Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which of these touring car kits would you recommend and why? >

Which of these touring car kits would you recommend and why?

Like Tree12Likes

Which of these touring car kits would you recommend and why?

Old 08-26-2019, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Which of these touring car kits would you recommend and why?

Greetings! I've posted the same topic in the rccralwer.com forums but i figured i should also post it here :P So i'm looking to start a 1/10 touring car project mostly for fun in parking lots and no competitions. However i can't decide which of the kits below i should get:

Tamiya TT-02 (any of the variants including the white limited edition)
Schumacher Mi1 V2
3Racing Sakura XI Sport

Also from what i can tell the Schumacher and 3Racing ones have don't use a drive shaft. Is that a positive or a negative?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

For parking lot and bashing, s shaft driven car is what would suggest. Not that it's a "better" platform but it is easier to maintain and small rocks and debris flying in and out the chassis will be no problem as opposed to hitting the belt, tensioner and pulleys. Of the three choices you've posted, I'd go with the Schumacher.

You might also want to check out more options.

The TT-02 is a standard, all-plastic kit out of the box with a lousy suspension and steering but I'm pretty sure you will end up upgrading this kit and later realize that you've spent so much for it. If you want to go the Tamiya route, there is the TA or TB series. TA cars are belt driven while TB is shaft. Skip the TT unless you're ready to convert it to a KR (check out the TT-02KR thread) which is a fantastic converted TT-02. Otherwise, go for a TB-04R or a TB Evo 5/6/7.

Traxxas 4-Tec is a good shaft driven car for street bashing/rallying out of the box. I have heard and read good things about this kit. The plastics are very durable.

HPI Sport 3 - another shaft kit. I've seen a couple in actual and the people who owns it swore good praises. But like the TT-02, it will require you to upgrade some parts to improve performance and looks of course.

There are many more to choose from. But the ones you choose should also have good products support and parts availability. Tamiya and HPI are available at almost everywhere.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sakura probably offers the best bang for buck.
barry, moparSRT and LzREngineering like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
Sakura probably offers the best bang for buck.
Absolutely. The sakura is the only one out of those 3 that really has much in common with modern day race grade touring cars. It will be good for car park bashing but also competitive if you want to take it racing. The mi1 V2 is ok but based on an almost 20 year old design. TT-02 is really not designed for racing and they are expensive to upgrade.

Another worthy mention alongside the Sakura sport is the Xpress xq1s.
gigaplex and aracefan like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you like do this Bashing , random street or Parking Place ?
Then you should look at the Ride Height.

I have try so many touring cars i cant count them.
More than 20 different i think ,, Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI, and 10 more i think.

Best to Drive is Schumacker, Yokomo and xRay for me. Personal
Anyway these all did not make it long time because of small stones and shiat on the roads and parkingplaces.

Only car that run pretty well was traxxas 4tec.
this car has fully sealed gearing system. BIG THUMBS UP for this
And litte more ride height .

I think the Sakura is to much racing car, its so low.
You must have like 10 friends with brushes and clean the area before any driving.

Today my new road bashers is mostly 1/8 cars

The best you can do is buy buggy, convert to onroad tyres, and lower shocks. also mount them max out at the arms to shocktowers to get the car very low.
When you have your buggy with only 10mm ridehight left, you are ready go fast on any parking space i promise.

If you need that touring car look , you need figure out something, change bodyholders ans so on. Modify , if you choose drive offroad car onroad, mostly this is the best if you modify this a little.

I believe you should look at RALLY CARS.
try search also 1/10 RALLY RC CAR.
these are alot like touring cars, only that they have more ridehight , You will need this if you drive at random parking spaces and roads.

The Sakura is very very low, one little stone and you lost controll.

You need a Rally car i think, all these race *track* cars are way to low drive random places outside

If you want be the most happy Parking Basher you should look at RC Cars that got
1: Atleast 8mm ride height, 10mm is better or more
2: Fully Sealed/Covered Gearing system

These two things is very important if you want ENJOY and drive alot.
Everything else will be alot problem i think

Sorry for my bad english, i live in EU.

Traxxas 4tech or mostly any Rally Car 1/10 must be the best choise for you
good luck

4tech has ride height 9mm
Sakura is about 3-4mm only. One random little stone and you are out if you go high speed

My personal road cars has today 12-16mm ride height.
The 12mm is okey,
the 15-16mm ones is best

When you have rideheight 9mm , you must think also that the shocks needs work, they can sometimes easy go 5mm down onroad
this means you only have almost nothing left

If you have a Sakura with 4-5 mm space only.
Then you cant drive this at all at main roads or parking spaces.
Sorry

Last edited by HardBash; 08-26-2019 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4 View Post
For parking lot and bashing, s shaft driven car is what would suggest. Not that it's a "better" platform but it is easier to maintain and small rocks and debris flying in and out the chassis will be no problem as opposed to hitting the belt, tensioner and pulleys. Of the three choices you've posted, I'd go with the Schumacher.

