Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Advice needed for sons first car. >

Advice needed for sons first car.

Like Tree9Likes

Advice needed for sons first car.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Advice needed for sons first car.

I haven't raced in over a decade, my 13yo son came across my old hotbodies cyclone when we were cleaning out the garage and showed a lot of excitement. Took him to my local RC club to show him what it's about and now he really wants to race!

Sadly, the old cyclone is in bad shape, and considering that spare parts will be a struggle to come by I'm looking at options to get him a new car. Back when I raced there were really only a few competitive manufacturers, now there are sooo many options and manufacturers then there were a decade ago so I'm a little lost.

Given that this will be his first car, I'm looking for something that will be competitive without breaking the bank. I came across the shumacher mi1v2 which is at a really attractive price point, looks like it would be competitive and is from a manufacturer that I've heard of so I'm fairly sure spare parts should be easy to find. Could anyone suggest an alternatives in this price point that may be better value?

Thanks in advance,
el

Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would strongly suggest the following: purchase a used XRAY T4. I would probably look for a 2016 or 2017. You can get one on the for sale site (here) for about $200 and many times it will come with parts, bodies, etc. A used XRAY T4 is way more durable than other brands. Just to let you know, I have never purchased a new XRAY touring car and I race very very competitively....

A second choice would be a Sakura touring car. They can be had for about a 100 bucks new, but once again, they are not the same quality. The better value is a used XRAY. You will break less parts and their resale value is much greater.....

Feel free to ask questions...……….
0010 likes this.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

One other important point. XRAY is most likely the most common type of car at your track. About 80-95% of the parts are interchangeable no matter what year car you have. (within reason here ie 2014-2017) maybe more... Especially the parts that you will break. Steering blocks.... etc.... It is so nice to be able to borrow a part from a fellow racer rather than go home because you are the only person that runs your car..... What value is the latter?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

You really want something competitive, new but cheap with a huge front bumper: nobody is really excited to get a used RC car !!! Lots of companies make affordable readyset versions of their latest and greatest: serpent, 3racing, etc....
Old 06-22-2019, 01:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

What about finding a used (not abused) Tamiya TB05/06 EVO or TA05/06 Pro/MS. These kits are upgraded with a lot of hop-ups and since they are Tamiya kits, parts (genuine and aftermarket) are always available especially online. Also they are competitive enough but I'm pretty sure your son could handle. Probably start with 27t or 23t first then upgrade once he gets the hang of it.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4 View Post
What about finding a used (not abused) Tamiya TB05/06 EVO or TA05/06 Pro/MS. These kits are upgraded with a lot of hop-ups and since they are Tamiya kits, parts (genuine and aftermarket) are always available especially online. Also they are competitive enough but I'm pretty sure your son could handle. Probably start with 27t or 23t first then upgrade once he gets the hang of it.
my first car was an upgraded to the moon Tamiya TA05 when I was ~13 years old. I outgrew the thing about two weeks in and got a hot bodies tcxx. Definitely not the best choice, go with the used Xray T4. The learning curve will be so much easier. DONT START WITH BRUSHED. Maybe buy one of last years fast 17.5ís for ~$50
Old 06-22-2019, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would get him a used associated tc7.1 roller. That can be had here for $200ish and are competitive and everyone has parts for it. But nothing because the experience you get from building your first car. So it’s always nice to get a new car
Old 06-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

I’ve bought a number of used touring cars over last few years. All have been great deals. And cars have been setup so nicely haven’t done much more then change gearing.

You are lucky track still up and running after a a decade.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Used XRay T4. Period. End of discussion. Great parts support and racer support, not that you will ever need them. Associated can be fragile at times but still a great asphalt car. Yokomo is the same. I think you will find more Xray out there than anything else to be honest and if you happen to break an odd part, bets are that someone at the track can get you going again. I don't have anything against any of the other mfgs out there. I have raced them all and they are all great cars. Some just aren't as durable as a new racer needs and XRay foots the bill time and time again.
0010 likes this.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

I would go for Xpress XQ1s. I would probably change the spool for the aluminium version and that's all. Spares are ridiculously cheap and it has a official distributor in USA.
Billy Kelly and Bry195 like this.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
I would go for Xpress XQ1s. I would probably change the spool for the aluminium version and that's all. Spares are ridiculously cheap and it has a official distributor in USA.
You can't mention the XQ1s and not mention the Sakura XI Sport Ver.NU.

