Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree367Likes

Serpent X20

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by corallyman
Those long screws, I am almost certain were first seen deployed on the 4x platform but never fully explained. I think I saw them on Viktor's car some time ago. I must imagine that in races when you can use very thin bodies, it must help when the body bends under high speeds.

Steve
Well, I first saw them on Felix Law’s 4X on the front upper arms, where it was explained that it helps support the hood from caving in under the pressure of the air hitting these ultra lightweight bodies at speed up front.

So that was my first thought, as I mentioned above, since maybe the pressure on the rear wing might make it buckle in the rear, but then I saw the rear body post collars on Yugo’s car, and they look like they are well above the reach of those screws, so that’s where I Drew a blank.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn
Well, I first saw them on Felix Law’s 4X on the front upper arms, where it was explained that it helps support the hood from caving in under the pressure of the air hitting these ultra lightweight bodies at speed up front.

So that was my first thought, as I mentioned above, since maybe the pressure on the rear wing might make it buckle in the rear, but then I saw the rear body post collars on Yugo’s car, and they look like they are well above the reach of those screws, so that’s where I Drew a blank.
Yes those A sponsor guys get Ultra Ultra light bodies. Perhaps that is the case. Some even sand down the thickness to make ultra light. I saw it done for oval racing.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Ok, so here is my best and (last) guess to the long screws. Haha. I rewatched the video on my PC and not my phone this time, and those screws are no where near the body to help with deflection when the car is traveling in a straight line, but maybe when the car is moving into a hard sweeper, leaning into it, then maybe it helps at that point.

Car is going super sonic in a straight line and has soft suspension settings, it then turns into a hard left sweeper so the chassis and body lean to the outside which would be the right side. However the right suspension would then lean upward moving that screw in the rear upper arm up towards the body which is leaning downward. The goal would be to keep the light and flexible body off the carpet (digging in) and also off the rear tire, which can cause sudden unpredicted cornering. That's my best guess.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 02-08-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

It kind of makes me wonder if any of this stuff will lead to a running change. I know there were quite a few things on the 4X Evo that eventually made its way into the Pro kit. I would be most interested to see if the additional post that Yugo had installed in the mid-rear makes its way into production.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

He qualified 7th at ETS this weekend which was good considering the field https://www.myrcm.ch/myrcm/report/en/49404/245157
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
What I love in this video is the setup. The roll centers are off this planet... "In the front we have 3mm and in the back 5mm" lol By the way I'm quite reassured because it comes close to the p4x pro setup...
Old 02-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Airwave
What I love in this video is the setup. The roll centers are off this planet... "In the front we have 3mm and in the back 5mm" lol By the way I'm quite reassured because it comes close to the p4x pro setup...
What was also interesting (if I understood correctly) is that he put some anti-dive into the front end?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think I figured out the screws in the upper arms.

They are for supports to float the body, BUT, he was running front upper arms in the rear......so he was probably just using a set that he had previously installed in the front.

Mystery solved.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Interesting shock settings for Micro Thalheimer from the ETS race.

Drilled the shock pistons to 4 X 1.1mm and reduced the overall shock length to 55mm rear and 53mm front. Also drilled the shock cap 1.1mm to get 0 rebound.

Take note that's overall shock length which seems to be easier to get consistent settings over trying to set gap from shock body to spring perch.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

They are for supports to float the body, BUT, he was running front upper arms in the rear......so he was probably just using a set that he had previously installed in the front.

Mystery solved.
Which is interesting, considering that the front and rear upper arms are different part numbers... I was originally under the impression that they were all the same, similar to the pre 3-point rear armed 4X, but apparently not.

Is there REALLY a difference between the upper front/rear arms?
Old 02-10-2020, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Is there REALLY a difference between the upper front/rear arms?
The fronts have more threading space for the pillow ball.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Mystery solved.
I don't have the impression that the rear upper arms are longer than in the box... Are you sure?

Yes they are different:

Old 02-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Airwave
I don't have the impression that the rear upper arms are longer than in the box... Are you sure?

Yes they are different:
If you look at the video you can see that the length from the roll bar mount to the end of the arm is longer than on the stock rear arm. That and I am pretty sure I either read or heard them say that they have been running the front upper arms in the rear of the car, just never put that information together. Not sure why other than more material for the ball stud to thread in? But I'm just guessing on that.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

That's just that we can also see a lot of the ball stud thread... And the rear width was not excessive also... Honestly, I don't understand why they produce difference parts for front and rear, especially if drivers are using the front in the rear...
Old 02-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just to clear up and provide a little confirmation. A lot of us in the US are running front upper arms in the rear upper position. That is in everything from USGT thru Modified. There is no difference in them other than the length at the end to provide more support for the pivot ball threads when running a wider track width. As to why they just don't make them both the same, remember the US is the ONLY market on black carpet, the rest of the world runs a lot lower traction, and the narrower car rotates better when traction is low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.