You might also want to check out more options.

The TT-02 is a standard, all-plastic kit out of the box with a lousy suspension and steering but I'm pretty sure you will end up upgrading this kit and later realize that you've spent so much for it. If you want to go the Tamiya route, there is the TA or TB series. TA cars are belt driven while TB is shaft. Skip the TT unless you're ready to convert it to a KR (check out the TT-02KR thread) which is a fantastic converted TT-02. Otherwise, go for a TB-04R or a TB Evo 5/6/7.

Traxxas 4-Tec is a good shaft driven car for street bashing/rallying out of the box. I have heard and read good things about this kit. The plastics are very durable.

HPI Sport 3 - another shaft kit. I've seen a couple in actual and the people who owns it swore good praises. But like the TT-02, it will require you to upgrade some parts to improve performance and looks of course.

There are many more to choose from. But the ones you choose should also have good products support and parts availability. Tamiya and HPI are available at almost everywhere.
Hmm i get what you're saying but the fact is that i chose those 3 because of their low price point compared to Traxxas and HPI. I mean i've already spent too much money for my TRX-4 and SCX10-II those past months so
Old 08-26-2019, 05:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by LzREngineering View Post
Absolutely. The sakura is the only one out of those 3 that really has much in common with modern day race grade touring cars. It will be good for car park bashing but also competitive if you want to take it racing. The mi1 V2 is ok but based on an almost 20 year old design. TT-02 is really not designed for racing and they are expensive to upgrade.

Another worthy mention alongside the Sakura sport is the Xpress xq1s.
You mean life-sized race grade touring cars right? I must admit i hadn't thought of it this way. The way the manufacturer has set up the chassis with the belt and all reminds that of a real car right? This is like my scale crawlers which are identical to a life-sized 4x4 truck. I like that aspect! Although the Schumacher one looks similar in design to the Sakura one. What about body options for the XI Sport?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Seems like yall are kinda in the same boat....

Suggestions for on-road fun car?
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Going off what most side streets look like, I’d really suggest 1/8. More clearance. The Serpent or Kyosho.

Parking lots are different. Or maybe I’m just lucky to have a few good lots close. I’ve run everything from basic Tamiya TT01 to my Awesomatix and Serpent 4x.

I had had a bad view of belt driven. But it was just the car. Standard belt driven are simple to work on( excluding awesomatix/4x).

4tec, Apex, Vaterra V100, Serpent S411 RTR. Sport 3 was a fail for me.

Most common thing I’ve had with belt driven is spur gears. Either wear or get damaged. Belts actually have not really been an issue. Even my USGT BT4, 2 summer of pavement racing, maybe 2 rear belts broken.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

How can 4tec be fail at parking spaces?
This Car has totally covered gearing system.
And also have atleast 8mm free space / ride height.

Tamiya TT01 i destroy 2 times.
Both times in less than 2minutes.
Always the shitty open big main gear , alot small stones there right away. And then good bye
I dont touch that car anymore,. I hate it so much.
Took me hours build, put alot options also.
That white big ugly main gear goes bad right away always !

LOL

Anyways

Main rules is
Fully covered gear system and ride height atleast 8mm if you like drive outside nice onroad tracks.

If you like a light weight almost bullet proof car at low price that is decent fast
Look at the Arrma 3S BLX Typhon 1/8 Buggy.
Fully protected gearing system.
Light weight.
Awsome handling .
Pretty fast also.
Fun street bash if you use 20t pinion.
This car will not have any heat issues with 20t.
Stock is 15t

You only need 3s lipos, these are cheap, and light weight if you do it less than 60c rate.
You dont need more than 35c to this car.

Anyway now we are out sailing deep .

Kyosho 1/8 GT has exposed gearings . My friend lost his gear system after 10 minutes driving.
Me self got about 2hours. I was lucky

I dont still understund why they have exposed gear system in many Bashers today.
This is insane

LOL

There is only almost negative things with it.
Your BL motor dont like kogging when stones get stuck there either.
We all know stones gets there fast.
This is ok in most nitro cars.

Electric cars with exposed gearing systems must be banned soon. Like all Basher cars. if they are 4wd

2wd cars all got gear cover, when will 4wd has this?

BILLY KELLY you are lucky.
No normal random parking space is free from stones and shiat.

