Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity. >

Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Share Your Experience with ESC accidently connected in reverse battery polarity.

I had an experience when I solder a dean connector from battery to ESC. What happened was in the rush of time. Although I try very much being careful. Sometimes accident do happen.

What happened was I soldered the negative polarity of the battery to + of the dean. The same goes to red cable to the - of the dean.

What happened when I power up the ESC, I feel the 12 AWG cables real damn hot. In a while it cools down.

So I check and my ESC is not working. I recheck the connection SHIT I soldered them wrongly.

What I did was I replace the deans, put back to correct battery polarity. I retest using the battery and ESC not working.

Then I swap it with another battery YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! my LRP ESC is working perfectly fine like normal. I took it to track test it throughly it worked perfectly fine.

So my initial thought I would killed a LiPo battery. If that the case I would prefer NOT my ESC burned down cause it cost 3x my LiPo.

What I did was dismantling the battery Team Orion 3800mAH 30C SPLB.

This is how it looks internally:

What I did was removed the burned cable betwen the PCB to the battery. Pull out the coil from the battery & solder back to PCB. Bingo the battery return to normal operation when do test charge. What I found out the cable between the battery & PCB act like a fuse. Usually we always replace burned fuse. For the case the cable are coiled. You just pull them out from the battery & solder it to PCB.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

You were lucky. Usually the ESC burns out straight away (before you even switch it on), because the reverse polarity destroys the MOSFETs in the speedo. If there is a diode in reverse polarity mounted across these, then they are protected, which is probably why your speedo didn't cark it.
eR1c likes this.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Looks like the Orion's short circuit protection kicked in as intended and saved your speedy. Not sure if all LiPos have this feature but it seems like a good idea.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I bought a new LRP TC Spec to go with my first 5cell mod TC. First time at the track I direct soldered the ESC to the battery and saw smoke coming from the capacitor. I desoldered the battery, realized the battery was rotated 180deg, sent back the ESC, paid like $70 to have it fixed by Associated, got it back, and never tried direct soldering again.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

niznai,

You are right, when I plug in directly I smell something. Touch on the cable it was really hot. Before I manage to pull the connection off. It suddenly cools down itself. Myself is using LRP TC Spec ESC.

itchynads,

Most people said Team Orion join venture with Kokam. They construct batteries with safety in mind. Fact is the mAH & C is quite low. For the same price people can buy 5000mAH battery with 35C from other vendors. But I do not know hopefully someone with brands as SMC, Yuntong, Tekin, TrekPower, Orca, Speed Passion & many others to share their experiences.

adamage,

I wouldn't recommend direct ESC to battery. Reason being each time you plug in the banana plug to the battery connector, arcing will happen with small spark. In later time you have intermittent jerks & excessive heating. If you check the battery contact, you see the gold plated female plugs pitted black.

In meantime most people killed their ESC due to reverse polarity. Many are very careful but at times one mistake can cost a bomb. Just like kill 2 birds with one stone. This mostly happen during races as well during the heat of the moment.

What I did was having something in between like dean connector. If I notice contact problem just replace it.

Last edited by Toh WL; 03-16-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default broke

We had our 2nd qual.up,I plugged the jacks into a lipo and the car started runnind at full speed.I thought the switch was on,but I plugged it in reverse,nothing got hot but the sc no longer works except for the set lights,a novak brushed sc.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tino
We had our 2nd qual.up,I plugged the jacks into a lipo and the car started runnind at full speed.I thought the switch was on,but I plugged it in reverse,nothing got hot but the sc no longer works except for the set lights,a novak brushed sc.
I strongly discourage plugging in reverse intentionally nor unintentionally. It'll immediately kill your ESC and void your warranty claim.

If any issues you can get Novak customer service to action on it. If their investigation found out it was user fault. They will offer your a replacement at lower price. That you have to pay.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Addict

I had my GTB , i was going to preper it for the race and i pluged it in reverse polarity , it made a massive sparkle but i tooked it off imediatly .
Lucky me
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Tech Addict

Seaball could write a book about this Subject....
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
I had my GTB , i was going to preper it for the race and i pluged it in reverse polarity , it made a massive sparkle but i tooked it off imediatly .
Lucky me
If you would check the power capacitor it does heat up badly. I suggest you to replace it. Else you;ll have ESC breakdown in later time.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chubbspeterson
Seaball could write a book about this Subject....
Anyone are welcome to comment.....

Not forgetting most ESC manufacturers are claiming to be bullet proofing their ESC. What is bullet proofing when there are no reverse polar short protection?

Main idea is keep their customers buying again & again.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Im not sure who other then Orion has the short circuit protection but it seems like a great idea. I believe you can send the pack in and just have a fuse replaced and are good to go. I think some people have done it themselves but Im not sure I would recommend that.

A standard plug for lipos would be nice. Either bullets all in the same configuration, deans or traxxas. Make the balancing plug part of the spec too!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
Im not sure who other then Orion has the short circuit protection but it seems like a great idea. I believe you can send the pack in and just have a fuse replaced and are good to go. I think some people have done it themselves but Im not sure I would recommend that.

A standard plug for lipos would be nice. Either bullets all in the same configuration, deans or traxxas. Make the balancing plug part of the spec too!
I had no idea if this is cover under TO warranty. The manual indeed said do not reverse polarity. The cable in between the PCB shown to battery act as a fuse. It's coiled up, you just cut the burnt part. Extend it & solder back to PCB simple as that.

But other LiPo made no idea, hope some experts here can shed a light.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toh WL
I had no idea if this is cover under TO warranty. The manual indeed said do not reverse polarity. The cable in between the PCB shown to battery act as a fuse. It's coiled up, you just cut the burnt part. Extend it & solder back to PCB simple as that.

But other LiPo made no idea, hope some experts here can shed a light.
It not covered under the warranty. But the charge to fix is less then a new pack.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I did learn that the Tamiya 101 ESC does not have reverse polarity protection... but then I also discovered that it is an easy fix. The circuit board on this giant ESC is so old-skool that even a talentless solder-man like me can fix it...

http://www.sosidge.com/2007/03/05/th...ity-protected/

Someone else at my track had it blow in exactly the same spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.