R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 AM   #1051
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was running it at 82-85 degrees c for 5 races and only got faster but that what i have to gear it to be 2 or 3 secs a lap off top guys although it was a day for hot motors (thats not all my driving that is that slow its a [email protected] car so 416 on the way) can anyone explain why it was getting faster? and its done about 4 or 5 meets (5 races a meet) and was run in at no load

btw sorry i ask lots of qs

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #1052
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
If you read through some of this thread, even the posts just up from yours, you will find that all this information is covered.

Jim
I did read some of the posts, they were mostly about temps and how to break in the bushings.
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #1053
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting101 View Post
I was running it at 82-85 degrees c for 5 races and only got faster but that what i have to gear it to be 2 or 3 secs a lap off top guys although it was a day for hot motors (thats not all my driving that is that slow its a [email protected] car so 416 on the way) can anyone explain why it was getting faster? and its done about 4 or 5 meets (5 races a meet) and was run in at no load

maybe it's hotter then. from what I understood it was some kind of thermoplastic glue inside (stupid idea, I know.)
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #1054
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Maybe the magnets were weakened by the heat?? Weaker magnets give you more RPM and less torque.
Quote:

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #1055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have been running a silver can at sometimes up to 240F in my TT01. The thing is still crazy fast.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #1056
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Creations View Post
Maybe the magnets were weakened by the heat?? Weaker magnets give you more RPM and less torque.
I believe the Curie point on the ceramic magnets in a silvercan is in the neighborhood of 800 degrees F. What happens when you overheat a silvercan is you burn up the brushes or the armature, It's very difficult to overheat a motor enough in a car to significantly alter the magnetism. Magnets often weaken slightly with time, but I believe it's due more to vibration, shock etc rather than heat.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #1057
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I had the same amount of torque and feeling by hand the mags were just as good as new

"Why follow, when you can lead?"
Schumacher
Drifting101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #1058
Tech Champion

Then it probably was just continuing to break in and the brushes seat better.

As far as the magnets go...I have for sure 100% watched a car slow because an overheated motor and then have a weak magnetic resistence after cooling compared to before the race....and not just once or twice so...And then checking on a dyno showed less overall power and more RPM.
Quote:
I had the same amount of torque and feeling by hand the mags were just as good as new

Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #1059
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

If you test a Johnson 3-5 times in a row (no rest)... you can see the effect of heat reducing torque and increasing RPM. (which is what happens on the track)

If you don't break in the brushes, you can ruin the motor, especially if you gear into it.

Temp, usually hot is the norm for me, anything under 200f usually is pretty safe, unless you don't breakin the brushes.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #1060
Tech Elite

Quote:
Then it probably was just continuing to break in and the brushes seat better.

As far as the magnets go...I have for sure 100% watched a car slow because an overheated motor and then have a weak magnetic resistence after cooling compared to before the race....and not just once or twice so...And then checking on a dyno showed less overall power and more RPM.

What you've experienced with overheated motors doesn't mean that the problem lies in the magnets getting weaker. It was probably burned brushes or a fried armature. If you'll remember from your TC days, turning the comm and puting in new brushes restored the power in a motor. Some of the guys would rarely buy a new motor, but would keep replacing armatures until the bushings wore out.

Magnets can weaken over time, but will never degenerate to the degree you state in a few runs. I do agree with your observations about overheated motors going slower. I just don't agree that it was due to weakened magnets
Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #1061
Tech Champion

Gauss meter says differently.

And then once rezapped the motor is back and stronger than before. So I'm not sure I can agree about the magnets

As far as burning brushes and the arm...yes, I've seen that ruin motors too. But they tend to run slower and are very hard to bring back to life. A weakend motor that has weak magnets from being run too hot repeatedly will be returned to it's glory days via zapping most of the time..as long as everything else is taken care of. I've got some 4 slotters that were crap...once zapped and run a few times have shown HUGE improvements over previous performance. And they were checked on a gauss meter before and after zapping. And it's very noticeable on track. So yes, the magnetic strength does weaken. Science doesn't fib.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
What you've experienced with overheated motors doesn't mean that the problem lies in the magnets getting weaker. It was probably burned brushes or a fried armature. If you'll remember from your TC days, turning the comm and puting in new brushes restored the power in a motor. Some of the guys would rarely buy a new motor, but would keep replacing armatures until the bushings wore out.

Magnets can weaken over time, but will never degenerate to the degree you state in a few runs. I do agree with your observations about overheated motors going slower. I just don't agree that it was due to weakened magnets

Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #1062
Tech Elite

Quote:
Gauss meter says differently.

And then once rezapped the motor is back and stronger than before. So I'm not sure I can agree about the magnets

As far as burning brushes and the arm...yes, I've seen that ruin motors too. But they tend to run slower and are very hard to bring back to life. A weakend motor that has weak magnets from being run too hot repeatedly will be returned to it's glory days via zapping most of the time..as long as everything else is taken care of. I've got some 4 slotters that were crap...once zapped and run a few times have shown HUGE improvements over previous performance. And they were checked on a gauss meter before and after zapping. And it's very noticeable on track. So yes, the magnetic strength does weaken. Science doesn't fib.
I'll have to concede the point, since you measured with a gauss or tesla meter. Do not have one as a good one was more expensive than my budget allowed. For my own information, how much weakening percentage wise did you notice and how hot did the motors get. Have a few more ??? so I'll send you a PM rather than boring anyone else
Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #1063
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

for info, what kind or brand zapper do you use for silvercans??????

Tamiya TRF417V5 SEDAN Racer - Tamiya 416X VTA Racer - Tamiya TRF 416X USGT Racer -Tamiya M05 V2 PRO Racer -Tamiya F-104X1 Formula 1 Racer.
Starteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #1064
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've got a brand new "Red Dot" silver can Johnson motor from Doc (rccardr) that I just don't need. It's still in the box and has never been run. Pics and more info here:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...cardr-doc.html
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #1065
Tech Adept

Any word yet on making black can's/sport tuned motors quicker?
infokiz is offline   Reply With Quote