• 2 Post By Lonestar
  • 2 Post By LJH
  • 4 Post By BmainStar

Tt02 upgrades

Old 09-10-2019, 12:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tt02 upgrades

Hi guys

Running a stock tt02 chassis. What are the reccomends upgrades for on road use. Ie going from plastic to metal. Any reccomedations on motors etc
Old 09-10-2019, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Man, the biggest piece of upgrade advice I can give you is upgrading to another car. By the time you've dumped another $100 in hop-up parts, it will still remain a TT02.

The TT02 is a perfectly enjoyable car as-is, and a total waste of time and money the moment you start pouring more cash in it.

if you REALLY insist into spending more money in your TT02, there are plenty of decent suggestions here:
https://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/t...-and-tips.html

For the record, I bought an "S" for my son's first onroad racing season. I bought a front diff locker, the alloy motor mount, I replaced some of the turnbuckles, fixed some of the silly stock steering issues, and my 8 y.o. son still couldn't finish one race for the whole season because the car would keep losing bits on the track all the time as soon as he would hit a board. I gave him my old xray the year after and he's still dog-slow and still hits boards (a bit less, granted) but he finishes races with the car in one bit now.

I would NOT Recommend a TT02 for anything than bashing, which it does supremely well. On a track, it sucks unless you turn it into something that is only remotely connected to a TT02 AND you are experienced already...
Nicadrauspro4 and rippen like this.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Motor mounts, rear uprights, and front universal driveshafts at a minimum.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Bearings, speed tuned gearset, steel pinions, oil shocks. Only metal parts that may be needed are the motor mount/prop shaft
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NumptyRacing View Post
Bearings, speed tuned gearset, steel pinions, oil shocks. Only metal parts that may be needed are the motor mount/prop shaft
You forgot to mention the steering set. The stock plastic steering of the TT-02 is so lousy and wobbly.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So are all of the metal sets I've seen.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My 2 sons used our TT02 as a training car and for racing in our novice class, ...I think all we ever broke in about 3yrs was a front steering knuckle which was easily fixed and only cost about $5 to replace. Its a perfect car for parking lot fun, for racing I'd only recommend for kids just getting in to the hobby ...but agree w/ the other comments it will be hard to go far w/ this car. There are also some frustrating things (the upper A-arms seem different on different models), the stock motor mount is annoying, the steering, the plastic is brittle and doesn't like having screws turned in/out repeatedly ...over time the screws holes become loose.

I got a used TC7 for about $100 for my sons once they got a little better and never looked back. -much easier to work on and you know that it can compete w/ the top drivers if in the right hands and w/ the correct setup.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Unless you plan to upgrade the TT-02 fully to a KR version (see wtcc's TT-02KR) which will cost you so much money, then find another, better kit. If you'd like to stick with Tamiya, get a TB (for shaft) or a TA (for belt) kit. At least a TB04 or TA05 and upper models for parts availability and performance. None of the fully hopped TT-02 will be at par with these kits, stock out of the box. An out of the box TB04R or TA05 ver II R (IFS) is perfect. Slap in the electronics and you're good to go.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've raced a TT02 for the past year, in a control class with limited hop-ups.

Already replaced the tub, now I need to do the steering and upper arms as everything has flogged out. I'm also going to bend the rules and and ditch the dogbones for universals. They come out too easily.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

I bought a TT-02R because I loved the Subaru Impreza so much growing up, and I've put another $100 into it in the form of metal upgrades (other than the brushless upgrade), and it's been a fun and quick little basher.

Would I do it all over again knowing what I know now? Probably not, but it's been a fun learning experience, and it's hard to put a price on that.

Minimum upgrades should be the bearings and oil filled shocks. Anything more than that is going to depend on how you use the car.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:54 AM
LJH
Tech Fanatic

I run solo on a course I set up on tennis courts using sports markers. I have to say for the price the TT02 is just fine, I am powering it with a 10.5t and blinky ESC, installed the high speed gear set, 3Racing motor Mount, the plastic Tamiya oil dampeners, and shimmed the stock steering. I have over 100 hours of run time and the only thing I have broken is a A-arm.

As long as you know what you are buying and don't try to make it something it is not the TT02 is just fine.

Cheers,
Jim
rippen and jgil089 like this.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tt02

I built one for Fun.I threw a hop up on bit by bit.
I can get it around our parking lot track quite well.
I'm Grown Man with a Real Job Lol so I dnt care
how much I spent on this Toy...
Now Eyeing a Real TC so this car has done its Job.
....To inspire Me LOL