• 1 Post By Bry195
  • 2 Post By TurnNBurn

Setup question, oil vs roll center

Old 07-30-2019, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Setup question, oil vs roll center

Thickening shock oil vs lowering roll center
one slows responce the other makes car lazy, when is one prefered over the other?

both prefered when car is overly responsive and/or grip level is high, how do we determine which is advantageous?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

To me, I adjust oil depending on weather and try to get it so it can do the whole 5 minutes without the tires overheating @ pace.

Lower roll center will not react as fast but, depending on the grip level, may make more traction overall.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

I dont use oil for roll. i use oil for traction. Keeping the tires on the ground all the time in compression and rebound and to get the tires to stay on the ground through rebound means as little resistance as possible but just enough to keep the car from bouncing in compression. With the difference in sprung versus unsprung weight its not an easy ratio to achieve (3:1 is a rule of thumb) and adding roll to it makes it even harder. Not unobtainable just too complicated for me.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

When it comes to oil, I’ve learned this (and years of racing in high-end simulations have reinforced it): On it’s own, shock reaction speed (controlled by viscosity and valving) controls the speed of weigh transfer, which left to right controls how quickly the car will react to changes in direction, and front to rear, will control how quickly the car will grip up entering and exiting a corner (in sims, some cars have the ability to control compression/rebound individually, providing opportunity for fine tuning even further, but alas, we don’t have this luxury in most RC applications - yet).

roll center, controls how much that weight transfer loads up on the corner/side. Lower RC will resist some of that weight, making the load placed more lateral. And raising it, will make it “load up”, placing the weight more directly on that side corner, at the risk of raising CG momentarily during the “roll”.

In the end, there are so many options available, it’s a game of give and take to find a healthy balance between it all.
b3master and massenb203 like this.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 08-02-2019 at 08:30 AM.