Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2WD drag build - whos built one? >

2WD drag build - whos built one?

Like Tree5Likes

2WD drag build - whos built one?

Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 2WD drag build - whos built one?

A local group of guys wants to get into drag racing, and Im thinking of building a 2WD car for this purpose.

What have you guys built that works really well? Looking for something in the 2S-3S range. Everyone else in my group seems to be running 2WD Slashs.

Is that the best bang for the buck?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

There are two drag cars amongst my friends. One is a Jconcepts Street Eliminator build according to their website. Mine is built off of a Bandit. Both cars use upgrade parts from RPM, HR, Traxxas, and some Jconcepts stuff.

The Bandit looks stock aside from the GTR shocks, and it sits ridiculously low.. lol.

As far as bang for buck, I'd say either a slash VXL, or Bandit VXL. It would all depend on what stipulations your group applies to the build of said drag car. Nobody was a fan of my Bandit. I refused to toss a full fendered body on it.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

How does your bandit run? Pretty fast and drive straight? The local guys want to run a 2WD 2S/3S class and I dont have anything 2WD so this would be a fresh build.

Thoughts on these? They were suggested to me but Im not sure which would be better. Seem to be reasonably priced

https://www.jphracing.com/Jake_s_Per...lider&pID=2053

https://www.jphracing.com/Jake_s_Per...lider&pID=2054
Old 09-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Drag racing has been mostly a niche segment of the hobby. Because the 2wheel Slash was so cheap and easy to find. Most I knew went that way. It’s been becoming more popular,relatively since JConcepts started making some really good looking bodies.

RJ Speed has some drag kits. Though I believe they are more Pancar based, so surface needs to be good.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:16 PM
Tech Adept

Bandit runs straight and true. It's probably the lightest of the bunch, maybe except for the ECX pile of junk the one guy ran. On 3s it was difficult to keep it straight with an open diff, so in went the HR locker. Most runs I'd be either top or second depending on how the launch went.

Those look like LCG slashes, those are perfect to start with. Then just follow the JConcepts Street Eliminator build on their website.

The RJ Speed kits are definitely based on a pan car chassis, and need a super smooth surface to run on. They would be faster than a converted Slash, Bandit, or Rustler though.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

​​The Nova is the JC Street Eliminator car. I used a lot of the ideas from their build for my Bandit.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Ok I think I will go with one of those sliders I posted above. I will go for the drag car look though
Old 09-18-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Hoyle there are many makers of drag chassis. If I was you Id also go with the slash.. but Id also do some changes 1 to the diff .id go all aluminum or go with the rpm. also I slot out the motor mount so I could run a larger pinion and go steel in spur and pinion. good luck with this
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you'd consider, get an FF car. It's technically a 2wd. A lot of guys have used this chassis for drag and speed runs. The FF also is very stable at start ups and tail spin is very unlikely.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4 View Post
If you'd consider, get an FF car. It's technically a 2wd. A lot of guys have used this chassis for drag and speed runs. The FF also is very stable at start ups and tail spin is very unlikely.
Can you expand a little? Ive never heard of the FF, and Google is not pulling up much
Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

He means FWD
Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoyle33 View Post

Can you expand a little? Ive never heard of the FF, and Google is not pulling up much
As mentioned, FF is FWD. Front motor, front drive.

Check out a few FF cars from Tamiya, Destiny, MST, MTS, X-ray, 3Racing, Serpent, VBC, Xpress, and the new MF (Mid Motor, Front drive) A800FX from Awesomatix. These FWD cars can be good drag racers when set up properly for its purpose.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Never really considered FWD for drag racing. My Sakura FF was one of my fastest cars
Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

I run 132 and 500 as many times as I can in good weather in my state and a few below me on the map. My go to cars are a bolink rear wheel drive car A RJ speed 14" dragster and my speed car a Hpi gtpx2 .ive never seen a front wheel drive car run and my stuff is fast many of dollars dumped in this/From Kontronk esc to posiden motors and 2 3 4 cell lipo ..my rj speed has a brushed 2.5 Turn Tops with a Ko vfs esc with 1200 amps it will hit 100 in 132 its a handful to drive
Knockoffracer likes this.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Agreed with the FWD platform as a drag car. Be so easy to manage the launch, not to mention stopping/slowing at the end of the run. The RWD(Bandit) tends to spin like crazy with heavy braking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service