Tech Master

Default Serpent S120 Pro

Awesome!
https://www.redrc.net/2019/07/serpen...e-pan-car-kit/
eevul likes this.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice car. I'd love to get one as I already have the F1 SF4 but sadly, 1/12 scale is pretty much dead at our club.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

This is so awesome, its nice to see development in the 1:12 class, not sticking to one style so to speak. I had not been this excited about a 1:12 since the first S120 T-bar and the 1st Yokomo R-12!
Old 07-12-2019, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

I was really hoping Serpent would take this approach but it looks even better than I expected.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm happy with my 1/12 Roche. I also own a Serpent SF4 but quality has been a huge let down for me. If it was high quality, I would highly consider the S120.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

People still race 12th scale?

Cool looking car.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'm happy with my 1/12 Roche. I also own a Serpent SF4 but quality has been a huge let down for me. If it was high quality, I would highly consider the S120.
Dan is it the plastic, or machined components that are questionable?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Dan is it the plastic, or machined components that are questionable?
I own an SF4, and the tolerances of the side bearing guides (side links on a normal f1 car) required one side to be filed down a bit, otherwise the pod movement was lopsided with more friction on one side. Another problem was one of the holes in the carbon fibre was drilled incorrectly that caused the chassis to be tweaked when a screw was tightened. Luckily it wasn't an essential screw hole and I left it without a screw. The plastics are fine and the rest of the car was really well made, especially the center damper.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My SF4 seemed pretty good in regards to the metals and machining quality wise. I just think the molds may be a bit dated is all. I think they are from the SF2.
The design may have had a few hiccups but the nice machining and finish was exactly the same as a Yokomo. I wonder why, wink wink
Old 07-13-2019, 05:13 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

My issues were mainly with machined parts. One oversized kingpin that didn't fit in one of the pivot balls. Also had to do some work to the front end to free it up. One inner tube damper did not have the same dampening as the other tube. Brass aftermarket holder fits more tight than the stock aluminum battery holder (very minor issue). A lot of play in the axle bearing holders. (my gear mesh moves around). One front axle was a lot more difficult to put on the wheel nut (wish I had a die on hand to run the threads thru).

Those are just what I encountered. Other users encountered other QC issues on the Facebook group. Maybe it is resolved by now, I got my SF4 as soon as it was available.

MIkeR, F1R4 in the works?
astgerma52sp likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My issues were mainly with machined parts. One oversized kingpin that didn't fit in one of the pivot balls. Also had to do some work to the front end to free it up. One inner tube damper did not have the same dampening as the other tube. Brass aftermarket holder fits more tight than the stock aluminum battery holder (very minor issue). A lot of play in the axle bearing holders. (my gear mesh moves around). One front axle was a lot more difficult to put on the wheel nut (wish I had a die on hand to run the threads thru).

Those are just what I encountered. Other users encountered other QC issues on the Facebook group. Maybe it is resolved by now, I got my SF4 as soon as it was available.

MIkeR, F1R4 in the works?
Yeah perhaps it's ironed out a bit now... I just got mine last week
Old 07-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Tech Regular

Wow, it's a shame that 1/12th seems to be all but dead here in the States - at least in the South... Those of you up North where indoor tracks are more common probably still have a scene. It's a shame too, because if there's anything that will improve your driving, it's the split-second responses needed to pilot a 12th scale...

Anyway, about the car - really interesting design, much like the Formula. One thing that I have to ask is (and it could really apply to the Formula as well), with that significant chunk of aluminum hanging from the upper pod plate, no one's managed to rip that off the upper plate in a bad impact? I would image that one bad smack that could twist the chassis might be enough leverage for one of those side dampers to compress and twist that aluminum support right off that thin piece of carbon fiber. Also, I see the offset bushings holding the top plate, which I'm guessing is how you adjust the caster on these chassis, but can the rear standoff on the A-arms be shimmed to provide variable caster on compression? Variable caster worked really well for me back when the independant A-arms were introduced on the RC10L years ago. I'm wondering if that's still a thing?
Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Tech Regular

Also seems like lots of areas for slop w the upper arm mounts.

Just from the pictures Iíve seen, it looks heavy. A lot of decks and metal.

Would like someone up here here to buy one just to see how it is. One guy had the f1 and loves it, but parts availability is ridiculous.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

i also noticed the graphite bumper will hit before the foam bumper does its job.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by choisan View Post
i also noticed the graphite bumper will hit before the foam bumper does its job.
xray x12í19 is same. With a body on, the impact to the front isnít exactly as it would seem.
choisan, Ggrant and JeffofSpace like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service