Like Tree347Likes

Serpent X20

Old 02-11-2020, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dlruk View Post
He qualified 7th at ETS this weekend which was good considering the field https://www.myrcm.ch/myrcm/report/en/49404/245157
Wow the competition at that level is so high! All of the best in the world is in that class.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

This is the next track I will be testing and refining my setup for the X20. I should know by Friday if I can attend the Valkaria RC Raceway Sunday.
The X20 has came a long ways for my testing in 17.5 blinky. I hope to have a solid base setup soon. I will be testing with a Gizmo guy. We have been sharing info on how the cars compare. I think they are pretty close. One has C hub and Serpent has pivot ball. Good R& D.
dawgmeat likes this.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Wow, nice layout! Although I do have to say that the drivers’ stand is a little biased toward the left side of the track. I’m guessing that preference is going to lean toward the right side of that stand, hehe.

Originally Posted by dlruk View Post
He qualified 7th at ETS this weekend which was good considering the field https://www.myrcm.ch/myrcm/report/en/49404/245157
Yeah, I’d say that the European scene is arguably the best in the world right now in TC (not to take anything away from the talent pool building across Asia), so an A main appearance is certainly something to celebrate!
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Just to clear up and provide a little confirmation. A lot of us in the US are running front upper arms in the rear upper position. That is in everything from USGT thru Modified. There is no difference in them other than the length at the end to provide more support for the pivot ball threads when running a wider track width. As to why they just don't make them both the same, remember the US is the ONLY market on black carpet, the rest of the world runs a lot lower traction, and the narrower car rotates better when traction is low.
I've never raced on black carpet but it really seems to be another world... By the way I setup my car for normal carpet, the thread is visible (about 2.5 mm) so it would be better to use front upper arms in the rear, even with 185mm in the rear.

Another question : where to find X20 spares and hop ups in Europe? It really seems that spares are harder to get than HPI lol
Old 02-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
I've never raced on black carpet but it really seems to be another world... By the way I setup my car for normal carpet, the thread is visible (about 2.5 mm) so it would be better to use front upper arms in the rear, even with 185mm in the rear.

Another question : where to find X20 spares and hop ups in Europe? It really seems that spares are harder to get than HPI lol
I think so, the more thread in the arm the better.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Austin Wolfe setup at Valkaria running 17.5.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

21.5T setup for Castle Hill Australia
None of the setups I've found were suitable for a low traction asphalt and technical track, so I thought I'd put my own for others to have a base setup for similar tracks.
The setup changes that helped the most was the diff oil, wheelbase, and the roll center shims.
Next thing I'd play around with is the track width. Car might be too wide.

Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

Interesting setup you are running down-under..
I am surprised that you can run so little droop on a low grip surface . Perhaps you are measuring your droop different than me. I am measuring the car's droop/ down stop by taking the wheels off and placing on a flat surface. Then I am measuring the gap between the pivot ball hub to the flat surface with my droop gauge.

Also I see you are running only one shim under the front upper roll center. I tried running that and my tires started coning very fast over one qualifier.
Your gear diff oil is also a interesting surprise for low grip also. I still have not made it down that low on our medium grip surface.

But you know. One thing I have discovered is every outdoor track has a different surface and every driver drives different. As long as it works for you is all that matters. Thanks for posting.
BigRon and herrokero like this.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Our little track is a special case from what I've seen so far, and subsequently requires special setups. Not to mention its not actually asphalt, it's concrete. It gave me a real culture shock when I tried a track that actually had grip for the first time.

For the droop, I think I set it like how you described. There's at least 5mm of actual droop travel with the wheels on.
I'll likely put an extra 1mm on the front upper roll center as I've just noticed the wear on the front tyres, like you experienced. Initially, my 1mm front upper roll center gave the car enough steering when the additive wore off, but made the car too sensitive during the beginning of the run.
As for the diff oil, the 10000 kit setup sounded ridiculous so I tried 4000 at first, but still had to be pretty careful on the throttle. Got suggestions from other club members to use 2000, and it's been pretty good so far.

The pain of setting this car up pretty much drove me to make the setup sheet. No one should have to experience the standard kit setup on a low traction track. It's inhumane.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

The guidelines I was given for measuring droop (using A Hudy gauge set) was to rest the chassis on droop blocks, then measuring with a gauge designed for the blocks in use, check the outer point of the arm (not the hub) to measure droop.

That being said, if you already have a method that has been working for you, there’s no need to change, so long as you are consistent with your method... Of course, it might be difficult sharing that information (on a set up sheet, for example) if someone is used to another method, but that’s what the “Notes” section of the setup sheet is for.
miller tyme likes this.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by herrokero View Post
Our little track is a special case from what I've seen so far, and subsequently requires special setups. Not to mention its not actually asphalt, it's concrete. It gave me a real culture shock when I tried a track that actually had grip for the first time.

For the droop, I think I set it like how you described. There's at least 5mm of actual droop travel with the wheels on.
I'll likely put an extra 1mm on the front upper roll center as I've just noticed the wear on the front tyres, like you experienced. Initially, my 1mm front upper roll center gave the car enough steering when the additive wore off, but made the car too sensitive during the beginning of the run.
As for the diff oil, the 10000 kit setup sounded ridiculous so I tried 4000 at first, but still had to be pretty careful on the throttle. Got suggestions from other club members to use 2000, and it's been pretty good so far.

The pain of setting this car up pretty much drove me to make the setup sheet. No one should have to experience the standard kit setup on a low traction track. It's inhumane.
Thanks for the reply and very well said and understood. I totally agree with you regarding the base setup. I am guessing the base setup is perhaps better for untreated asphalt track with dusty surface lol. I would guess that you are running the carbon chassis which I would imagine is working well on a very low grip track. I on the other hand am struggling with this stock carbon chassis. Our treated concrete track has been resurfaced and is becoming medium to med/high grip by the mains. I have concluded after this week of running and doing enormous amount of testing setup changes of every king. The carbon chassis has way to much flex and is causing inconsistency and corner speed decrease. I am shopping around for different options of aluminum chassis to try on my efforts to make the X20 a competitive car. I really like the design and the adjust-ability of the X20 but it does have some flaws. The biggest flaw is for sure the chassis. Another headache is the leaky diff. I know some guys have switched to Xray and perhaps I will switch as well. For the time being I will continue rebuilding.
Other than my lack of speed, I do feel like I have found a very good setup and should work very well with a aluminum chassis. I also will be testing back to back testing with my other car Xray T4 and compare the lap times and consistence of the two cars.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Again, where are you sourcing your spares from?
Old 02-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

I am not sure where it will be cheaper for your. The only place I know to buy spare parts from is Serpent Hong Kong or Serpent America.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

this is what I'm using, but thanks to Corona virus, most of the parts are now out of stock :-(
Old 02-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just stop by Desoto racing yesterday, i saw they have a lot of part in stock. don't know what you looking for, but it seem they have mostly everything except steering block.

right now base on what i know, serpent website pretty much have stock status to directly link to HK/ China, while desoto racing have the USA stock status.

another shop that is been active stocking is RCMarket from HK.

Brian10811 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.