Scott_T likes this.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

is there a place to race these?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Yeah any track that runs 1:8 IC... majority are in Europe.
ostu likes this.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

I just bought one of these, waiting for it to show up. Is there really only two of us with these? I also found very little info other than marketing hype on RX8E. Tried to get everything I needed to finish the build when I ordered it. I found some info lacking and could not find it.

No where could I find what the max battery dimensions are. I found that it needs "shorty" packs. What I could find is this meant anything less than 137mm long. More commonly, it seems to be around 96mm. From visual cues, it seems like 96mm is the max size, though some battery sites claim 137mm fit.

Looking through the assembly manual, I was surprised that it appears you need to order a spur gear and pinion separately to finish assembly. I get that there are multiple options, but there is clearly a recommended setup, those parts should have been included but appear not to be. I ordered a couple of gears, figured if they are in the kit, I'll have spares.

Looking forward to getting this build underway.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Mine showed up this morning, I browsed through the bags and found that the spur and pinion were included. I haven't looked through the printed manual yet but the one I downloaded did not make this clear, the the gear combos were listed as option.

So now to get to work.
Old 12-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool
Old 12-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, XRay just scored an F for quality control. Early in the assembly and I'm missing parts, no they are not misplaced. I'm pretty meticulous and organized when I build. So I'm stuck at not even being able to complete the rear suspension. Really sucks because I tried to make sure I would have everything on hand to complete the car while I have some time off.

I hope this gets resolved quickly.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

I built up the car as much as I could with the missing pieces, now 3 total. So now that I have the car, here are the answers to the two points I just could not find online anywhere,

Motor size - closest I got looking for info was standard 1/8 scale brushless. Have no idea what that means. I have a 4274 motor, it does not fit, too long. The drive belt idler pulley is the limiter. a 68mm long motor will maybe fit, might take a slight tweak of things ( idler mount ). The belt itself will clear a 68mm motor.

Battery - max size for the battery is 97mm x 51mm. doesn't seem how wide the battery will be much of an issue. chassis to top of CF plate is 33mm, how far above that you go with be limited by the body you choose.

Overall, it seems like a nice car, only down side is the way it's designed really limits you on some choices. I wont race this this, so I may mod it to use saddle packs.

Last edited by Joel_l; 12-25-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I found my Hobbywing speed control will not fit underneath the CF top plate, so I will mount it on top. Another measurement that might be helpful for anyone buying one of these. The opening for the speed control is 39mm x 59mm. The whole speed control does not need to fit that hole, only what is taller than 30mm. There is the complication that the steering servo sticks into that space.

As far as my build, I found the missing pieces at Amain, so I bought them. Hopefully the folks at XRay will get back to me and I will have spares.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:38 PM
Tech Champion

Well it was designed around the class as raced in Europe. Are you running a HW Max8 esc? I am going to guess your fan encasement is hitting the chassis. More than Likely Xray is running the XR8 SCT Pro 2-4S lipo. as the 6S racers have been getting too fast. Most of us run 4S now in the 1:8 IC E-Brushless class for the most part. In Italy there are still some pushing the 6S cars, yet with 4S and a good motor its almost equal now, as the limiting factor is the track, and you cant overdrive the track no matter how much HP you have.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

I am using an HW MAX8, it is rather large. There is a 1/8 GT electric car in my future ( have an MGT7 nitro now ). When I get to it, I will get an ESC better sized for the RX8e and move the MAX8 to the GT car. The GT cars seem to have more room. The body I have for the RX8 can accommodate the HW ESC without issue.
The biggest issue I had was not knowing or being able to find any of these dimensions. I tried XRay RX8E max motor size for example. I was surprised nothing came back. Hopefully yhe info I posted here will help someone in the future.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, Xray is not very forward in giving insight as to whats best to fit. Not sure which motor you are going to run But HW came out with some On road / Gt motors as well.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

The missing parts I bought showed up today along with the shorter motor. The HW 4268 just fits. the T nut on the back of the idler pulley just touches the motor. I don't think I will tweak anything there. I'm still waiting for a proper battery pack to come. I did take it for a test run with some long packs strapped across the top. Once the packs are in I can work on sanitizing the wires.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Makes one wonder how much they changed to version 2?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.