Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TC Chassis balancing: Hi tech or low tech? >

TC Chassis balancing: Hi tech or low tech?

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By sosidge
  • 1 Post By cplus
  • 1 Post By Lonestar
  • 1 Post By LzREngineering
  • 1 Post By glennhl
  • 3 Post By Bry195

TC Chassis balancing: Hi tech or low tech?

Old 07-13-2019, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default TC Chassis balancing: Hi tech or low tech?

Never balanced a chassis before, so wondering before I drop some $$$.

What's everyone's preference and/or opinion: will balance pins do an accurate job, or is it worth spending the cash on one of the digital balance setups?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-13-2019, 04:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Low tech works fine. Nail-in chair feet work as balance pins and are CHEAP.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

For actual balance, pins are simpler and arguably better - the extra information on the scales can easily be misinterpreted, the pins are solely for balance.

I use golf tees if the chassis has holes drilled in the underside. If the towers have holes, you can use strong thread or fishing line.
eR1c likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Balancing on pins vs balancing via corner weights can’t really be compared.

You can corner weight car by adjusting spring loads and it still won’t be “balanced” left to right. You need to remove the variable of the tyre and the springs (setup wheels and lock out the dampers) to use scales for balancing.

Right tool for the right job.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Tech Regular

springs distribute the weight around the tires based on preload. Pins arent effected by the springs. i use both but after i set weight with pins i never need the pins again. I use the scales to balance traction.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

the static balance is one thing. Corner weights is something else. And "bad" corner weights can be driven by (1) unbalanced static weight (2) structurally tweaked car (3) wrong spring load.

If the car is battery-side (or motor-side...) heavy, toying around with the spring pre-load will not fix anything. it will however alleviate some of the discrepancies driven by structural tweak so the scales read better, but not fix the car which will still drive like crap.

The correct sequence is
1- install balanced electronics (any pack > 300g will make a modern TC battery-side heavy)
2- (re-)build a tweak-free car... every run, unscrew, flatten, rescrew. Anything but a perfect run will tweak the car a bit, any hit, any track dots, any roll. some cars are more sensitive to this than others, but they all do it to some extent.
3- THEN the corner scales. But if your car is hi-Q and so are the springs used, a simple symmetric preload on the springs mostly does the trick.
Markus likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
3- THEN the corner scales. But if your car is hi-Q and so are the springs used, a simple symmetric preload on the springs mostly does the trick.
Unfortunately most springs aren't very well matched (I'm using xray as an example). Measure and match your springs - it helps a lot. I still check the car on corner scales.

Lonestar likes this.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

By the way, a set of corner scales are all you need to balance a car side to side (weight) and to set up the chassis (spring preload). Even if you have the car screwed up and have most of the weight on 2 opposite corners of the car (i.e. left front and right rear), it will still tell you which side is heavier. So what I do is first set the ride height I want with the spring preloads. Then I adjust the springs so that the difference between the left front and left rear is the same as the difference between the right front and right rear. I will add a little spring preload to the light comers (for example right front and left rear) and then take a little preload out of the heavy corners (left front and right rear in this example). Doing it this way will keep the ride heights pretty close to what you set. This balances the car the best you can without adding weight. If you are still under the weight limit, you can then add weight to the light side.

As an example, without a body, my latest setup had 306.4 right front, 313.4 right rear for a difference of 7 grams. My left front was 293.5 and left rear 299.4 for a difference of 5.9 grams. That's close enough for me. Now if I want to balance it out, the right side is 26.9 grams heavier than the left side. So I need to add 27 grams to the leftt side. Good luck.
LzREngineering likes this.

Last edited by glennhl; 07-15-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like my $4 harbor freight scales. With the pins your chassis can be all in a twist and still balanced.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

The only issue with scales is that if they are not all at the same height your readings are off. I find the highest scale and glue shims under the 3 that are lower to get them all to the same height.

i see that someone has put out a corner scale kit that you can screw the height up and down to make them all the same height.

Last edited by Bry195; 07-16-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Use the same identical scales on a flat, level glass table, and you'll be fine.....