Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By massenb203
  • 1 Post By Marcos.J

Shock absorber starting point

Old 08-02-2019, 01:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Shock absorber starting point

Hi all
After some advice regarding shock absorbers. New to RC, i have a 21.5 blinky 1/10 TC. Am running trackstar 49.5mm length shocks and am after a decent starting point for oil and spring as I have no idea. Mainly night time air temp is anywhere from 10 to 20 Dec C, low grip track tarmac/bitumen with plenty of corners. I'd call it maybe a medium speed track.
During the summer the air temp might get up to 30 Dec C.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:05 AM
Tech Rookie

And i forgot to add that i dont have sway bars, but i am waiting for them to become available. Not sure if having them on or off makes a difference to oil grade and spring weight
Old 08-02-2019, 03:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CraigF72 View Post
Hi all
After some advice regarding shock absorbers. New to RC, i have a 21.5 blinky 1/10 TC. Am running trackstar 49.5mm length shocks and am after a decent starting point for oil and spring as I have no idea. Mainly night time air temp is anywhere from 10 to 20 Dec C, low grip track tarmac/bitumen with plenty of corners. I'd call it maybe a medium speed track.
I would start with the stock setup to get the feel of the car were you have consistent driving, then I would change the springs if you need more or less traction and after that I would do the oil base on how smooth the track is.
TurnNBurn likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigF72 View Post
Hi all
what car? what tires?
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have to agree with massenb and reiterate what MarcosJ asked - You should always start with the setup as directed in the kit’s manual if you have access to that. Even though a lot of cars may seem similar, these companies in general have done a lot of testing to determine a “feel good” setting for the chassis, based on the design philosophy that went into it.

That being said, one single setup isn’t the end all, be all for everyone (they usually try to give you a middle ground for general use), but it should at least get you in the ball park to help you determine if changing oil yet again would help you and YOUR driving style - or if maybe you should try changing anything else instead... so yeah, whatever oil the original kit instructions recommend, that’s what I would start with, and see where it goes from there in terms of what general setup changes you need to make.