a bad mesh, so I've had more experienced racers double check multiple times. i know there was nothing wrong with the car, everything was tight and the car was not in any crashes. So I ended the track day with a big question mark on my head...so I decided to see if anyone had that issue before here on the forums.

I use a 13.5T Muchmore Specter motor (old, a direct transplant from my previous car) paired with a "Lee Speed" (local brand) titanium pinion (38 tooth 64 pitch). After the track day, I inspected the center pulley to check for play. There was a little play (0.1mm) from the bearings and the spur gear was screwed on tightly. I then inspected the center pulley by taking it out and turning the spur while it was secured to the center pulley and it didn't bulge (maybe I couldn't really too much force into it before it started to hurt my hand.

Hope I this was enough information about my car. Im really loving it so far minus the annoying spur gear stripping after every pack of battery. But on the flip side, changing the spur gear on this car is a breeze!
Originally Posted by Larrysraceprep View Post
I too have not been able to make the Schumacher brand gears last more than about four minutes you must use a different brand gear Iím actually using 48 pitch in modified for the first time ever but the few times I ran stock it even stripped the 64 pitch Schumacher gears so I went to Axon and Kimbrough havenít had The problem again But a lot of times the cracking sound on the break is the front belt skipping thatís why I added the top deck pitch control brace so the bulkhead doesnít Flex rearward under hard braking
I've been thinking of these post's for a couple of days now. Running indoor 17.5T with a Arrowmax spur gear and even with an Arrowmax 17.5T molded (plastic) pinion I've not had any problems.

Going outdoors with 4.5T Mod I indeed smashed a couple of spur gears mostly under breaking at the end of the straight. Put I couldn't wrap my head around it, but talking with some other MI7 drivers I just didn't mesh my gears right. In stock I had more space between the teeth and tried that with 4.5T mod too. Meshing the gears right I've now had 3 complete day's on one spur gear 4.5T mod without any problems.

What Iím trying to say is that I now have the gears meshed a bit closer, (still have a tiny bit of play) and I'm not having any problems with my gears anymore. Mainly because I forgot how to mesh the gears running mod Hope it Helps

Regards Robert


qcrc and ericric38 like this.
Robert K is offline  
Old 05-27-2020, 07:29 PM
  #266  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks Larry and Robert for the reply. I haven't been able to run the car for the past 2 weeks cause of the rain. But some since my original post, I've did some maintenance and got a few new things for the car, including a few new axon 112 tooth spurs, a new Teampowers 13.5T motor and a new 38 tooth pinion (aluminum). I've also removed the side to side play (still has some and spins freely and not wobbles). Lubed up all the bearings in the car and hope to hit the track again this Saturday and I'll report back!

Originally Posted by Larrysraceprep View Post
I too have not been able to make the Schumacher brand gears last more than about four minutes you must use a different brand gear I’m actually using 48 pitch in modified for the first time ever but the few times I ran stock it even stripped the 64 pitch Schumacher gears so I went to Axon and Kimbrough haven’t had The problem again But a lot of times the cracking sound on the break is the front belt skipping that’s why I added the top deck pitch control brace so the bulkhead doesn’t Flex rearward under hard braking
Another question I wanted to ask was belt tension. Larry you mentioned the cracking sound under breaking was due to the belt skipping. So you run your front and rear belts pretty tight? I will see how the track day goes this Saturday, if the issue persists, I'll look into the "top deck pitch control brace" solution you previously mentioned and had a photo of.

Originally Posted by Robert K View Post
I've been thinking of these post's for a couple of days now. Running indoor 17.5T with a Arrowmax spur gear and even with an Arrowmax 17.5T molded (plastic) pinion I've not had any problems.

Going outdoors with 4.5T Mod I indeed smashed a couple of spur gears mostly under breaking at the end of the straight. Put I couldn't wrap my head around it, but talking with some other MI7 drivers I just didn't mesh my gears right. In stock I had more space between the teeth and tried that with 4.5T mod too. Meshing the gears right I've now had 3 complete day's on one spur gear 4.5T mod without any problems.

What I’m trying to say is that I now have the gears meshed a bit closer, (still have a tiny bit of play) and I'm not having any problems with my gears anymore. Mainly because I forgot how to mesh the gears running mod Hope it Helps

Regards Robert
Robert, are you running 64p pinion and spur? I too run the gears meshed a bit closer with tiny bit of play. I had the gear cross checked by a more experienced racer with a magnify glass , turned it a few times to make sure the gears don't "dig" into each other. Upon further inspection, the teeth on my old pinion was getting sharp, so I got a new one as it was fairly cheap. Really hope this solves the issue so push the car more

ericric38 is offline  
Old 05-30-2020, 09:34 AM
  #267  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
MaxRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 532
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If you can hear a belt skipping in the car from the drivers stand, make sure to tighten it, specially for mod racing. There is no advantage to running them loose.
MaxRain is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.