R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-11-2002, 11:42 AM   #31
Tech Regular

I never said SHINY!!! .... (damn... I just said it.....!!! )

Ture I have to put a rubber mat under the HUDY to stop the bloody thing resonating ...
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 11:44 AM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes the mcmaster bits come sharpened. they always ship in good time as well.i have had no problems ordering from them. if the comm is on the right i think you need an "AL" bit.
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 11:56 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The onlyl good thing about a trinity tru lathe 3 is the carrying case and motor tubes. the lathe is dissapointing. it just looks good.
racerfreedxxxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 12:41 PM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

wow lots of activity since my last post. spaz is correct. they do come sharpened. i don't remember which direction i got for my lathe. just match them with the picture.

seems like i'm always on here pimping mcmaster-carr as a supplier. i have no connection to them, other than they are 20 minutes from me so i can pick up whatever i want. i am however continuously impressed with them each time i need something.

the online catalog is complete and easy to navigate.
you don't need an account.
you don't need a vendors license.
there's no minimum quanity or price.
and i believe you can return what you don't want. maybe that's just at the will call desk for me before i leave.
the few items that they had to get from their chicago plant arrived at my house within the following two days free of any shipping charges.
awesome.

and they've only ever picked the wrong item once in nearly one hundred items. not bad, considering it was a shim washer that was .001 instead of .003. i used it anyway. ok, so i had to use three.

really though, for those of you looking to get some of those bits, check their fastener section as well. shims for axles, motors, stainless or aluminum screws...you get the picture. it's not always the best price, but in most cases they kill anything you'll get from an rc company. plus they have some stuff you can't even get anywhere else.

like i said, i don't own stock there. i'm just someone trying to help out a company that helps me like i'm their favorite customer. that's it.

later guys.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 02:10 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ya i forgot to mention that theres free shipping when ever i order from them. thats always a plus.

also i cant remeber who mentioned it..maybe it was big jim..but remember the rest of the machining world cuts everything on lathes in the opposite direction that we cut comms on out comm lathes(they have the bit facing up). so when you check the picture on mcmaster carrs site just flip the picture around to get an idea of what the bit you need looks like.hope i didnt confuse anyone
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:36 AM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Default Carbide bits from McMasters

Ordered 4 bits on Wednesday afternoon for $3.08 each, received them on Thursday - fast shipping & much cheaper than LHS.

Tried one last night and it works great too! (nice bonus)

Thanks to all for the help picking the correct bit.

McMaster part #'s are:
Right Hand Bit: 3367a121
Left Hand Bit: 3367a131

If you are considering ordering from them please see online catalog page #2327 to understand what they mean by left & right hand.
dalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 02:20 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

racerfreedxxxs,

what is your complaint with your true lathe 3 mine is very nice and works well for me. maybe we can help you out with yours.

Jesse
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:31 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Default tru lathe

my problem with the tru-lathe is i'm always bumping my hand agianst the slave motor as i turn the bit. i got my cobra lathe the other day, i got the vari-drive with it to. can't use it though, wife won't let me, says it's for x-mas.

has anybody tried the matrix 55 turn motor for their lathe. i believe it's a 0 timing motor with 55 turns to give proper torque/ rpm for comm cuts. i have heard they make it to run the lathe on 6 cells but i also heard poeple refer to it as a 12volt motor and run it straight of 12v power supply
hyperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:37 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Default Matrix 55t

A guy at the LHs bought one for his brush serrator. I didn't ask what his power supply is though. My Integy Xipp lathe uses a 4 cell pack in the base. I can do a couple of Arms with a fully charged pack. The slave motor isn't labeled with the # of winds.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:45 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Default 55t

i really think that 55t is for using a 6cell pack, that would be handy. the 0 timing would be for effeceintcy so the packs will cut more before discharging. you'd think someone could come up with a cheap way to run the lathe (aside for 4 or 6 packs). those 55t's would be great if you hook it straight to 12volts, but i really think it would take about an 80turn to do that.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:56 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to weaponx

if you go to rc4less they have a slave motor that hooks directly to a 12 volt power supply i beleive it is around 45 dollars
weaponx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:10 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

the 55 turn does work fine and it runs off a turbo 35 without a problem
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Default 55t

weaponx, holy crap, you can hook that thing straight to 12volts! kisbey makes it, iv'e never heard of them, i will search for their website and get some specs on that motor

king, what voltage do you cut at with your 55t? carbide or daimond bit?
Old 12-13-2002, 09:18 PM   #44
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I'm using a 35 turn mod motor with 4 cells hooked up to it. This is the setup that Rob Cutman had when he was Trinity's team manager. It is in a Twister lathe. If you find a Twister Lathe I would buy it as it is still one of the best out their even after all these years.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 09:21 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default tru lathe 3

I have since gotten rid of my tru lathe 3. I know all lathes are basically the same design, but the tru lathe 3 seemed like it took more time to set up and keep a consistant smooth finish. I use cobra lathes and have used a friends hudy lathe. I prefer either of them over a trinity. I would also like to know what people think of the fantom lathe?
racerfreedxxxs is offline   Reply With Quote