Here's a bit of a review of the Sakura.
A Real Life Tinker Gnome: The 3 Racing Sakura XI Sport ver.Nu - The first 4 hours.

While we're at it, here's my writeup on the Xpress XQ1s.
A Real Life Tinker Gnome: Xpress Execute cars club racer - some pictures and review

The Xpress doesn't come with swaybars. The Sakura does. The Xpress also has plastic shock bodies.

well.. read them, make a decision.

Anyone who's saying Xrays parts support is great... well.. I'm having an easier time finding parts for my Tamiya cars than X-ray. Not that Xray is ~hard~ but Sakura and Xpress are easier. Also, Xray parts are 2-3-6 times the cost of Tamiya or the other asian manufactuers.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I will have to second the Xray parts cost, yes the parts quality is great and all, yet sometimes not always available, even from RCamerica directly, and the price does often seem high. Xray works fine, my son races two of their cars. Let your son review the choices afforded here perhaps and see which he would like to run as well perhaps, even if it is used, nothing wrong with that choice at all, given that with maintenance everything can be as new or better.

Best of luck, and congrats on bringing your son to enjoy this great hobby.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the replies guys. Iíve had a look at used xrays and damn do they go quick when theyíre posted here(at least in the local Australian for sale forum).

I think ill look at the Sakura and xpress options as I really like the idea of building the car from the ground up together. And by the looks of things thereís an upgrade path if we want to follow the rabbit hole.

Itís the thing Iím looking forward to the most in this endeavour, as pubescent teenage boys arenít the easiest to Ďconnectí with at times, doing this thing together has got me really really excited.
Nerobro, 0010 and Brian10811 like this.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by elusiver View Post
I haven't raced in over a decade, my 13yo son came across my old hotbodies cyclone when we were cleaning out the garage and showed a lot of excitement. Took him to my local RC club to show him what it's about and now he really wants to race!

Sadly, the old cyclone is in bad shape, and considering that spare parts will be a struggle to come by I'm looking at options to get him a new car. Back when I raced there were really only a few competitive manufacturers, now there are sooo many options and manufacturers then there were a decade ago so I'm a little lost.

Given that this will be his first car, I'm looking for something that will be competitive without breaking the bank. I came across the shumacher mi1v2 which is at a really attractive price point, looks like it would be competitive and is from a manufacturer that I've heard of so I'm fairly sure spare parts should be easy to find. Could anyone suggest an alternatives in this price point that may be better value?

Thanks in advance,
el
I think for the price the Express is a great kit. Some guys have ran this kit at the track and is strong and the parts are cheap. The kit comes with at good body and cost $149.00. I found it on RCMart. Here is the link. Xpress Execute Sport XQ1S 1/10 ARTR Touring Car with Mon-Tech Racer Light #XP-90013,
If you want to spend more you can get the one with all the upgrades but it will put you in a closer price range of Xray and all the other brands. I run Xray T4 18 and just like mentioned above is a great kit. I also really like the Infinity kits. In fact I will be switching to Infinity next season. Here is the Infinity kit link. http://www.creationmodel.net/index.php/infinity-1-8/infinity-if14-1-10-ep-
touring-car
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Does your local track participate in the Tamiya Championship Series (TCS)? If so, this is the best option for beginners. Tt-01 it Tt-02 new are $100 use, most co.e with motor and speed control and run at a speed that is conductive for learning to drive well. Parts are cheap and easily available in most parts of the world. Food for thought, he can always move to an x-ray once he builds some skill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service