Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad? >

Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?

Like Tree96Likes

Mid-motor touring cars. Legit faster or fad?

Old 09-03-2019, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA View Post
Back in the days ..I use to own this Ova Cocoon CL03

This is a "TRUE" mid motor car~! You should race it~!
Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chrisimp View Post
mid 2001-2005 lol
Mid motor cars back in the day, the motor was really in the middle and not the shaft. Nice~!
chrisimp likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I still think Schumacher got a lot of things right on the mi5. Vertical top decks and mid motor, downside was the steering rack but when set up properly the car worked well.
qcrc, Sir 51D3WAYS and No9 like this.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisimp View Post
mid 2001-2005 lol
what's this one please? Ofna/GM?

very nice no matter what! are you still running it?
chrisimp likes this.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
what's this one please? Ofna/GM?

very nice no matter what! are you still running it?
it's an RCLAB 7even GT3 silly enough I am still attempting to run it lol, I'm based in the UK and have a ton of them, I update the post on here still when I've got stuff to say just to keep it going for reference sake, check it out for more pics, I've only posted in the last 10 or so pages.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/199-rclab-7even-cars-97.html

Last edited by chrisimp; 09-04-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

With motor in middle, the flex flowness front to rear is halfed because the center of chassis becomes stiffer.
Twisting range of motion is shorter/less in a mid motor than rear motor.
Whether this is an advantage probably depends on track layout/conditions.
In our twisty outdoor asphalt track, preferred rear rather than mid motor awesomatix.

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
I don't see how that is the case. I would say you have way more possibilities when the motor mount is mounted in the center of the chassis vs the rear, this is due to the fact that mounting the motor mount close to the center of the chassis, it does not affect the actual chassis flex as much as when it is in the rear.

When running rear motor position you cannot increase rearward flex substantially in front of the rear bulkheads like you can with a "mid motor" car. However, with a mid motor car, I can simulate the flex points of the rear motor car by using a rear spline. I will say that a rear motor car would not need as much flex in front of the rear bulkheads because the weight of the motor swinging around gives a little more pendulum rotation than a mid motor.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
With motor in middle, the flex flowness front to rear is halfed because the center of chassis becomes stiffer.
Twisting range of motion is shorter/less in a mid motor than rear motor.
Whether this is an advantage probably depends on track layout/conditions.
In our twisty outdoor asphalt track, preferred rear rather than mid motor awesomatix.

Preference of one over the other is fine, and if you think the rear motor car is better for you, then you have to run what is best for you. Lap times never lie.

However saying that a rear motor car has more twisting motion than a center spur gear car is not entirely accurate. This is going to be entirely dependent on motor mount top deck and design. For example, our car twist far more with the new layout than the old layout. (It twists more towards bulkheads though vs the rear motor is towards center and front). The zero tribe kits I have played with have more flex than a standard x-ray. I will say that the Awesomatix feels fairly stiff but thatís probably due to the design of the really wide top deck and really thick material.

Regardless of which twists more, your statement was that a rear motor car has more flex possibilities. I canít say that this is the case. Flex adjustment possibilities are about the same and really chassis dependent, but the areas you can isolate are perhaps a little bit different. A rear motor car limits the amount of flex you can have around the rear bulkhead though and it seems, based on recent set ups, that this type of flex seems to be a positive development that provides better rotation on power and stability off power.

No9 likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post

Preference of one over the other is fine, and if you think the rear motor car is better for you, then you have to run what is best for you. Lap times never lie.

However saying that a rear motor car has more twisting motion than a center spur gear car is not entirely accurate. This is going to be entirely dependent on motor mount top deck and design. For example, our car twist far more with the new layout than the old layout. (It twists more towards bulkheads though vs the rear motor is towards center and front). The zero tribe kits I have played with have more flex than a standard x-ray. I will say that the Awesomatix feels fairly stiff but thatís probably due to the design of the really wide top deck and really thick material.

Regardless of which twists more, your statement was that a rear motor car has more flex possibilities. I canít say that this is the case. Flex adjustment possibilities are about the same and really chassis dependent, but the areas you can isolate are perhaps a little bit different. A rear motor car limits the amount of flex you can have around the rear bulkhead though and it seems, based on recent set ups, that this type of flex seems to be a positive development that provides better rotation on power and stability off power.

Whoa...
Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Could someone tell if really need use thicker diff and shock oil in order to run mid motor conversion chassis, please?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853 View Post
Could someone tell if really need use thicker diff and shock oil in order to run mid motor conversion chassis, please?
When I switched my ARC 2019 over to the mid motor, I left everything the same. The car seemed to have more rotation and at the same time I was more consistent with it. With that said, I don't think you need to change the diff oil.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tbrymer View Post
When I switched my ARC 2019 over to the mid motor, I left everything the same. The car seemed to have more rotation and at the same time I was more consistent with it. With that said, I don't think you need to change the diff oil.
Really?
I saw 1 driver setup sheet mentioned to run 125K diff oil but in T4 mid motor and also driver with another chassis but i forget which one.

Then i hear also to use stiffer rear spring.

I guess is related with different driving style and different chassis.

Thanks for reply!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

Really?
I saw 1 driver setup sheet mentioned to run 125K diff oil but in T4 mid motor and also driver with another chassis but i forget which one.

Then i hear also to use stiffer rear spring.

I guess is related with different driving style and different chassis.

Thanks for reply!
125K seems excessive, I am sure that must be a mistake - rear diff is normally between 2k to 8K depending on class run.
If it is the front diff (not used much) then that could be a possibility but again normally oil in front diff is over 1m
Old 09-05-2019, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
125K seems excessive, I am sure that must be a mistake - rear diff is normally between 2k to 8K depending on class run.
If it is the front diff (not used much) then that could be a possibility but again normally oil in front diff is over 1m
Sorry of my mistake!
I want to say 12.5K not 125K!
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/xra...Korea20190616/
Old 09-05-2019, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry of my mistake!
I want to say 12.5K not 125K!
http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/xra...Korea20190616/
That makes a lot more sense - as I understand it, that will give more power on steering on the exit of a corner
Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
That makes a lot more sense - as I understand it, that will give more power on steering on the exit of a corner
<mode off topic on>
depends about the traction of the track
<mode off topic off>

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service