R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Suggestions for on-road fun car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1048778-suggestions-road-fun-car.html)

Hoyle33 08-22-2019 05:52 PM

Suggestions for on-road fun car?

I have a fairly good line of bashers that I like to use and abuse, but now I think I’d like to pick up a fast RTR to drive up and down my neighborhood with

I have too many kits to build so RTR would be a priority, and I can change out parts as needed. Looking for a brushless setup as well

I saw the Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0 VXL checked a few of my boxes, and seems to be a good price, but I always value your guys’s opinions

Thoughts?

Billy Kelly 08-22-2019 06:20 PM

It’s a solid street runner. Another would be the Vaterra V100. The 4Tec and Vaterra are very similar. Another is the Associated Apex.

1/8 IC Fan 08-22-2019 06:28 PM

If you are looking to go a different route, the Serpent S411 RTR is a good alternative as well.

Billy Kelly 08-22-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan (Post 15498608)
If you are looking to go a different route, the Serpent S411 RTR is a good alternative as well.

I’ve got that one also.

Knockoffracer 08-22-2019 07:41 PM

4Tec VXL is a fantastic option. We call them TankTecs for a reason. Ridiculous parts availability is a definite plus. The trick adjustable body mounts it has are really nice.

Hoyle33 08-23-2019 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Knockoffracer (Post 15498647)
4Tec VXL is a fantastic option. We call them TankTecs for a reason. Ridiculous parts availability is a definite plus. The trick adjustable body mounts it has are really nice.

Would you buy the brushed version and replace the motor and ESC with something better?

Or just go straight to the brushless?

They both seem to have the same parts other than the motor/ESC combo

Billy Kelly 08-23-2019 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hoyle33 (Post 15498762)

Would you buy the brushed version and replace the motor and ESC with something better?

Or just go straight to the brushless?

They both seem to have the same parts other than the motor/ESC combo

From what I understand, the tires on the brushless are different. But haven’t confirmed this.

I’ve never really had any problems with the Traxxas brushless system. But I decided to just leave mine brushed. When I bought it I had a bit of hope of getting a class going. The brushless version would have been too fast for the track area we had.

JC3 08-23-2019 05:56 AM

I agree that the brushed version is more than enough for street bashing fun. Hell, we run and indoor and outdoor series with the brushed motors and they are more than enough. IMO no need to upgrade anything! Just drop it and go.

Hoyle33 08-23-2019 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 15498796)
I agree that the brushed version is more than enough for street bashing fun. Hell, we run and indoor and outdoor series with the brushed motors and they are more than enough. IMO no need to upgrade anything! Just drop it and go.

I'm looking for something fast. This won't be a race car, just something to bring out on the street or a large parking lot

Now that I'm looking online, I noticed the Arrma Infraction would be a pretty fun street car

Anyone have experience with one of those? It's pricier than the Traxxas, but I've had amazing experience with Arrma with my bashers

Billy Kelly 08-23-2019 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hoyle33 (Post 15498804)
I'm looking for something fast. This won't be a race car, just something to bring out on the street or a large parking lot

Now that I'm looking online, I noticed the Arrma Infraction would be a pretty fun street car

Anyone have experience with one of those? It's pricier than the Traxxas, but I've had amazing experience with Arrma with my bashers

I’ve got a deposit down on the Arrma. But have been reconsidering it for awhile. Tires are going to get expensive quick with that. Now they aren’t as expensive as another I’ve got. But owners have been going though sets in as little as single run. Now I’ve been told that standard 1/8 tires will work.

If you want fast fast then go brushless. There a lot using the 4Tec in drag racing. Running 4s system and getting easy 100mph. But those speed when something goes wrong gets expensive quick.

Hoyle33 08-23-2019 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly (Post 15498806)

I’ve got a deposit down on the Arrma. But have been reconsidering it for awhile. Tires are going to get expensive quick with that. Now they aren’t as expensive as another I’ve got. But owners have been going though sets in as little as single run. Now I’ve been told that standard 1/8 tires will work.

If you want fast fast then go brushless. There a lot using the 4Tec in drag racing. Running 4s system and getting easy 100mph. But those speed when something goes wrong gets expensive quick.

I believe that the tires are going quick, I see lots of people drifting them going 60-70+ MPH :lol: what do they expect?

Billy Kelly 08-23-2019 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hoyle33 (Post 15498807)
I believe that the tires are going quick, I see lots of people drifting them going 60-70+ MPH :lol: what do they expect?

That’s what Arrma advertised the car as. And from the minute it was announced, Tires have been my only concern with it. I went through the Losi6. Great car but could consume a $160 set of tires under any driving conditions. Fortunately an owner came up with adaptor to use 1/5 tires.

I’ve got 2 1/8 road cars. Serpent and Kyosho. Plus the XO1. The XO is actually pretty good once changed to 1/5 tires.

I only run parking lots streets always have cars in them.

Nicadrauspro4 08-23-2019 08:24 AM

I also suggest the 4-Tec. But you may also want to look at some kits like the AE TC4 Club Racer, Tamiya TB-04R, TA-06 Pro, HPI Sport 3, Sprint 2. Don't even consider the TT-01/02. You 'll be spending so much upgrading either cars just to make them perform better. Also, none of their parts are adjustable (except the TT-02s version but still limited).

Billy Kelly 08-23-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4 (Post 15498887)
I also suggest the 4-Tec. But you may also want to look at some kits like the AE TC4 Club Racer, Tamiya TB-04R, TA-06 Pro, HPI Sport 3, Sprint 2. Don't even consider the TT-01/02. You 'll be spending so much upgrading either cars just to make them perform better. Also, none of their parts are adjustable (except the TT-02s version but still limited).

The Hpi Sport3 wasn’t good. Probably the softest plastic I’ve ever seen. Looked good, the sealed drive train was nice concept. But overall it just didn’t work. One the few road cars I’ve ever just sold.

TC4 would be an good option. But it’s out of production. There are used ones. And not too worried about part considering how much was once made for it.

Hoyle33 08-23-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4 (Post 15498887)

I have a TT-02 that I've been sinking money into, but it's a rally car setup