Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car.  Where did they all go? >

A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car. Where did they all go?

Like Tree50Likes

A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car. Where did they all go?

Old 07-29-2019, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

With the loss of the TC4...

Max Speed Technology-PRODUCTCARS - ON-ROADXXX-RXXX-R S

The MST XXX-R comes pretty close. Sadly, it's got a ball diff.. But the MST TCR comes with threaded shocks, droop screws, takes normal spurs, had adjustable wheelbase (a few mm with shims), a rack type steering setup, adjustable toe, sweep, antidive...

.... this is pretty close. And for $149.... That might be "the thing".

And it looks like a gear diff is available.

http://www.rc-mst.com/product_car_info.php?class_sn=26&class_sn2=128&sn= 3061
Old 07-29-2019, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I don't know how they compare, or how to get them in the USA, but the LRP Blast TC may be in the ballpark.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Arena Racing was meant to be developing a new shaft drive car but I haven't seen anymore news about it since the original CAD image surfaced.
Arena RC Racing - Shaft Drive TC
Old 07-30-2019, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
That chassis is such a kludge. :-/ you need spacers and special blocks to get the pins on the chassis, and you can't adjust sweep, pro or anti-dive. It also doesn't come with a sealed diff, or a spool. WTCC reports that while tamiya makes a sealed diff for the platform, it's pretty trashy. I also find the diffs kinda delicate. I've ripped out the pinions on my TT02b at least four times.
Buggies are a whole different kettle of fish in terms of drivetrain abuse though because of wheel size and the amount of grip that a big spongy buggy tyre can generate. A little touring car tyre just skids when the torque becomes too much and that limits the load on the drivetrain. I put a 7.5t on 3S in a TT02 and it survived for ages like that. Absolutely no wear on the diffs. Dropped the same gear into a TT02B and it destroyed the rear diff within 2 minutes flat. The bog stock plastic drivetrain is absolutely adequate for any sane amount of power with normal sized TC wheels/tyres.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

The TC3 was converted to a buggy with some new arms and shock towers...... But I suppose that's a whole-nother kind of kit. :-)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The TC3 was converted to a buggy with some new arms and shock towers...... But I suppose that's a whole-nother kind of kit. :-)
It also had a new chassis, the wheelbase had to be stretched out.

One thing it seems like people are forgetting about these old touring cars is that they weren't really all that good. The old TC3/TC4 and HPI Pro 4 were good for their time, but touring car racing was still in its infancy. They also weren't really cheap, at least not compared to some of the "Sport" touring cars we have today. What does a VBC Ghost cost? $150? A 3Racing Sakura 9 is $107, The Xpress is $100, that is in todays dollars. I don't think you could have gotten a TC3 in 2000 for under $200.

The new belt cars are just better. A VBC Ghost would have been the most advanced touring car in the world in 2003.
Nerobro and DaSilva3525 like this.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

I'm not really trying to extoll the virtues of the old chassis. Just.. shaft drive with "real adjustments" would be the thing for noobs in parking lots. It's not been forgotten. And they're better than a TT02. Which is what I was really getting at.

Now, lets bring up personal experience. First, belt drives aren't ok for this discussion. But since you bring it up, the VBC Ghost is a terrible kit. My particular first one, came with the wrong suspension mounts, missing bearings, and a mis-machined CVD. And then the manual is ~the worst~ I've dealt with. (Mind, I've seen worse, but it's the worst that came with a kit I bought.) it's also $200. Versus the $100 wonders.

The XQ1s, Sakura XI, TD10 V2, all came complete, and "fine" from the factory. Hopefully the new Ghost 18 with the aluminum and carbon I just ordered will be better. I do not have high hopes.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
It also had a new chassis, the wheelbase had to be stretched out.

One thing it seems like people are forgetting about these old touring cars is that they weren't really all that good. The old TC3/TC4 and HPI Pro 4 were good for their time, but touring car racing was still in its infancy. They also weren't really cheap, at least not compared to some of the "Sport" touring cars we have today. What does a VBC Ghost cost? $150? A 3Racing Sakura 9 is $107, The Xpress is $100, that is in todays dollars. I don't think you could have gotten a TC3 in 2000 for under $200.

The new belt cars are just better. A VBC Ghost would have been the most advanced touring car in the world in 2003.
My TC3 was $150 back in 2000. With inflation that's just over $200.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nerobro

I'm not really trying to extoll the virtues of the old chassis. Just.. shaft drive with "real adjustments" would be the thing for noobs in parking lots. It's not been forgotten. And they're better than a TT02. Which is what I was really getting at.

I agree that shaft might be easier. But no matter how great the kit/ pre-built is. Thereís still the big question, how does a group get noobs( or bashers) interested enuff to try?
angrymelon likes this.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

That is a question. And not one for this thread. :-)
angrymelon and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:11 AM
Tech Champion

That is a question. And not one for this thread. :-)
probably right. Itís just that itís the underlying question for threads like this.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree totally Iím the guy who started the other thread looking to get into a touring car but wanted shaft driven. Iím not new to rc and own 5 currently but wanted to try a touring car. Was totally surprised when I could not find a decent higher end shaft car. My 1/10 sct truck is shaft and is a beast. Belt seems ok but I assumed shaft would be more bulletproof.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MadKatt View Post
I agree totally Iím the guy who started the other thread looking to get into a touring car but wanted shaft driven. Iím not new to rc and own 5 currently but wanted to try a touring car. Was totally surprised when I could not find a decent higher end shaft car. My 1/10 sct truck is shaft and is a beast. Belt seems ok but I assumed shaft would be more bulletproof.
I went through the ďbelts are frail, slightest thing will break themĒ stage for few years. Brushless Hpi Sprint2 was such a pain to replace belts, I wouldnít go near them. I was strictly a parking lot runner then. Racing had not even been considered. Then went shaft driven, Associated Apex, Vaterra 100, TC4. All worked great. But was still curious about the high end touring cars. Bought a used XRay T4 with enuff spare parts and tires on a deal couldnít pass on. Yes a belt got nicked here and there. And broke a couple. But found it was only a few minutes job to replace. Also damaged the occasional spur gear. But again. Quick to change. Iíve now got around 20 Touring cars. Still love running my simple street cars, Vaterra, Traxxas, Associated. But also donít worry if I take my T4, 4x or awesomatix out. The 4x and awesomatix Iíll never understand, so Iím a bit more careful, but still spend most time on unprepared surfaces
Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Well, one thing I really like about the shaft chassis is they just looks a bit cleaner. here are two pics from tamiya's website

I understand the belt one is more capable and has aluminum gearboxes. Also the belt one is a bit higher end on the ladder yet the latter is just more tidy no exposed belt and tensioner.
Besides, all the shaft chassis have that high pitch sound no belt chassis vehicle have. maybe just a sign of unnecessary friction but it just sounds right for me. As if the motor is working hard.
Hopefully there will be more shaft chassis out (tub and double deck are both welcomed)there, they are just more robust to the small rocks and have better throttle response....
Nicadrauspro4 and Billy Kelly like this.

Last edited by zxcvb1t; 07-31-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

i bet Bert cant wait to get out of his suspension to add his 4cents here

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service