And there is offcourse different types of small rocks. This is about where you live.
your envoirment maybe has soft small stones. This is not problem then.
Here i have SUPER hard micro stones that destroys gearingsystem almost in 5 minutes driving almost always

MAKE GEARCOVER STOCK NOW PLEASE
this is insane how many manufacturers let expose pinion and main gear to sand and stones when you drive electric cars with lipo
Only so you need buy alot main gears.
FA?k That
please
ASK ALWAYS GEAR COVERED RC CAR if you Bash

edit:

4TEC fails me self also
WHY?:
This car is toy grade almost.
No super handling like the others. Yokomos, Shcumacker, all other real race touring cars.
4tec is not that .

I have better feeling onroad now with 1/10 4wd buggy and also 1/8 buggy, i make them low .
Problem is they look ugly. No Lambo body or Ferrari
Anyways fun as hell and durable.

GOOD LUCK ALL

listen always to 3-4 others before you make a move.
never trust anybody
we all are different

TO TOPIC STARTER:
I cant recommend you any of these cars you say about for Bashing sorry
These are not made at all for Bashing Onroad first place.

They are great if you drive in very clean straight nice areas like onroad rc tracks.
Bashing outside at Parking Places and normal roads these is only
trouble for you i think.

There is better Cars for you i think easy.
Listen and learn here . Forum is great always, you get alot different info .

Me self always want Bashers the best possible,.
I wish them the best always also. i Try think extra time always
when it comes to Bashing, or new people.
This is important.
I dont want them be scared.
I wish you stay in this hobby Happy .
No race without bash before i think also.
Many people buy cool RC CAR and this was wrong Car.
They left this nice Hobby. And never Return.
This brokes my heart almost.
Because this hobby is so fun and giving, if you think twice only.

RC Cars can be fun if you choose right car for your self and your envoirment.
This is not easy .

I try help only, please dont get me wrong.
I really want help only.
We need more people to stay in this great RC CAR Hobby .

GOOD LUCK man

Last edited by HardBash; 08-26-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

Sakura breaks easily. Tamiya is my recommendation for parking lots++
Old 08-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TT02, or Sakura. Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If it's just bashing... get the TT02, and enjoy cheap parts and doing donuts. If you ~care~ about the cars, the Sakura is the way to go. You get adjustability, and "everything is race grade" out of the box. That's not the case with most of the TT02 variants.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

I race monthly with high end adjustable equipment from various manufacturers.
But when it comes to having fun in a parking lot, with high speeds and durability, I have thoroughly enjoyed the Tamiya TT-02 platforms for years.
Parts are internationally readily available and its super quick and easy to wrench on.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Unprepared surfaces without boards: TT02... the enclosed shaft does wonders as long as you don't have to follow a line and risk brushing boards.

As soon as you have to follow a trajectory and risk brushing boards (read: race...), the TT02 is an appalling choice, you'll keep losing bits-n-bobs of the front end on the track while still not being able to take turns like the other guys at the track (ask me how I know)

But again, to goof around on a parking lot with some possible rocks and stuff that will chew spurs / belts up, the TT02 is the best choice. Don't kill yourself dumpting $200 in upgrades though - you can cut a mule's ears in short triangles (sorry, not sure how to really say this in english), it will never run like a thoroughbred. All you need is the high-speed gear set that allows you to run standard gears, and the alloy motor mount. The rest is just bling and an endless cash cow for option manufacturers and Tamiya themselves.

Have fun!
jgil089 likes this.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Right now i see many recommends the TT02

I can see why now.
This has full covered gearsystem.
This is very very good.

What about Ride Height ?
What is center-point free here?

This Car looks good , problem is ride height level ?
All my other Track or Drifters from Tamiya always give up outside in less than 3packs_!
This is why i never look here anymore.

Topic Starter=
You like bash at Parking places only ?
Why not buy good bash car ?
You need touring because ? Body and tight looks ?
What is more important?
Nice looking car, or car that runs perfect always at these Parking alot ?

TT02 looks good actually. Anyways the most important if you love bashing is always:
what is the ride height ?

I am not blind
i see already this car is VERY LOW.
Racing track car?
Not basher i think at all

How old is this TT02 ?
looks like 30years old simple random toy cars from china that copy some Kyosho in bad way !
This Car is not made at all for modern Brushless fast fun systems.
Run Brushed motor car.- here you have it TT02 and TT01 that sucks way more because they did not cover the gears in TT01

LOL

2020 soon

if you need street-car looks .
Low . fast. durable.
1/10 body you can have dream car body on.
Then i say 4TEC traxxas.
This is the only OK touring/basher from what i have.
Today i got alot From Yokomo. Serpent. And so on.

Bash =
4tec

Track:
All others

forgett Tamiya 01 and 02 please
PLEASE
they are old slappy dinosaurs that no one like drive today more

Last edited by HardBash; 08-26-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service