R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #916
Tech Apprentice

I dont see a problem with that but I wouldnt rate that as tuning but more of doing regular maintence on the motor to gain more speed for more runs which would be legal. You cant really alter them to make them faster only clean them as what alot of you are saying which is legal but tuning them to add 6000 rpm more than what they originaly have that is illegal as I said there are factors that can make your car faster eg weight, gearing, setup and driving on the race line all these factors make your car faster the motor is only part of the whole car.
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #917
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (99%+)

Fx,

Are you serious.....racing is all about tuning your motor and chassis setup to be faster.

Your rules state you cannot break in the motor and brushes, clean the comm and lube the bearings..... I dont think so...
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #918
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you can make the mabuchi motor faster without tampering the motor. but that's a secret i swore for being a TAOB so i can't reveal it.
tony q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #919
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX Racing View Post
... tuning them to add 6000 rpm more than what they originaly have that is illegal...
... there are factors that can make your car faster eg weight, gearing, setup and driving on the race line all these factors make your car faster the motor is only part of the whole car.
Dude,
You are talking to some of the best setup guys and drivers in the world (I'm not talking about me though) like it's a revelation that the motor isn't the whole story! These guys have the combo of phenomenal driving/setup skills as well as knowing how to tune the motor to the limit of the rules the race director has set. They know how to drive and setup. I'd read and learn if I were you; ask a question and listen. Just stop saying that tuning is illegal; we're telling you it's legal where we race.
I've said all I care to on this. No more.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #920
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

wow.. interesting conversation going on in here. hi tonyQ! D
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #921
Tech Apprentice

Our rules are very much based around yours with some minor changes. I know it may be legal to tune them in the USA but it might come under as motor tampering here its up to the officials to decide on that. SirSwiftAlot are you racing 540 at nationals? do you race in any other classes just wonding thats all because I might give you some tips to give you a winning edge.
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #922
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX Racing View Post
Our rules are very much based around yours with some minor changes. I know it may be legal to tune them in the USA but it might come under as motor tampering here its up to the officials to decide on that. SirSwiftAlot are you racing 540 at nationals? do you race in any other classes just wonding thats all because I might give you some tips to give you a winning edge.
FX - Yes we run the 540 black cans at national and thank you but no thank you I am a firm beleiver of creating my own setup that goes well with my driving style and with 15 years of RC Racing I think my mechanic skills are up to par. But on the flip side of the coin I never refuse good advice so if you would like to share some ideas then by all means lets hear it.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #923
Tech Adept

Hi I have done quite a bit of reading in this forum, there is a lot of talk about 2 and 4 slot motors, can someone tell me how you know which is which.

thanks
16skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #924
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16skyline View Post
Hi I have done quite a bit of reading in this forum, there is a lot of talk about 2 and 4 slot motors, can someone tell me how you know which is which.

thanks
It is just as the name implies:

A 2-slot motor has two slots on the side of the motor, one on each side close to the end with the brushes. The slots are fairly wide and you can see the brushes quite clearly. Most of today's motors are 2-slot motors.

A 4-slot motor has four slots on the side of the motor. These slots are quite a bit smaller and it is more difficult to look inside to inspect the brushes.
minimadman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #925
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16skyline View Post

thanks
Generally speaking the 4 hole or 4 slot motor is usually faster than the two hole.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #926
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just getting back into silver can racing and the newer Johnson 540j is much different than the old johnson motors. How do you treat this motor in regards to heat?

Can you (over) gear it to the point of over cooking the brushes or harm the motor? If so what is the max temp that the motor should not go over.

Thanks in advance.
Rugrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #927
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Wow I read all 31 pages last night. I kept reading each page thinking there is some secret formula in it. Some was helpful. That equation has me more complexed. Thought about writing it down and giving it to some engineers here to stew over for a few days. But truthfully I wish
some of the thread would be edit. Seems about 25 pages of jibberish.
I don't expect some one to tell me secrets of the trades , thats why its called racing . But damn 31 pages makes your eyes burn when your searching for the holy grail like Indiana Jones. Off to the water jar I go, and the floor better watch out for my motor.

Thanks for the thread it did
help kill some time in my evening.

Dynodan22
dynodan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #928
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

dynodan22

I run Minis on Tuesday and Saturdays at Trackside in Milwaukee which is were I see you are from. We have a couple of pretty fast Mini drivers, come see us and we will help you with some motor tricks.
Steven Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #929
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynodan22 View Post
Wow I read all 31 pages last night. I kept reading each page thinking there is some secret formula in it. Some was helpful. That equation has me more complexed. Thought about writing it down and giving it to some engineers here to stew over for a few days.
Which formula was that? I hope it wasn't this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot View Post
8. Then to get the extra 1,500 -3,000 RPM I d g dl de 3 [ e 230-es s 3pkr e- s 45 45=- x / n 29 56 0 t v h j= jn y-5 5- h.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #930
Tech Fanatic

Lets talk about zapping these motors who out there has a motor zapper and would like to share there input and or results.