Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

We are not stupid you don't get 25,000 out of a johnson legally. BTW that motor sounds to be about 19,200 - 19,800 I can tell in the pitch you have'nt even begun to hit the high winding sound yet. But its very nice of you to share with us though. I will give you an A for presentation A for thought and F for proper documentation and support findings.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Alrighty, i've read through pretty much the entirety of this thread and taken on board the most common 'voodoo tricks' to running in your johnson motor.

As it stands, the other lads in the class seem to poop all over me on the straights, and have just a tiny bit more torque as well. Since i was running no fan, and my motor was getting painfully hot due to overgearing, (burned one out in experimenting) and tight drive-belt most likley, i've gotten a fan, smaller pinions (aiming for an FDR around 4.5-4.8, since its apparently what other folks are using) i'm just trying to find the extra things that the other folks are doing, that i might not be - i reckon my racing line is improving, so now i'm hunting that extra bit of 'go'.

The point of my post though - I dont have a charger or motor management gear to run in my motor. What should i use to do it, in its place? Some batteries soldered together in a linear fashion? If anyone could shed some more light on the details of that - like just the same sub-c cells as what you'd use to power the car, or if this is even the right idea at all, it'd be much appreciated.

I've got a bunch of gear at hand to use, including a drill to try running-in as well.. I've got Team Orion Motor spray, Brasso, metho, turps, some thin oil (for a sewing machine i beleive)..
Just not sure what path of action to take from here on in, in seating those damn brushes right. I have two two-slot johnson motors - the sort with black 'endbells', one is more shiny on the can than the other, which i think a fella at the track mentioned one has softer brushes than the other (which i took note of).
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well the video as i promise, anyway this is the 24000 rpm motor at 7.2volts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0teQd4cUo
Old 11-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kuanseng1981

did you tweak your 540j?
it awesome!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Comon dude tell us how you do it
Old 11-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Really those readings mean absolutely nothing.... there is only one place to proove a good motor - on the track.

i bet if you put a load on this motor it would be crap!!

Mike
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nice job I beleive you now. Oh are those Snap On or Craftsman pliers you use when you twist the armature. I can twist a johnson and get 29,000 rpm but its cheating and no one likes a cheater.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Nice job I beleive you now. Oh are those Snap On or Craftsman pliers you use when you twist the armature. I can twist a johnson and get 29,000 rpm but its cheating and no one likes a cheater.
I agree with u, no1 likes a cheater. But i am aready infamous in my country for tuning silver can, so whether i tweak or never tweak the motor ppl will not believe. Anyway the highest rpm and amp draw i got on my silver can is about 40000rpm and draw about 5amps, but it is not usable.

Anyway this motor have aready being proven on the track by alot of drivers.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

See pic below.
No cranko, no cheato, just hard work gained from 20 years of running these things.
Attached Thumbnails Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks-silver-can-7-point-2-volts-rpm.jpg  
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Run in

Hi,

2volts at 12 hrs? clockwise rotation break in?

ty..

joel
Old 11-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Weasely
Alrighty, i've read through pretty much the entirety of this thread and taken on board the most common 'voodoo tricks' to running in your johnson motor.

As it stands, the other lads in the class seem to poop all over me on the straights, and have just a tiny bit more torque as well. Since i was running no fan, and my motor was getting painfully hot due to overgearing, (burned one out in experimenting) and tight drive-belt most likley, i've gotten a fan, smaller pinions (aiming for an FDR around 4.5-4.8, since its apparently what other folks are using) i'm just trying to find the extra things that the other folks are doing, that i might not be - i reckon my racing line is improving, so now i'm hunting that extra bit of 'go'.

The point of my post though - I dont have a charger or motor management gear to run in my motor. What should i use to do it, in its place? Some batteries soldered together in a linear fashion? If anyone could shed some more light on the details of that - like just the same sub-c cells as what you'd use to power the car, or if this is even the right idea at all, it'd be much appreciated.

I've got a bunch of gear at hand to use, including a drill to try running-in as well.. I've got Team Orion Motor spray, Brasso, metho, turps, some thin oil (for a sewing machine i beleive)..
Just not sure what path of action to take from here on in, in seating those damn brushes right. I have two two-slot johnson motors - the sort with black 'endbells', one is more shiny on the can than the other, which i think a fella at the track mentioned one has softer brushes than the other (which i took note of).
Power going in is power going out, maybe they have better cells? Or charged them at a higher amperage? Just a thought for you to think over
Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
See pic below.
No cranko, no cheato, just hard work gained from 20 years of running these things.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default EI JO!

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi,

2volts at 12 hrs? clockwise rotation break in?

ty..

joel
JOEL IS THIS YOUR BREAK IN REGIMEN FOR MABUCHI?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi remember me I was usually on the front page.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey guys,

I am New to the forum, and greatly inexperienced in electric racing.
I just bought a Mini, I broke in the motor using the water method.
The thing is much faster in reverse then forward. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
I assume this has been covered; a good link would be appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.