R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #1351
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
I think the 12.5k motor rule is only at Aliso. Fremont was unlimited as Swifty won there the last two years with one of my motors. You know that one of the secrets to building a fast motor is to put it in the hands of a highly skilled driver with great chassis set up abilities. It isn't about just horse power, altho, it really does help.
What kind of RPM did swifty's motor have for unlimited Fremont?
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #1352
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
What kind of RPM did swifty's motor have for unlimited Fremont?
The last one was a one off I did as a favor to Brandon as I don't like to push the envelope that much. At 5v the rpms were in mid 21k range. At 7.2v the rpms were 29.6k. Power #s were in the 40s. I believe I did a back up that was doing 20k plus at 5v and in the 27or 28 range at 7.2. Don't remember the power #s on that one.

Haven't been messing with motors for months now. Sort of lost interest. However, I did a sweet running 13.5k motor for an old friend who gave me two pairs of HPI belted X-Patterns and wouldn't let me pay him for them. That damned Doc sure does build some nice motors tho, doesn't he?? Still don't see how he does it for the little he's charging.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #1353
Tech Master

Quote:
The last one was a one off I did as a favor to Brandon as I don't like to push the envelope that much. At 5v the rpms were in mid 21k range. At 7.2v the rpms were 29.6k. Power #s were in the 40s. I believe I did a back up that was doing 20k plus at 5v and in the 27or 28 range at 7.2. Don't remember the power #s on that one.

Haven't been messing with motors for months now. Sort of lost interest. However, I did a sweet running 13.5k motor for an old friend who gave me two pairs of HPI belted X-Patterns and wouldn't let me pay him for them. That damned Doc sure does build some nice motors tho, doesn't he?? Still don't see how he does it for the little he's charging.
Thanks for the info. I am looking at going to Memphis and preparing a few motors for unlimited RPM. Between Omaha and Trackside, my gains have been significant with these motors, I just could not get the luck to show for on results at Trackside other than fast times and fast averages.

Doc does seem to have it down to a science. It seems the only way to do it is if you can shorten the time to break in the brushes and bushings then the pricetag is not that bad for the seller. Right now I am into the longer methods and it seems to make a difference on the track. If I were to put a price on a motor, $45 is not worth it to me for the time to let them go. Now if they were used motors to sell for that price then sure, that might work. Although my motors I don't over heat, usually they come off the track around 120 deg and I am not undergeared.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #1354
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Although my motors I don't over heat, usually they come off the track around 120 deg and I am not undergeared.
Off the can or through the vent??

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #1355
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Off the can or through the vent??
both
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #1356
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am looking at going to Memphis and preparing a few motors for unlimited RPM. Between Omaha and Trackside, my gains have been significant with these motors, I just could not get the luck to show for on results at Trackside other than fast times and fast averages.

Doc does seem to have it down to a science. It seems the only way to do it is if you can shorten the time to break in the brushes and bushings then the pricetag is not that bad for the seller. Right now I am into the longer methods and it seems to make a difference on the track. If I were to put a price on a motor, $45 is not worth it to me for the time to let them go. Now if they were used motors to sell for that price then sure, that might work. Although my motors I don't over heat, usually they come off the track around 120 deg and I am not undergeared.
Frankly, the loss of interest in further development is that the motors were faster than I was. My lap times are better with a little less power. Sure is fun watching Swifty and PC wring the motors out tho. Good luck with your TCS efforts.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #1357
Tech Master

Quote:
Frankly, the loss of interest in further development is that the motors were faster than I was. My lap times are better with a little less power. Sure is fun watching Swifty and PC wring the motors out tho. Good luck with your TCS efforts.
Thanks. It was something to figure out. I just got tired of having the driving, setup and get killed by the J motors. Finally figured out the full package. Actually BL stock speeds were faster than I was although I am getting used to them more and more, especially with a good setup.
I don't think we ever met, perhaps if I hit Aliso this year can finally see who grandpa is? Good luck with your racin.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #1358
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks. It was something to figure out. I just got tired of having the driving, setup and get killed by the J motors. Finally figured out the full package. Actually BL stock speeds were faster than I was although I am getting used to them more and more, especially with a good setup.
I don't think we ever met, perhaps if I hit Aliso this year can finally see who grandpa is? Good luck with your racin.

Yeah, that would be great. Would be nice to compare notes. Motors I can do, it's the driving and set ups that keep me out of the "A" Main.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #1359
Tech Master

Quote:
Yeah, that would be great. Would be nice to compare notes. Motors I can do, it's the driving and set ups that keep me out of the "A" Main.
Last time I was out there, it was only the motor . Unless they reinvent the wheel I should be ok this summer/next time.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #1360
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I think the 12.5k motor rule is only at Aliso. Fremont was unlimited as Swifty won there the last two years with one of my motors. You know that one of the secrets to building a fast motor is to put it in the hands of a highly skilled driver with great chassis set up abilities. It isn't about just horse power, altho, it really does help.
Thanks for the compliment Grandpa and there is no way I would have been able to have won if it werent for your tuning skills on the j motor. That motor is pretty crazy. See you at Tamiya on Saturday. BTW did you check out the M06
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #1361
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is three 0.1uf capacitors needed for novak esc using tamiya silver can?
ah_DaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #1362
PDR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah_DaN View Post
Is three 0.1uf capacitors needed for novak esc using tamiya silver can?
No - you don't need to add any as most silver cans have them built-in. This isn't necessarily true of other brushed motors.
Making an A Main at a Scotty Ernst event. Awesome. Scotty calling you first in A1. Priceless
PDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 AM   #1363
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's correct- the caps that Johnson uses are very efficient at noise suppression. If you have a resonably modern speed control, no additional caps on the outside of the can are required.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!

Last edited by rccardr; 06-17-2010 at 11:03 AM.
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #1364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The next batch of Red Dot silver can racing motors will ship next week (the week of June 20th).

We usually sell out in advance through prepaid orders, so if you want one it's best to act now.

Johnson keeps making these better, so the Red Dots keep getting faster.

Interested parties should drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #1365
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default armature

Has anyone experienced the armature getting shoved in? I'm assuming it was caused by a lateral impact (I hit a lot of stuff). It has happened with two different motors, both new (were broken in by water dipping). I've tried to pull the pinion out farther to keep the same surface area on the spur gear, but i'm running out of shaft! There is a lot of lateral play when pulling on the pinion. It springs back, but sits too far toward the inside of the can. Also, i've noticed the magnets have not shifted, so i'm really stumped as to the cause of this. I'm running it in F1 here in Roseville.

Thanks for any advice

-Steve
bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote