Like Tree15Likes

Some advice please

Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Some advice please

I run pretty much off road donít race due to my job schedule. Iím looking at getting a touring car for fun but maybe race later if job schedule changes. Prefer a kit car money wise $600 or below have batts and electronics. From my research looks like a 4wd shaft driven car is what I need. Iím in the US so I can get pretty much all the parts I need but prefer a car that is well established. I will be running 65% out door on basketball courts tennis courts. So any direction and advice is appreciated.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Shafties are not very common these days, besides entry level stuff. Just about everything is a belty now.

Perhaps look at an Xray.
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Maybe one of the Tamiya shaft driven cars? TB-05 pro (58658) , TB Evo. 6 (84408) or Evo.7 (42315) come in mind.
For unprepared surfaces with dirt, dust and pebbles sealed drive trains are of advantage, so I would prefere the TB-05 over the Evo Series as they have unprotected final drives.
I'm using some TB-03 for parking lot racing, they do very well for this and match my driving skills. But some spares and useful hop- up-parts for those cars are getting rare, so I'm thinking of replacing them with TB-05.

Michael
Old 07-21-2019, 03:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
Shafties are not very common these days, besides entry level stuff. Just about everything is a belty now.

Perhaps look at an Xray.
So how much trouble can a belt driven car be? From what I have read it seems the insides and the belt are fairly open for debris. Now I wonít be driving on a perfect surface but i will be cleaning it off and it will be pretty flat. Would I be better off looking at a FWD car if shafties are getting rare? I have looked at the Tamyia stuff but donít see many people running those where Iím at.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MadKatt View Post

So how much trouble can a belt driven car be? From what I have read it seems the insides and the belt are fairly open for debris. Now I wonít be driving on a perfect surface but i will be cleaning it off and it will be pretty flat. Would I be better off looking at a FWD car if shafties are getting rare? I have looked at the Tamyia stuff but donít see many people running those where Iím at.
If you're cleaning off the track then there should be no issues running a belt driven chassis.
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Running on asphalt, even swept and blown off, is still surprisingly dirty and your car is quickly covered in a fine coat of dust and dirt. I've run belt drive cars outdoors and they can pick up the odd pebble in the belt and pulley but it is a rare event. Shaft drive is better if the transmission is sealed like on a TC3, TC4 or TB-03 chassis but the dust still has a way of getting inside things. Be prepared to do maintenance.

Shaft cars are few and far between anymore and dual belt cars dominate right now. If you want to try racing and don't want to blow your budget I recommend the Xpress Execute XQ1S Sport chassis as a solid starting point. You need a bit more flex when running outdoors and a fibreglass chassis will work well. The cars are inexpensive and parts support seems good in the USA.

Other options are the 3Racing cars, SpecR, and even the slightly older Associated TC6.2 is awesome. I had VBC cars and they were rockets, but the quality control is poor and parts seem to have dried up lately. Can't say anything for Yokomo as they are expensive and parts are hard to find here.
Double D Donuts likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Great if I clean track Iím ok now are belt driven finicky as in pita to work/ $$ on or same as most other kit cars? Iím seeing lots of FWD cars. How would this compare for what Iím looking for or should say my bang for the buck and wrenching time be better spent on a FWD or 4WD belt if Iím not a huge race guy? Thanks again for the responses this site is always a great resource for knowledge.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run a wide range of touring cars on unprepared surfaces. Both shaft and belt driven. Iíve had the occasional piece of debris get caught. But worst case itís a broken belt. I do best I can to check for stuff on pavement before I run. But canít see everything

Old 07-21-2019, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Great if I clean track Iím ok now are belt driven finicky as in pita to work/ $$ on or same as most other kit cars? Iím seeing lots of FWD cars. How would this compare for what Iím looking for or should say my bang for the buck and wrenching time be better spent on a FWD or 4WD belt if Iím not a huge race guy? Thanks again for the responses this site is always a great resource for knowledge.
Belt drive cars are very easy to operate and maintain and inspection and access to the diffs and belts is excellent. Brand makes little difference other than price with Xray and Awesomatix at the top of the price scales. I don't know where you are seeing 'lots' of FWD cars as they seem rare here. 3Racing had one as did VBC, Tamiya and some other more exotic brands but they don't have the same level of grip as a 4wd chassis and they require a different driving style. If you do get a FWD chassis, look for a belt drive setup. The gear drive cars are noisy and the gears are more susceptible to dirt and pebbles. Replacing the gears is a PITA and can be costly.

As I suggested, a 'Sport' fibreglass 4wd belt chassis is likely your best choice, and the Xpress XQ1S Sport chassis seems to be the best of the bunch right now. The bottom of the chassis will undoubtedly get scratched from running and for me buying a high-end graphite chassis to scrape on asphalt is not my idea of value. That's just me though.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Man you guys are great perfect information that XQ1S looks pretty sweet might go that route upgrade later if I feel the need. Thanks for all the info I feel better looking at the 4wd belted now. Guess I will be adding a new car to my garage soon.
SteveM and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE]Other options are the 3Racing cars, SpecR, [QUOTE]

I recommend staying away from those brands, ...quality isnt very good.

Team Associated, Xray, Schumacher, Yokomo, are all good brands. Go for belt driven if your racing, I've never had an issue w debris in the gearing or belts from racing on parking lot (cleaned) or dedicated track. For bashing I'd recommend shaft and seal3
ed/closed gearing...but not for racing.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Other options are the 3Racing cars, SpecR,
I recommend staying away from those brands, ...quality isnt very good.

Team Associated, Xray, Schumacher, Yokomo, are all good brands. Go for belt driven if your racing, I've never had an issue w debris in the gearing or belts from racing on parking lot (cleaned) or dedicated track. For bashing I'd recommend shaft and sealed/closed gearing...but not for racing.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Man you guys are great perfect information that XQ1S looks pretty sweet might go that route upgrade later if I feel the need. Thanks for all the info I feel better looking at the 4wd belted now. Guess I will be adding a new car to my garage soon.
The Xpress XQ1S Sport may be an economy chassis, but what sets it apart from the rest is how the bulkheads key into the lower chassis plate and how they are also one piece. Perfect alignment is the net result.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Outdoors I'd get a x-ray, u can't go wrong. Very durable and popular.. you'll get help at the track and parts are normally plentiful.
eR1c and silden like this.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
Outdoors I'd get a x-ray, u can't go wrong. Very durable and popular.. you'll get help at the track and parts are normally plentiful.
He's looking for a touring car for fun, and spending $500 plus on an Xray chassis is not always seen as fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service