Like Tree735Likes

XRAY T4'20 SPEC

Old 10-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by papagogo View Post
With alloy steering arms you ve got at least 2 degrees more
Ah, good point, with my plastic arms I could never get more than 25-26 degrees on my inner wheel, when measured on the setup station (yes I know it doesn't make a lot of sense to call them degrees). A fellow racer did tell me the alloy ones got him to almost 28.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

New servo mount? Sold!
Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

FWIW, most of the team is not going past 26* on the T4í20.

I ran 26* at NYGP, while Drew ran 23*. Both cars were pretty equal on pace, however my setup required a bit more rear stability than his.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R Dodge View Post
FWIW, most of the team is not going past 26* on the T4í20.

I ran 26* at NYGP, while Drew ran 23*. Both cars were pretty equal on pace, however my setup required a bit more rear stability than his.
I have a question regarding steering throw and setup. When you guys are positing your steering throw, you are posting actual throw you are racing with, correct? Not the max throw you set the car to have in the TX, which you are able to manipulate with DR? The reason I ask is it seems that either some of the people I race with, or myself, misunderstand DR. I always set my cars up for max steering throw to be at 100% DR, then dial down the DR to get to the steering angle I want on the inner tire.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I always set the steering throw with Epa. I limit left and right till I get the same throw, e.g. 25.
My son then uses dual rate as a last setup change. If the car oversteers he tunes down the d/r on his tx by 5 points or so till he gets the sweet spot.
This means however that the car will have less steering throw on the track then the 25ish on the setup station.
Ggrant likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
I have a question regarding steering throw and setup. When you guys are positing your steering throw, you are posting actual throw you are racing with, correct? Not the max throw you set the car to have in the TX, which you are able to manipulate with DR? The reason I ask is it seems that either some of the people I race with, or myself, misunderstand DR. I always set my cars up for max steering throw to be at 100% DR, then dial down the DR to get to the steering angle I want on the inner tire.
this value is the angle that the inside wheel reaches on the setup station. I make sure to adjust the left and right steering links evenly so they are always the same length, then make sure the toe is even on each side by adjusting the steering link that connects the servo to the rack. From there I check that each wheel reaches the same value on the inside wheel when steering left and right. If they are uneven, I will adjust with the EPA in the transmitter. Ideally the EPAwould never differ by more than 15%. I do this with my dual rate set to around 90% so I can increase or decrease by a few percent while on the stand; knowing that this adjustment will not be entirely even, but could help me determine if more or less throw is required when I check/set all of this for the next run.

hope this helps!
Lonestar and trilerian like this.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 176 (100%+)

this value is the angle that the inside wheel reaches on the setup station. I make sure to adjust the left and right steering links evenly so they are always the same length, then make sure the toe is even on each side by adjusting the steering link that connects the servo to the rack. From there I check that each wheel reaches the same value on the inside wheel when steering left and right. If they are uneven, I will adjust with the EPA in the transmitter. Ideally the EPAwould never differ by more than 15%. I do this with my dual rate set to around 90% so I can increase or decrease by a few percent while on the stand; knowing that this adjustment will not be entirely even, but could help me determine if more or less throw is required when I check/set all of this for the next run.

hope this helps!
When you drive, do you use the whole wheel lock to lock, or do you use minimal steering input?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I race mostly asphalt, so I like to have up to 28 degrees available at maximum, hence I like the aluminum steering arms. Also, I never drive lock to lock on the transmitter wheel, unless it is needed. Everyone has their own driving style, and I assume they will set their cars up accordingly. When racing carpet, I always turn my EPAs down.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

hope this helps!
This is spot on, thanks!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
When you drive, do you use the whole wheel lock to lock, or do you use minimal steering input?
I donít use lock in the sweeper or any large corners, but in tighter sections I do.

Just to make sure this is clear, the team is not using more than 26* throw on the Ď20. For the Ď19 and earlier models it was not uncommon to see up to 29* throw, but no more than that. Since this thread is dedicated to theí20, I originally only shared the value for this car.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Tech Lord

I donít use lock in the sweeper or any large corners, but in tighter sections I do.

Just to make sure this is clear, the team is not using more than 26* throw on the Ď20. For the Ď19 and earlier models it was not uncommon to see up to 29* throw, but no more than that. Since this thread is dedicated to theí20, I originally only shared the value for this car.
Why the change to less steering throw?

Last edited by syndr0me; 10-22-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 176 (100%+)

On a similar topic, why do you run 90% dual rate and not less, by adding steering via camber/roll center or any of the other 50 different ways?

From what I have learned at the track, essentially(but not always true), is that less dual rate = faster lap times, which I think is because of the reduced scrub angles of the tires.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post

Why the change to less steering throw?
Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
On a similar topic, why do you run 90% dual rate and not less, by adding steering via camber/roll center or any of the other 50 different ways?

From what I have learned at the track, essentially(but not always true), is that less dual rate = faster lap times, which I think is because of the reduced scrub angles of the tires.
These posts kind of go together. The idea of less throw is to scrub less speed. Itís not really anything new. I know the awesomatix US guys were running around 26 or less, and I feel like we were heading this direction towards the end with the Ď19 or at least I know I was.

Setting the dual rate to 90% is actually step 1 of what I posted earlier. EPA is used to fine tune the left and right balance. So at 90% dual rate, my inside wheel only reaches 26* of throw at full lock.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Tech Lord

Iím willing to try something new. Iíve always adjusted my endpoints for max (even) throw and then turn D/R down as much as I can without losing time.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Doesnt matter....he shouldnt have posted it here either. I find it on FB I'll blast that douche bag too.

EA
Have fun

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1256...group_activity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.