R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #931
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
yep. thats how i blew myself up with a miniature pipe bomb last week lol
You get a guy from the United Kingdom on this thread and you die of laughter!
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #932
Tech Adept

Will anyone share what they put on there comms liquid mixed together polishes? If you don't want to place on here send me a PM
16skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 AM   #933
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot View Post
Lets talk about zapping these motors who out there has a motor zapper and would like to share there input and or results.
I have had similar motors zapped and.... well... it is not the miricle you might think it is.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 AM   #934
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
I have had similar motors zapped and.... well... it is not the miricle you might think it is.
No improvement even after zapping?
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #935
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
A lot of it depends on what class you are running. If you are running sedans where you can control the gearing, then it's not as much of a difference (but it still helps....ask anyone who runs RED DOT power!). But if you are running a fixed gearing class like mini, it makes all the difference in the world.

Of course this is all assuming the mad scientist with the zapper knows what he's doing. As Grampa said, you can screw a motor up easier than getting one to run better. I played with one and got it to spool up like a 27-turn motor on a no-load dyno, but put it in the car and it can't get out of it's own way. Luckily you can always turn it around and try again.
minimadman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #936
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The problem with zapping these motors is that you also wind up zapping the arm, and that increases amp draw and decreases efficiency- so you need to figure out a way to offset that. There is no single, quick, or simple answer to making these motors really hum- it's all about balance, and not every motor responds in the same way.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #937
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough512 View Post
No improvement even after zapping?
A few years ago I went to the TCS nats that had up to 3 hand-out rebuildable motors. I decided to pull a favor and had Big Jim zap them for me. In total he zapped 4 motors, one was well used the others new. Using a gause meter and his expertise, none of the motors really changed and I confirmed that later on my dyno. One motor's magnetic field was out of alignment and he re-aligned it.

He told me the way to look at magnets is like a cup, they can only fill up so much then then they over flow. Maybe more expensive motors can be effected from multiple zappings, it really depends on the magnets used in each motor.

If you are looking for speed, zapping is not the end all miracle.... it "might", make a difference if the motor, chassis, driveline, driver are totally optimized and you are looking for a tinge more but with these cheap magnets I wouldn't think so.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #938
Tech Elite

Picked up a Fantom dyno a few weeks ago and you know how it is with new toys. Put every motor I had on it to test. Found out a # of things after playing with the dyno for a bit.
1. A Muchmore type motor tester is not a good tool to gauge performance.
2. Max rpm is not a reliable gauge of motor performance on the track.
3. How quickly a motor spools up under load is way more reliable.
4. A high rpm motor can be a real dog on the track. My 33,000 rpm black can is a good example. It now sits in bad motor heaven.
5. Simply cleaning the comm will give you as much or more of an increase in power #'s as any of the more common "tuning" tricks. Frankly, I was amazed at how much better a motor was with a clean comm.
6. I am not a motor expert.
7. Getting smarter tho.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 PM   #939
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
The problem with zapping these motors is that you also wind up zapping the arm, and that increases amp draw and decreases efficiency- so you need to figure out a way to offset that. There is no single, quick, or simple answer to making these motors really hum- it's all about balance, and not every motor responds in the same way.

But isn't the armature made of soft laminated iron? It does not retain its magnetism very well. And even if it does, the normal motor operation will demagnetize it very quickly. Each pole loses/changes magnetic polarity every 60degrees rotation. I think even a 1minute runtime would kill any residual magnetism in the armature.

I could be wrong of course.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #940
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Picked up a Fantom dyno a few weeks ago and you know how it is with new toys. Put every motor I had on it to test. Found out a # of things after playing with the dyno for a bit.
1. A Muchmore type motor tester is not a good tool to gauge performance.
2. Max rpm is not a reliable gauge of motor performance on the track.
3. How quickly a motor spools up under load is way more reliable.
4. A high rpm motor can be a real dog on the track. My 33,000 rpm black can is a good example. It now sits in bad motor heaven.
5. Simply cleaning the comm will give you as much or more of an increase in power #'s as any of the more common "tuning" tricks. Frankly, I was amazed at how much better a motor was with a clean comm.
6. I am not a motor expert.
7. Getting smarter tho.
Granpa, What is your technique for cleaning the comm?

Thanks, Pete
Pete Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #941
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

If zappers didn't work, I wouldn't think you'd see anyone shelling out $600+ for them, nor would the big name motor tuners bother shipping the 50 lb bricks out to the big races. Granted they work much better on a rebuildable motor, but some have found ways to massage the silvercans on them too. It's not a simple task, and I'm sure many a motor was tossed until finding the sweet spot.

Unfortunately I haven't found the technique yet.
minimadman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #942
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
Granpa, What is your technique for cleaning the comm?

Thanks, Pete
I use Brasso, Mother's chrome polish, or Brite Boy in one of those oil bottles with a needle tip. Put a pinion on the motor, squeeze a little polish on the comm, roll the pinion back and forth on the work bench. Flush out well with water or motor cleaner.
The best motor man I know uses comm drops and runs his at low voltage for about 1/2 hr. Tried it and it works great, but would only have the patience to do that between race weekends.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #943
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
I use Brasso, Mother's chrome polish, or Brite Boy in one of those oil bottles with a needle tip. Put a pinion on the motor, squeeze a little polish on the comm, roll the pinion back and forth on the work bench. Flush out well with water or motor cleaner.
The best motor man I know uses comm drops and runs his at low voltage for about 1/2 hr. Tried it and it works great, but would only have the patience to do that between race weekends.
What type of comm drops??
kidsid99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #944
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Quote:
Do you still clean them with water or motor cleaner after the comm drops process?
-KilleR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM   #945
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KilleR- View Post
Do you still clean them with water or motor cleaner after the comm drops process?
Motor cleaner. I used Tribo, but don't know what Doc uses.