Like Tree318Likes

Serpent X20

Old 10-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Tech Initiate

My guess is that on the basis of 411, the current C-seat suspension system is changed to the upper and lower double-ball heads, and then replaced with the popular MlD motor mount.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

OK, Serpent... the cat is finally out of the bag for the new SRX-2 G3 buggy - time to start thumb-twirling again while we anxiously await more information about the X20. Of course, before then, Iím willing to bet that yet another Serpent project will be teased before we get full details on this car. It has been like this since early Summer, it seems.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

End of this month release Medius X20
Old 10-18-2019, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

Phototype
Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 AM
Tech Champion

Rear
Old 10-19-2019, 01:19 AM
Tech Rookie

So, a 4x with motor more central and ordinary shocks...
Old 10-19-2019, 04:12 AM
Tech Adept

I thought it has been proven that pivot ball electric cars are no good?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post

whats the reason pivot ball is no good? Looking to get a tc and this car is on my list of possible cars.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Christian can chime in on that one.......looks pretty fragile to me, pretty car though!
Old 10-19-2019, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by F1fletch View Post
Christian can chime in on that one.......looks pretty fragile to me, pretty car though!
All I know is Mugen came out with a front pivot ball on the first addition of MTC1 and the car sucked on carpet and I think not so well on asphalt. So they added a upgrade to standard front end and the car is much better. Even in the past they have tried and none has stuck with the pivot ball setup.
I think if it was a proven system you would see more companies using it.
I hope I am wrong because I have personally never ran a pivot ball on a touring car.

Last edited by Brian10811; 10-19-2019 at 04:47 AM. Reason: addded a comment.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

All I know is Mugen came out with a front pivot ball on the first addition of MTC1 and the car sucked on carpet and I think not so well on asphalt. So they added a upgrade to standard front end and the car is much better. Even in the past they have tried and none has stuck with the pivot ball setup.
I hope I am wrong because I have personally never ran a pivot ball on a touring car.
The Mugen did not have a pivot ball front suspension. It had a Micro Caster block design paired up with a hinge pin upper arm. I thought the consensus was it was just not as good on carpet?

Regardless, the Awesomatix, which is arguably the fastest and best TC right now is a pivot ball car. Many argue that in the past the issue was the weight of the suspension system of the cars. Being heavier than the hinge pin cars, this was blamed as the reason for performing worse. With newer design and technology, it seems that the pivot ball cars may now have the edge in the weight department, so if the geometry is right, and we apply the same logic, could we not say pivot ball cars have the potential to be better? The suspension on this car looks simple and lightweight if you ask me.

I will say that the potential durability may be lowered due to the forces of crashes being focused on the threads of the upper and lower outer pivot balls vs a hinge pin, but this is a particular good design in that dept. The threads are moved all the way out, which should make it tougher. Itís a better designed upper arm than the one on the Mi7 at least.

FWIW, I am really liking the direction serpent is going with all their platforms across on road and off road. This car is no exception.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post

The Mugen did not have a pivot ball front suspension. It had a Micro Caster block design paired up with a hinge pin upper arm. I thought the consensus was it was just not as good on carpet?

Regardless, the Awesomatix, which is arguably the fastest and best TC right now is a pivot ball car. Many argue that in the past the issue was the weight of the suspension system of the cars. Being heavier than the hinge pin cars, this was blamed as the reason for performing worse. With newer design and technology, it seems that the pivot ball cars may now have the edge in the weight department, so if the geometry is right, and we apply the same logic, could we not say pivot ball cars have the potential to be better? The suspension on this car looks simple and lightweight if you ask me.

I will say that the potential durability may be lowered due to the forces of crashes being focused on the threads of the upper and lower outer pivot balls vs a hinge pin, but this is a particular good design in that dept. The threads are moved all the way out, which should make it tougher. Itís a better designed upper arm than the one on the Mi7 at least.

FWIW, I am really liking the direction serpent is going with all their platforms across on road and off road. This car is no exception.
Awesome and thank you for clearing it up. I like seeing all these new platforms and layouts. It is great to see chassis that do not all look the same.
CristianTabush, Marcos.J and DBM like this.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

the issue with the MTC1 Is that with standard front end theroll center is higher than the rear, therefore giving the car very strange and inconsistent handling also the chassis flex is very bad.... I'm excited for the x20 seen to be headed the right direction
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Hmm, so looking at those pictures, it looks like theyíre still committed to the active toe rear end. Iím wondering if with the new car, they are reconsidering this as a viable option? It was my understanding from when I originally read up on the 4X that they relegated that configuration to a preference for Stock racing, and recommended the fixed toe configuration for Modified on the 4X Pro.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:25 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Hmm, so looking at those pictures, it looks like theyíre still committed to the active toe rear end. Iím wondering if with the new car, they are reconsidering this as a viable option? It was my understanding from when I originally read up on the 4X that they relegated that configuration to a preference for Stock racing, and recommended the fixed toe configuration for Modified on the 4X Pro.
I'm sure that you can set it so that there is no rear toe change through suspension travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.