Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree741Likes

XRAY T4'20 SPEC

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Have Xray missed the boat though, with all the different conversion kits on offer and people purchasing them?
Will they want to buy a new kit with little compatibility, where as with a conversion all the existing spares can be used.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:33 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Missed the boat? Hardly. Major change should spark some more sales for X-ray.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Xray sells more "competitive" touring car kits, than any other manufacturer. I would be surprised if the other manufacturers have penetrated 25% of the xray touring car market share.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
Have Xray missed the boat though, with all the different conversion kits on offer and people purchasing them?
Will they want to buy a new kit with little compatibility, where as with a conversion all the existing spares can be used.
I'd wait to pass judgement on this...despite people liking to complain about Xray's annual updates, they have managed pretty decent model-to-model compatibility, and document it very well with their component compatibility documents. (Some T4'19 parts share compatibility all the way back to the T2)

I'm sure that we will likely see teasers and info start to trickle out 'officially' within the next few weeks...

Old 09-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

One things for sure. XRAY will do a good job on their mid motor car. I'm sure the design will be well thought out and tested.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm on the fence on this one... I have 3 xray runners (me: T4 '19, my 9 yo son has my former '17, my 12 yo runs my former T3 '12... don't ask ) that share the parts pool (or at least a lot of it) when we go racing together.

I have seriously considered buying an AMX this year, what kept me out of it were the switching costs as there is some scale in my racing logistics and I have pretty much every spare one can think of - I mean when I have to fix three cars during raceday, some kind of efficiencies are needed, really... if the T5 is almost not compatible with the T4, this is one less barrier to jumping ship for me. Or sticking around with the '19, but since I've tried a buddy's AMX I have to say it's becoming harder and harder (to not switch...)

... unless it's a major performer, obviously. And then again, I'm worried that Xray might not have the first iteration of their new platform totally right, because, well, it's totally new it seems. And we know totally new platforms can sometimes have teething issues.

I'm a bit skeptical on this one... Then again it's all hearsay anyway, so what do we know, really. Let's see what comes out when it hits the shelves...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
I'm on the fence on this one... I have 3 xray runners (me: T4 '19, my 9 yo son has my former '17, my 12 yo runs my former T3 '12... don't ask ) that share the parts pool (or at least a lot of it) when we go racing together.

I have seriously considered buying an AMX this year, what kept me out of it were the switching costs as there is some scale in my racing logistics and I have pretty much every spare one can think of - I mean when I have to fix three cars during raceday, some kind of efficiencies are needed, really... if the T5 is almost not compatible with the T4, this is one less barrier to jumping ship for me. Or sticking around with the '19, but since I've tried a buddy's AMX I have to say it's becoming harder and harder (to not switch...)

... unless it's a major performer, obviously. And then again, I'm worried that Xray might not have the first iteration of their new platform totally right, because, well, it's totally new it seems. And we know totally new platforms can sometimes have teething issues.

I'm a bit skeptical on this one... Then again it's all hearsay anyway, so what do we know, really. Let's see what comes out when it hits the shelves...

I have seen many people switched from Xray to Amx then come back. Or move away from Amx. Amx is great when it works. Since you are taking care the kids’ car, maintaining one Amx could be more work than wrenching 3 xrays. Been there, done that. I brought my boy to race, and we race Xray. In the beginning, just like you, I used newer car. He used older car. Then he got faster and faster. So ends up he’s using newer cars and I m using the older ones. You may get an Amx yourself just to test the water, and the kids stay with Xray for the durability. To us, I don’t see it’s worth the time and money for the marginal improvement, but adding the risk of breaking during the race.
Lonestar and XSRCdesign like this.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:03 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcguyfpr

I have seen many people switched from Xray to Amx then come back. Or move away from Amx. Amx is great when it works. Since you are taking care the kids’ car, maintaining one Amx could be more work than wrenching 3 xrays. Been there, done that. I brought my boy to race, and we race Xray. In the beginning, just like you, I used newer car. He used older car. Then he got faster and faster. So ends up he’s using newer cars and I m using the older ones. You may get an Amx yourself just to test the water, and the kids stay with Xray for the durability. To us, I don’t see it’s worth the time and money for the marginal improvement, but adding the risk of breaking during the race.
I run both.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I also had both the xray and the awesomatix. Both cars are great. I will say the parts availability for the awesomatix was a letdown. At end of day I had pretty similar laptimes with both cars. I ended up staying the xray since I was comfortable with it.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
I also had both the xray and the awesomatix. Both cars are great. I will say the parts availability for the awesomatix was a letdown. At end of day I had pretty similar laptimes with both cars. I ended up staying the xray since I was comfortable with it.
part support for the AMX is in my opinion the biggest concern for the car. But they are so cool and sexy to look at. The good news is I haven't broke much on mine. Yet I am still interested in the new Xray. Also, I'll be honest, I am horrible at setup and people at the track who know what they are doing run Xrays.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

I'm actually worried the new Xray is going to be a must have and that I'll have to add to my collection. AMX has become a serious threat to Xray and I'm getting the impression that the T4'20 is a very serious effort to reduce the performance gap.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
I run both.
You were one of them that I had in mind.

Besides, Xray have so many reference setup sheets available for different tracks and classes for every model year.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks for the useful perspective - I also have some concerns about the extra complexity brought by a totally different car... it's stressful enough like this, really
Old 09-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

You were one of them that I had in mind.

Besides, Xray have so many reference setup sheets available for different tracks and classes for every model year.
Just checked on petitrc for setups which were added to the database in 2019.
Awesomatix : 70 asphalt + 30 carpet setups
Xray : 16 asphalt + 15 carpet setups.

just FYI ;-)
Old 09-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by !Mad Max!
Just checked on petitrc for setups which were added to the database in 2019.
Awesomatix : 70 asphalt + 30 carpet setups
Xray : 16 asphalt + 15 carpet setups.

just FYI ;-)
The most current AMX setups that are posted are generally on a shared google drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.