Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad? >

Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?

Like Tree165Likes

Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?

Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Okay, tell me again . why a mid motor split SHAFT drive (TC) won't work ?

Torque issues ?
Tamiya TB Evo 7 and TB05 Pro both support mid/front motor locations.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Next time we race in Franklin park stop over & see my latest mid-design. Previous design had the motor in the rear & had a lot
of trailing oversteer ( think Porsche 911) .Now i can run the brakes at 100% without spinning in the turns . New one has motor
in the true mid position not offset like all the rest of the "mid designs" .Chassis is setup very stiff to allow the suspension to "work" .

Nerobro likes this.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalcrafter View Post
Next time we race in Franklin park stop over & see my latest mid-design. Previous design had the motor in the rear & had a lot
of trailing oversteer ( think Porsche 911) .Now i can run the brakes at 100% without spinning in the turns . New one has motor
in the true mid position not offset like all the rest of the "mid designs" .Chassis is setup very stiff to allow the suspension to "work" .
I can't wait to see that.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
I can't wait to see that.
I could never get over the motor in one side & the monster battery on the other... statically balanced yes,but not dynamically.. . perhaps that's the reason for the flexible chassis's on these cars?
Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I got to shake down my T4 mid-motor conversion today. It was very agile without being twitchy. I need to learn how to drive into the corners harder.
Texas Postman likes this.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

I don't understand the purpose for asking the original question. Any car with the motor between the front and rear axles is a mid-motor car. Only a few cars are designed with motors that overhang the front or rear axles (front-motor cars generally being FWD and rear-motor cars generally being RWD). The overwhelming majority of cars are designed with mid motors, so I guess the answer is no, mid-motor cars are not a fad.
silden and gwc like this.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I don't understand the purpose for asking the original question. Any car with the motor between the front and rear axles is a mid-motor car..
You're trying to apply English defined terms to an application where the differences aren't defined by dictionary terms. If you really don't understand... Say so, and I'm happy to explain. TL;DR: Mid motor chassis changes the CG, polar moment, and flex characteristics.
Buckland likes this.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I don't understand the purpose for asking the original question. Any car with the motor between the front and rear axles is a mid-motor car. Only a few cars are designed with motors that overhang the front or rear axles (front-motor cars generally being FWD and rear-motor cars generally being RWD). The overwhelming majority of cars are designed with mid motors, so I guess the answer is no, mid-motor cars are not a fad.
Because you don't keep up with the latest racing trends and you don't understand what we are really referencing to. You just looked at the original question and then didn't even bother looking at the bulk of the discussion.
jlfx car audio, No9 and gigaplex like this.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
You're trying to apply English defined terms to an application where the differences aren't defined by dictionary terms.
That statement makes no sense at all. If words don't have well-defined meanings then they are useless for communication.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Because you don't keep up with the latest racing trends and you don't understand what we are really referencing to. You just looked at the original question and then didn't even bother looking at the bulk of the discussion.
LOL "latest racing trends". You do realize that literally nothing in RC is a new idea, right? RC inherits tech decades after it comes into existence elsewhere. Cheap $49.99 throwaway cellphones are closer to cutting-edge than RC cars are.

From context I assume "mid-motor" is supposed to mean "the motor is exactly in the middle of the chassis rather than being significantly closer to one axle." No, that is not a fad; various touring cars have been built this way since touring cars became a distinct genre. The one that comes immediately to my mind (because I own one) is the Tamiya TA-05, which was rocking a "mid-motor" design 14 years ago. If "mid-motor" touring cars are getting more attention right now, then that attention is the fad, not the design itself. But soon enough, ADHD racer boies will get distracted by another design that they forgot existed.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 AM
Tech Elite

That statement makes no sense at all. If words don't have well-defined meanings then they are useless for communication.
It would be nice if the dictionary definitions were useful universally. But they're not. The useage of words differs depending on context. The question makes sense, if you've followed anything in the last oh.. three years of chassis development.

Going by the rest of your previous response, you're just being a troll.
Dan and simple like this.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

F​rom context I assume "mid-motor" is supposed to mean "the motor is exactly in the middle of the chassis rather than being significantly closer to one axle."
No it's not that either. Mid motor in this thread is referring to a mid pulley arrangement with equal length belts, and the motor just behind that pulley. The motor itself is only a little bit in front of the old location.
Dan and silden like this.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

fyrstormer is the same guy that stated all pro drivers have a stash of motors that are used for different temp ratings (when arguing on why not to use the strongest motor fan).

The guy is on the same level as bert (someone who hardly or doesn't race, but spreads BS). Not saying I'm an expert (far from it) but for some reason, the stupid ones always stand out to me.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
fyrstormer is the same guy that stated all pro drivers have a stash of motors that are used for different temp ratings (when arguing on why not to use the strongest motor fan).

The guy is on the same level as bert (someone who hardly or doesn't race, but spreads BS). Not saying I'm an expert (far from it) but for some reason, the stupid ones always stand out to me.
Bert will be seeking legal advice about the use of his patented schtick and snappy repartee later today.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

...Jeez so many keyboard commando self proclaimed experts then someone gets offended, reports the post and I have to login and look at this dribble.

Can we just keep it clean and civil? Is that a big ask? If not, put your angst to better use, Club committees and regulatory bodies scream out for volunteers regularly, surely some want opinionated people and not just mindless labor for busy bees..... I digress however what were we talking about again? Mid Motor cars right?

Bottom line, Bruno, or Reinhard, or whatever fast driver is still going to hand your backside to you with an outdated T1 FK05 while you run a blinged up A800X Mid Mount ceramic everything with the latest motor esc battery and credit card bill.

So just, relax ok?
Rutters likes this.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.