Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Should i go brushless..? >

Should i go brushless..?

Should i go brushless..?

Old 12-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Should i go brushless..?

I've been hearing some good things about the brushless motor..
some say output close to 700W , almost 1 hp.compared to some standard motors 200W.and some say it can really smoke any motor AND nitro's around.WOW!!
Well after hearing all the good stuff i want to hear bout the bad stuff if there's any.
i hear they need special ESC's right?they are brushless motors compatible with non-brushless esc?and is non-brushless esc compatible with brushless motors?Are they really maintenance free forever?(i dont think so)
I haven't drop any money on a hot motor OR esc yet so im looking for an upgrade but if the brushless is good i might just make the leap..
Old 12-07-2002, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi,
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in.

*Firstly Yes Brushless Motors performance is highly superior to any brushed motor and probably just about any nitro engined car.
*The current speed record for an R/C car is held by an Associated L10 with a Brushless system Installed. The car was officially clocked at 179 kph.
*Some brushless motors can reach 100,000RPM (without Load).
*The reason why they are so good is simple. No friction or drag caused by brushes rubbing up against a comm on an armature.
*Yes you do require special 3 Phase ESCs for brushless motors.
*No a brushless motor won't work with a standard ESC and vice versa.
*Brushless motors are basically maintainence free apart from cleaning and re-oiling the bearings.
*They do not last for ever as eventually the magnets do weaken.
*A brushless motor and dedicated ESC are very expensive.
*They would not be legal to run in any circuit race that I know of.
*They are legal when used in an electric car for drag racing.
*The concept of running brushless motors in a R/C Car is still in its infancy and I personally would hold off until they become cheaper and more mainstream.

Hope this helps some

Steevo
Old 12-07-2002, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Default Wait...heck no!

Novak's sysem is looking great AND at a reasonable price. Its no more expensive than a new mod motor and esc. I preordered mine at Tower for $234.99. Wait for one of their good ads.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well you must consider that I am talking from the point of view of someone who lives in Australia where a brushless system for a car is as yet virtually unheard of. I am Also still not sure of whether or not running a brushless motor is legal to run in any race. Just remember the price will come down a lot as it becomes more mainstream.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Wait?heck yes

250 is quite a lot for me at this moment...
I'll just stay low profile until i get the cash in what,3 months then i'll surprise the whole town .YEAH!!!!
Anyway i wont get a mod motor/ESC combo , I'm savin' up for BL.
Man i cant wait
Old 12-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Steevo, Perth RC has hacker brushless systems for sale right now and WA also have a brushless class for racing so I think that brushless might even be quicker on the uptake in our sunny land down south =)

Well, thats what I've heard anyway...pick up a copy of Racing Lines and look for their advert.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks ecenshu,
I am not really in the market for a brushless system at the moment. My 10X4 whips along quite nicely for now
When I start getting whipped by guys running brushless systems I will consider the change then.

Steevo
Old 12-08-2002, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

by all means go ahead if u can afford it.u save quite a bit of trouble n money also considering tat u dun have 2 spend time tuning n maintaining the motor,no need 2 but comm latche etc...

but do take note tat normally, BL motors have a higher RPM and are something like 10t n below if compared to brushed motors' spec,which might b too faster for some RCers to handle well...
Old 12-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ijnek,
From what I have read even the most basic brushless motor will out rev any modified brushed motor on the market.
I would think that only the very best of chassis kits would be able to handle such power. I would Imagine traction would be a real challenge.

Steevo
Old 12-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

I think brushless motors rock, but there is no racing classes for them yet... At least here anyway. So I guess I'll wait. As for bashing, you can beat them. I've seen some brushless EMaxx's and WHOA!!
Old 12-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

i think the novak brushless would b the 1 2 watch out for soon...
it's size n relatively low price compare to the brushless system at where i am is a definite plus point.