R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to duckbutter
Default what to get T2 or The new tamiya 415msx?

I have the FT TC4 right now. I want to get a belt driven car to race in the modified class but I dont know which new car to get?T2 or 415msx which one is easyer to build and tune and get parts for? That might make up my mind because they both seem like nice cars? Is getting the multi diff worth it for the T2 I dont race on carpet so will the diff that comes with it be fine?Any input would be nice.
duckbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Tech Adept

For Asphalt racing my choice would be the 415msx, but as you already mentioned parts avalibility has to be a priority. The T2 is probably easier to tune but for me the choice would still be 415msx.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
Tech Regular

i have a tamiya.... and must say the xray just blows the tamiya away in terms of quality, and finish. there is barely any slop in the suspension, whereas the the 415 has more slop than your grandmother
XingXing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
Tech Adept

My 415 has none at its parts and finish were excellent.
And just get a car that you like the look of. Parts for any car these days are very easy to get. But i would go with what you think is best because people are just going to tell you what car they have (I say get the 415 because i have one and its excellent). There isnt much difference betwen them and you could win at any level with either. So just get the one you like.
Simon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
TDO
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbutter
I have the FT TC4 right now. I want to get a belt driven car to race in the modified class but I dont know which new car to get?T2 or 415msx which one is easyer to build and tune and get parts for? That might make up my mind because they both seem like nice cars? Is getting the multi diff worth it for the T2 I dont race on carpet so will the diff that comes with it be fine?Any input would be nice.
I would choose the chassis that is run the most at your local track (when you run on the street, don't even bother buying one of them). Why?? More parts directly available, more knowledge, more tuningtips, more direct comparision between drivers (decisive factor).

I did run a 415msx (sold it) and now a T2. performance no difference. T2 is more sturdy on the suspension and like XingXing said no slop Besides it is easier to setup and maintain (less parts). Also the T2 comes with setupbook (nice gimmick) to help out in various unknown situations. Diff??? Well I run the multi diff here in Holland/Germany in Front One way mode. It is nice to have and use. So get one, a T2 and the Multidiff and start racing.

Marc
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I use to run a MSX(upgraded version of the 415)and it is really good outdoors. I have a couple friends here that run a T2 but they seem to have a hard time with it. So go for where you can get support for and run that. MSX is easy. I would go for that.
JoeyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

seems to me the tamiya runs better on asphalt and the xray on carpet.
xray seems to clean up at the carpet foam races here in the usa but tamiya cleans up at the asphalt -rubber all over the world. May just be a team thing but when xray goes to the big rubber asphalt races they are at the bottom of the b mains Tamiya is usally at the top with HB. I am a BIG tamiya fan and have no slop in my cars but i replace the arms and hinge pins every so often. Tamiya car can take a good hit and i have never broke anything.
I always buy spares from speedtech,alyays in stock.
fat500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
TDO
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500
xray seems to clean up at the carpet foam races here in the usa but tamiya cleans up at the asphalt -rubber all over the world. May just be a team thing but when xray goes to the big rubber asphalt races they are at the bottom of the b mains Tamiya is usally at the top with HB. I am a BIG tamiya fan and have no slop in my cars but i replace the arms and hinge pins every so often. Tamiya car can take a good hit and i have never broke anything.
I always buy spares from speedtech,alyays in stock.

Oh you mean the TTIC race where only one Xray factorydriver without factory backup was ................. Tamiya and HB had their complete worksteam with racers and engineers on hand, while Jilles G. had to do it al by himself. Besides the 415 is around for 2 years now and the t2 for 2 months.......... If I were you rethink what you just said. I am no addict to Tamiya or Xray, but keep the facts as they are.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

True, but the fact is.

He didnt mention any race in particular
Old 03-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDO
Oh you mean the TTIC race where only one Xray factorydriver without factory backup was ................. Tamiya and HB had their complete worksteam with racers and engineers on hand, while Jilles G. had to do it al by himself. Besides the 415 is around for 2 years now and the t2 for 2 months.......... If I were you rethink what you just said. I am no addict to Tamiya or Xray, but keep the facts as they are.
Funny how you sound addicted to X-Ray though
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Tamiya MSX

popular car = more help
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
I would choose the chassis that is run the most at your local track

best advice right there.

I personally have 2 415 MS cars, and I think they are great. BUT, I tried running indoors last week and well, I was overwhelmed by a sea of Xrays.

Made me wish i had one for the simple reason I could have gotten help from so many people if I needed it. I was the only guy there running the MS so help was few and far between.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
TDO
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Funny how you sound addicted to X-Ray though

ssssssssssssssssttttt, don't tell it any further
Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat500
indoor carpet tracks are very prevalent in the US, but tracks in asia (and europe) are mostly outdoor asphalt, so that is where research/development occurs. (which is also why the asian companies like tamiya, HPI, Yokomo, etc include double one-ways with their high end race kits).
so, to me its no surprise that with all the indoor carpet racing here, its tamiya america that is releasing a 4mm carpet chassis for the 415...

but that being said, my local indoor track has a lot of msx's running foam and they are the most competitive of any high end race chassis out there... the driver makes the biggest difference. when selecting a chassis, its important to consider parts support, as well as access to people who can help you with the car. for most club racers, i think these two factors can be more important than which factory driver is winning at the big races.

$0.02
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to i_got_m8_4_$85

ive never driven any of these two cars (i have a teamtc4 hopefully soon to be bmi or ima buy a t2 if i could learn how to drive good) but the t2 at my track owns almost everything.
but it would probably be better to go with wats driven more at your track
i_got_m8_4_$85 is offline   Reply With Quote