Like Tree347Likes

Serpent X20

Old 12-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is my poor mans caster gauge.

The scale on the setup tool is a rough marking, I use a inclinometer againt the brass edge to get a better reading. The pins are ground to a point so they locate into the ball studs and the 3mm screws are snug in the capture cups. It works pretty good.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

If your in a rush and need to check your rear toe setting, you can set your car upright and use your camber guage for a quick reference. Not as accurate as a setup station but for a quick check it works.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 221 (100%+)

This is my method and a lot more accurate
Johnny Wishbone likes this.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

I ended up changing my weight distribution on the car from my initial setup. I took all the nose weight out of the car and now have it down the middle of the car. With the exception of some weight on the left of the car for balance the car now scales out with a perfect 50/50 l/r and a 51/49 f/r. The car works well on our crc balck carpet. I did have a small two wheel issue in a couple sections of our track, but ended up going to lighter springs all around on the car and that settled it down.I also changed the ackerman on the car but ended up going to the suggested 1mm spacing. One thing I noticed when I did this and is something to look out for.

THE BALL STUDS DO NOT HAVE THREADS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE STOP, SO IF YOU TRY TO RUN NO SPACERS YOU CAN RUIN THE THREADS ON THE STEERING RACK.

You can fix this by doing a small back cut into the rack, taking out the first couple threads, or never use less than 1mm of spacing.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
This is my method and a lot more accurate
Mine is based on true kingpin inclination and doesn't take into account deflection of the steering arm itself. I use a inclinometer against the brass edge, but I'd need a third hand to take that pic, lol. If your arm is a true 90* to the kingpin then your method would work too.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Mine is based on true kingpin inclination and doesn't take into account deflection of the steering arm itself. I use a inclinometer against the brass edge, but I'd need a third hand to take that pic, lol. If your arm is a true 90* to the kingpin then your method would work too.
as long as you have very accurate holes drilled and a accurate sharpie
Old 12-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Felix is working an a chart to use with the calipers
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

as long as you have very accurate holes drilled and a accurate sharpie
The sharpie marks are just for quick reference, the inclinometer is the accurate measuring device. The pointed ends on the screws locate to the ball studs and provided they aren't bent they run threw a true center line of all three factors. Mine is as accurate as your assumption that both bases of your standoff are the same diameter, lol. I'm sure we both have +/- tolerances in our systems, LOL.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Felix is working an a chart to use with the calipers
Yes more information is in the chain I'm sure.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

The sharpie marks are just for quick reference, the inclinometer is the accurate measuring device. The pointed ends on the screws locate to the ball studs and provided they aren't bent they run threw a true center line of all three factors. Mine is as accurate as your assumption that both bases of your standoff are the same diameter, lol. I'm sure we both have +/- tolerances in our systems, LOL.
agreed it all goes out the window when you tap at the first turn lol
Johnny Wishbone likes this.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

agreed it all goes out the window when you tap at the first turn lol
Taps, LOL. I prefer to show that wall my authority and show it whos' the boss. (Sadly it always wins)
Marcos.J and lorider75 like this.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Old 12-28-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Well, I got all the chassis stiffening parts I ordered in yesterday. Of course, this was BEFORE many of the parts I ordered didnít have pictures, so for the most part, I played it safe and ordered the sets. I did, however, order the hanging steering mount, but low and behold, itís included in the fr chassis stiffening set.

Anyway, I was going to give yíall a heads up, but I see that almost all the pictures are up on the Serpent site now.
Brian10811 likes this.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn View Post
Well, I got all the chassis stiffening parts I ordered in yesterday. Of course, this was BEFORE many of the parts I ordered didn’t have pictures, so for the most part, I played it safe and ordered the sets. I did, however, order the hanging steering mount, but low and behold, it’s included in the fr chassis stiffening set.

Anyway, I was going to give y’all a heads up, but I see that almost all the pictures are up on the Serpent site now.
Cool TurnNBurn, I am interested in the outcome once you installed them on the car and tested them. I look forward in hearing about your review after a race day. Based on Felix's review about the center steering linkage sounds interesting. Are you running carbon or graphite chassis?
Just a heads up. I will be receiving a 1.5mm and 2.0 mm upper deck. I am excited to try and post up my reviews. The upper deck is being made by CristianTabush (RSD/ Gizmo developer)
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post
Cool TurnNBurn, I am interested in the outcome once you installed them on the car and tested them. I look forward in hearing about your review after a race day. Based on Felix's review about the center steering linkage sounds interesting. Are you running carbon or graphite chassis?
Just a heads up. I will be receiving a 1.5mm and 2.0 mm upper deck. I am excited to try and post up my reviews. The upper deck is being made by CristianTabush (RSD/ Gizmo developer)
Yeah, I purchased the Carbon version of the kit, given that Iíll be running on asphalt. It might be a while before Iím actually able to run the car, as the Tekin gear I backordered, which was originally supposed to be available in early December, has now been pushed back to at least February.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.