Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think maybe he's a little crazy because:

A) He can't write coherently, and
B) He thinks his silver cans are running over 30,000 rpms because some kid abused them.

Uh, no.

Jim
Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Albert, you don't need a hot motor See ya at Speedtech. Bring your A game
Granpa, good to see you out and about! I will see you at Speedtech!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ioyasm
a good way to break in a motor is give them to some kids that run at your track let them use them for a week clean them out and then run them .or you can spend a lot of time running them in water based rubbing compond an water then water and dish soap then clean water ???????about two days i run trinity monster machine to check rpm and amp draw at 8.99 comes out at 8.48 volts good motors running any where over 30.000 rpm is a good motor i use 540 johnsons and mabuchis have a mabuchi that has nothing don to it other then cleaned in soapy water after a couple of runs and its running 34.000 rpm at 1.25???????amps.a lot of times to it all in the driver and his car set up to we usually have on a regular friday night 20 to 30 minis running
Let me interpret for you guys, my cousin is retarded thats how I know what he is saying and he makes sense. So here you go :

Blah blah blah blah bibidy blah blah blahma rama mama blah blah blah. Then I blahsky blamsky blahmarama blah blah. Oh and then blah blahhhhhhhh bligitty blah blahh.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Low_E
dude, writing in clear sentences really enhances the potential of being read AND understood

Hehehe. It looks like you could take a lesson, or two, yourself.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ioyasm
a good way to break in a motor is give them to some kids that run at your track let them use them for a week clean them out and then run them .or you can spend a lot of time running them in water based rubbing compond an water then water and dish soap then clean water ???????about two days i run trinity monster machine to check rpm and amp draw at 8.99 comes out at 8.48 volts good motors running any where over 30.000 rpm is a good motor i use 540 johnsons and mabuchis have a mabuchi that has nothing don to it other then cleaned in soapy water after a couple of runs and its running 34.000 rpm at 1.25???????amps.a lot of times to it all in the driver and his car set up to we usually have on a regular friday night 20 to 30 minis running
It would be interesting to know what the rpms are at 5v and 7.2v. I'm not doubting your #s, but would like to know what they are at voltages most of us use to test. It's difficult to extrapolate the #s as rpm figures aren't linear. If you could test at these voltages and post those #s, I'd view them with interest.

Also, I've never seen a Trinity tester so don't know whether it reads high or low. Perhaps if a friend has a Muchmore or Orion tester, it would be informative to see those #s at those voltages. Again, let me repeat, I am NOT questioning your veracity, but I do have a feeling your Trinity tester is a little off. Trinity is not the machine I would have chosen.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Maybe u guys should check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0teQd4cUo
Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kuanseng1981

PLEASE!!!!!!! A Red Dot will do that. He's saying a stock motor broken in by kids will do it. Those #s are not that unusual. I've got 3 in my motor box right now. One of them is a Red Dot and the other two were not motors broken in by some neighborhood kids.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

i would say the main purpose of this thread is to inform the rulemakers of just what methods are used to gain an advantage so that sensible and enforceable rules can be put in place. After all spec motor classes are designed to limit costs and performance gains in the hope of levelling the playing field in all forms of motorsport, not just rc.

I think the primary gray area that allows these motors to exist is the "run in" definition. Like, "i ran motor in, in such a way that i advanced the timing". For me sure its a great challenge to push the rules to the limit (and an awesome degree of skill required to do it) although at some point you end up with a bunch of guys running silver can++'s vs. stock silver cans. Supposedly at that point rulemakers step in to "re-level" the playing field before the class suffers.

In the end, as expressed by many before, legal/illegal comes down to you do what you can within the limits of your particular club/organization rules, anything else is just an ethical argument - this happens in ALL forms of spec racing motorsport. If you're not happy about it then become your clubs silver can motor inspector.

It would seem that rules limiting RPM and forward/reverse current draw make the most technical sense in this case but at club level the question remains how enforceable is it? Some clubs have rules that if you win a 540 class championship you are no longer able to enter that class again, forcing people to move up in effect (doesn't work for all classes eg. mini). Some clubs may decide that 3-4 meets a season will be thoroughly teched and season DQ's will be handed out for motor infringments. In the end only a club knows what they can or can't enforce and how far they want to go "in the spirit of racing". In anycase, rulemaking must come from the top as there's no point clubs having one set of rules and national meets having another.

This is one of my favorite threads on RC tech, technical vs rulemakers is always very interesting Can't wait until this same discussion starts about spec brushless classes, instead of run-in techiques we will be talking speedy firmware versions
Old 12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

ADDENDUM to my previous post. If you're the motor builder of the motor in the video, I'd like to remind you of a universal fact. Every time you start thinking you're smartest guy in the world, you will find there are a lot of smart guys. A little humility will serve you much better. What gall.

If you aren't, my apologies to you and my congratulations to the motor builder
Old 12-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I slept on Pine Needles once !
Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

kuanseng1981 i sent you a pm ... hope you respond
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
I slept on Pine Needles once !
Did you smell like a cheap air freshener for about a week after?

I knew this slightly (VERY) crazy homeless guy that used to stuff his clothing and pockets with pine needles, because he figured it helped cover up the smell.

It didn't.

Jim
Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

ADDENDUM to my previous post. If you're the motor builder of the motor in the video, I'd like to remind you of a universal fact. Every time you start thinking you're smartest guy in the world, you will find there are a lot of smart guys. A little humility will serve you much better. What gall.

If you aren't, my apologies to you and my congratulations to the motor builder
Anyway if u have notice that the video was posted on Youtube about a year ago. I think if that motor builder is those type of ppl that u mentioned, he/she would have posted it ages ago.

Anyway tuning a motor is not about being smart, it is about being researching how to improve the motor performance. I also dun think that the builder is thinking "I'M the smartest guy in the world" when he is tuning the motor.

Anyway i have meet a thailand Motor Guru at a Asia Event a few years back, he have also told me that if u think your motor is fast, mine will be faster. That sentance is than the type of ppl whom u have mentioned.

Anyway sorry for my bad english. Hope this will not be become another war.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

PLEASE!!!!!!! A Red Dot will do that. He's saying a stock motor broken in by kids will do it. Those #s are not that unusual. I've got 3 in my motor box right now. One of them is a Red Dot and the other two were not motors broken in by some neighborhood kids.
Anyways those # are easy to get without load, what about with load ???
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Anyway if u have notice that the video was posted on Youtube about a year ago. I think if that motor builder is those type of ppl that u mentioned, he/she would have posted it ages ago.
Let's face it, if he didn't think he was the smartest, he never would have posted the video to begin with. I vaguely recall that debate now and as I remember it, he did think he was the smartest guy around. I am sorry that I mistook you for him as he posted that video to say look what I can do and you guys can't. eat your heart out guys. Too bad. So Sorry.

I am not a hot shot motor builder cause I know a number of better ones and there probably a lot more that I don't know about. But, I will tell you this, that video and that guys comments irritated me then and irritate me still.

Out of curiosity though, why did you post that video???? It was a little off topic.

Don't do wars, but like a healthy debate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.