R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to SpeedRacer16
Default D5 Flatliner Motor

Hey i was wondering what the overall gear ratio should be on this new motor. I have a 8x1 and a 8x2 and am dumping with 3300s so if anyone can help me that would be great. If anyone would like to help me more i am running a XXXS with a 128 t spur on it
SpeedRacer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I have the 8x2 FLATLINER in my Pro 3 and I have it geared for a small tight track 9.2~9.5 over all, with GP3300's but then again it will matter alot on the track size ..ect ect ect..

Hoope helps you get started in the right direction..

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Tech Regular

How do you guys like this motor compared to others such as the reedy Ti?
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:58 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
How do you guys like this motor compared to others such as the reedy Ti?
I have never used a Reedy Ti but I have been wanting to get one over the past couple of months I mostly use the P-94 series and the 8x2 Flatliner seems to come up a bit short on the top end unlike the 8x2 P-94 that I have .. but the Flatliner seems to have a bit more torque down low..

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 04:27 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I think that the flatliner is an awesome motor but i was overgearing by like 2 or 3 teeth so i didnt get a whole lot of run time out of it. I also think that since the flatliner is sooo quiet because of the lack of airvents in the sides of the can it is deceptive whether it is really that much faster. But i do think the flatliner has a little more power but with this it comes with less run time. While the Tis that i have a little less power ( and i mean just a little bit less power) but more run time. So there are pros and cons with both motors.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedRacer16
I think that the flatliner is an awesome motor but i was overgearing by like 2 or 3 teeth so i didnt get a whole lot of run time out of it. I also think that since the flatliner is sooo quiet because of the lack of airvents in the sides of the can it is deceptive whether it is really that much faster. But i do think the flatliner has a little more power but with this it comes with less run time. While the Tis that i have a little less power ( and i mean just a little bit less power) but more run time. So there are pros and cons with both motors.
Jay!!
Wassup dude.
D5 8 single. Great motor. I gear it 19/72 in a TC3 (9.47 ratio 21.2mm rollout). Like you, I also find the D5 more prone to dumping compared to a TI of the same wind. Also, I find the best "punch" on that motor with just 12 deg of timing or one notch. I run my TI's with much more timing. I have no problems making runtime with just 3000's and 5 minute races either outdoors or on carpet with foams.
How's so-cal? I miss that place.

-Ling
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:22 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

LING!!!!
long time no talk to amigo
SoCal is awesome and competition is getting harder but yeah i just changed the gearing on my car and it made it a ton faster i cant wait to put it in a racing situation with the new gearing but i am running 24 degrees of timing on my D5 but i am thinking about running 20 degrees or even lower but wow 12 degrees is really really low
Any body else have problems with really bad brush wear?
Old 12-07-2002, 11:32 PM   #8
Tech Master

Jay,
I originally tried 12 deg since I wanted to make 5 min runtime with just 3000's. First run, I was astonished at how much punch and top speed I had with just 12 deg of timing...equivalent or more than a Ti at 24 deg. Later on I tried more timing (1.5 notches) at the same timing, but it felt overgeared. I've stuck with 12 deg ever since. Brush wear has been good. The serrations lasted 3-4 runs. I'm running without serrations now, motor feels about the same. There is more left on my batts now after a run after the serrations are gone. Good luck and let me know how things go. Here's my E-mail if you want more info: [email protected]

-Bling-Bling
Old 12-07-2002, 11:39 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

i think im gonig to try that next weekedn with just 12 degrees of timing but also i am running 3300s now so we will see but the brush wear thing i am getting like one run to a set of brushes. But the brushes i am running have small serrades on them
Old 12-08-2002, 07:53 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

I know with the mods that I have run, if the motor is burning up brushes quick it usually has to much timing. THe 12 deg of timing sounds pretty standard for a sub 10 turn mod. They turn enough RPM without needing a jump start from Timing.
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ling- Thanks for letting me play with your new radio yesterday. See ya next weekend on the rug.

Speedracer16- On all my 9 and 10 turn motors I never have to run my timing that high in order to get good performance out of them. We don't have all the big shots down here that you do in So Cal but the few that we do have we can keep up with most of them....except Matt Francis I also felt that the Trinity cans weren't as efficent (sp) as the TI or the Orion cans. I hope that the new D5 isn't following in the same footsteps.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:11 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I am currently running p94's and the serrations on the brushes only last one run at 20 degree's timing. I am running 10x2's. Is there something worng here or is that the way its supposed to be?
Old 12-09-2002, 12:07 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
Ling- Thanks for letting me play with your new radio yesterday. See ya next weekend on the rug.

Speedracer16- On all my 9 and 10 turn motors I never have to run my timing that high in order to get good performance out of them. We don't have all the big shots down here that you do in So Cal but the few that we do have we can keep up with most of them....except Matt Francis I also felt that the Trinity cans weren't as efficent (sp) as the TI or the Orion cans. I hope that the new D5 isn't following in the same footsteps.
Anytime Clint. New toys rock.

Last time I was at So-Cal, mod was still 4 minutes. There is more motor abuse in a 4 minute race over a 5 minute race. 8 turns and 24 deg of timing is usually the norm or you get left in the dust
Old 12-09-2002, 08:55 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

So i guess the best thing to do is go for the 12 degrees and then see if i can hang with the big sluggers
Old 12-09-2002, 09:12 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Isn't the stock timing on these motors set at 16 degrees? I find mine runs best at 20 degrees but can someon answer my quesiton above?

Thanks,
Martin.