Like Tree4Likes

XRAY RX8E

Old 12-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think there is more than two out there but nobody is talking about them . I have seen half a dozen sell on ebay (new from shops) - they are out there somewhere.

It is very limiting on motor choice - the only thing I had on hand that would fit was a Castle 2650 - I have not shopped around but 68mm seems to be the limit.

Shorty packs work - I have been using Turnigy Graphene 4600mah - they are a tight fit for width - tearing the labels on removal so I removed the labels completely. Wish they had left another mm or two for pack expansion over the run - might make them easier to remove from the car. I run an eGT while it cools

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/graphene...connector.html

As these packs have through connectors I made some double adapters to I didnt need to mess about with the wire under the car:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hWgiLSZzaMYkX1Vt5

These packs also work and are a little thinner - fit more easily. I left 4mm bullets on the ESC and use adapters for the Graphene packs:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

My Tekin RX-8 fits in there with careful placement - a Castle MMM will also fit without the fan - I run them like that all the time in 6s truggies so I am sure it would be fine.

I don't race at all (the waiting between races is frustrating) but I do quite a few laps. I don't think these are races at all in Aus - all Nitro here as far as I am aware. As the track I joined (QRCCRA ? England Park Raceway) there had only ever been one e-conversion and nobody had driven an electric - so they tell me. Couple of the experienced Nitro guys have driven this now and were impressed.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I bought some Zeee 5AH 100C batteries, Time will tell if they are any good. I've had LiPos go bad in just a handful of charges and I have some that are 15 years old and still at 80% of their rated capacity.

Through connectors would be nice, can connect them is series or parallel with no fuss. I really hope the ones I got did that. That will make wiring a lot less messy. Will also be able to get rid of the Y on the speed control.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Before I made the through connectors I just ran a wire between the packs before putting them into the car - so the wire ran across the bottom of the packs. No Y on the ESC
Old 12-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

My batteries showed up, fit nice, could probably swell a tad without getting stuck. They do not have through connectors but looking at it, wont be much of an issue. Replacements or extras though, I will look through type, seems cleaner to me.
Of course it snowed today, don't expect it will go away for a while, so no test runs for a bit.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oodeano View Post
I think there is more than two out there but nobody is talking about them . I have seen half a dozen sell on ebay (new from shops) - they are out there somewhere.

I was talking about the RX8e.2 hence version 2...

https://teamxray.com/rx8e/2/en/

And here in Europe, where we also run the Serpent, Shepherd and Capricorn with a few Motonicas, we are running 2x2s shorties. Zee batteries are fine. Tekin, Ruddog, HW, Reds all have high quality motors that we run, the day of the 900+ dollar TTB setup are over.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think the .2 means 2020 version, last was 2018. At least this seems to be the scheme that their other cars seem to follow. I have the .2 but have no idea what has changed.

Got the car wired up with the new packs. Is not as terrible as I thought it would be. I need to put some foam on the chassis to pic the batteries up just a bit, right now they hang on the connectors. Then put the Velcro strap back on.

Now if I could only get out to run it...

Old 12-30-2019, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
I was talking about the RX8e.2 hence version 2...

https://teamxray.com/rx8e/2/en/

And here in Europe, where we also run the Serpent, Shepherd and Capricorn with a few Motonicas, we are running 2x2s shorties. Zee batteries are fine. Tekin, Ruddog, HW, Reds all have high quality motors that we run, the day of the 900+ dollar TTB setup are over.

I realize you were talking about the .2 - I was saying there is very few of these out there it seems . .
Old 12-30-2019, 05:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Few laps

I snuck in a couple of packs yesterday - maybe 4 of RX8e and 4 of GTe . .

Little of the RX8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TckK...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

I was contacted by XRAY today. They said they will send me the missing pieces.

Thing to note that will make it easier for you should this happen. Keep the serial number of the car. They did ask for it. In the end, a copy of the invoice would probably work also.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I doubt I will get to race mine at my track so probably just play around. Does anyone know of any body that fits besides a wedge? Was hoping something modern like a Corvette or really anything sporty.

thank you!

Last edited by Azsmartbet; 04-07-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by oodeano View Post
Anyone tinkering with one of these?

Not much turns up in a search . .
I just picked one up, didnt start the build. Anyone have any tips? I went with Muchmore for the ESC since I have that in my 1/10 and 1/12 pans. Wonder what I am missing
Old 04-14-2020, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have no idea what other bodies might fit - and I am more interested in the downforce that I am in what it looks like. There is something about driving a car with decent aero

I've never tried a muchmore ESC - if it fits and is 4s capable it should be fine.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have gotten bodies from here, nice selection. Look at the 1/8 on road bodies.

https://deltaplastikusa.com/
Old 04-24-2020, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Got mine together waiting on the batteries. Our track is pretty small but some guys are considering trying it out.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

Took mine in track this weekend. This track layout is quite tight and I need to make some set up changes to get some steering but hey it works.

Mesa, AZ track is ASR lots of 1/10 and 1/12 racing I doubt they get many 1/8!

https://imgur.com/a/OFSelaH

oodeano likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.