R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #901
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX Racing View Post
I dont know why people want to get more power or speed out of a silver can motor they are all made the same. Silver can class or 540 as it is known in some places. Have you people ever tried thinking about how you drive the car. Ive seen a guy race a TC3 with a black 540 motor and still beat a feild of stock class drivers by 3 laps its not how quick your car is its how you drive and gear your car. There is no way possible to tune your silver can motor all you can do is clean it after every run and look after it
There are SEVERAL things you can do to a silvercan to make it faster, and faster by about 4000-6000 rpms (or more)! And on a long straight track like Aliso with a fixed gearing class like Mini, that makes a world of difference regardless of how well your car handles.

I agree that a car that handles well and a driver that drives smooth can make a difference, but when you get two cars with equal handling and equal driving skills, my money is on the car with the extra ponies!
minimadman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #902
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimadman2003 View Post
There are SEVERAL things you can do to a silvercan to make it faster, and faster by about 4000-6000 rpms (or more)! And on a long straight track like Aliso with a fixed gearing class like Mini, that makes a world of difference regardless of how well your car handles.

I agree that a car that handles well and a driver that drives smooth can make a difference, but when you get two cars with equal handling and equal driving skills, my money is on the car with the extra ponies!
There are also any number of things you can do to make them go slower too. The best way I know to get a fast motor is to get one of Doc's Red Dot motors when he is feeling generous and sells some.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #903
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
I dont know why people want to get more power or speed out of a silver can motor they are all made the same. Silver can class or 540 as it is known in some places. Have you people ever tried thinking about how you drive the car. Ive seen a guy race a TC3 with a black 540 motor and still beat a feild of stock class drivers by 3 laps its not how quick your car is its how you drive and gear your car. There is no way possible to tune your silver can motor all you can do is clean it after every run and look after it
What are you talking about? Your higher than Giraffe Pussy the name of the game is to be faster than the next guy and like minimadman said if you have to cars that are setup well and both drivers drive the same then I want to be the guy with the faster motor. Hence the term "Racing" Thats like saying I don't know why people want to make more money at there job the6y should just make enough to pay there bills and nothing more. As far as saying "all you can do is clean the motor after you run it" I wish all my competition thought this way.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #904
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot View Post
Your higher than Giraffe Pussy

Thats awesome!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #905
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
Thats awesome!!!
+1
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #906
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
wheeeeeeee
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #907
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
surly you jest , thats like saying "theres know way to tune a brushlees motor " theres allready motor tuners on rc tech selling tuned bl motors , any thing can be tuned to run better , you get a bunch of guys with to much free time on there hands and anythings possible , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #908
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray3619 View Post
you get a bunch of guys with to much free time on there hands and anythings possible , ray
yep. thats how i blew myself up with a miniature pipe bomb last week lol
Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #909
Tech Apprentice

LOL all motors are the same and if you tune a silver 540 also this comes under tampering you are breaking the rules for that class. I ran a 540 two seasons ago and they said it was too quick so I changed the motor to another silver can for a few title meets before the new season and I was even quicker than the previous season do you know why? because I learned how to become a better driver and took care of my motor. Maybe check your setup and driving first because thes motors cant be tuned.
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #910
Tech Elite

Quote:
LOL all motors are the same and if you tune a silver 540 also this comes under tampering you are breaking the rules for that class. I ran a 540 two seasons ago and they said it was too quick so I changed the motor to another silver can for a few title meets before the new season and I was even quicker than the previous season do you know why? because I learned how to become a better driver and took care of my motor. Maybe check your setup and driving first because thes motors cant be tuned.
If you're referring to the TCS rules, we went through all that crap several months ago. For your information, there is NOT a specific rule that says you can't "tune" a silver can. I'm not talking about "cranking" the comm or opening the can up cause there is a sort of rule that covers that.
Believe me, some of these motor wizards can add 4-6000 rpms and as much as 10-20% more torque to an untuned silvercan. If, as you imply, you're beating everyone and spotting them a huge motor advantage, my hat's off to you. Please note, I'm only referring to the Mini class as that's what I'm familiar with. I do know they run them in other classes too and a big motor advantage might not mean as much.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #911
Tech Apprentice

if you mean by tuning the motor by changing your spur and pinion i dont see that as a problem but adding 6000 rpm illegally would be racing a black 540 against a silver 540 the car with the silver 540 would not be able to keep up(im speaking of touring cars here) in the way of straight line speed as the black 540 has more rpm. also i didnt tune my motor i just ran it the way it was sold. also i never said you couldent tune a brushless i know you can tune them but as for a silver 540 motor they are all built the same and unable to tune them for club racing as it would mean your tampering with the motor. most of the cars ive seen with silver 540 have been quick but as i said if you set up your car right and be a fast driver yourself your car will be faster. there are many ways of making your car faster but your motor is only a small part of it.
FX Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #912
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
... but adding 6000 rpm illegally ...
... i didnt tune my motor i just ran it the way it was sold.
... for club racing as it would mean your tampering with the motor.
Some races let you tune motors, some do not. Tamiya set the rule FAR above "the way (they) are sold" because they decided motor tuning is part of the race/game. Some clubs make you use hand out motors because they do not want motor tuning part of the race/game (like SoCal's Mini races). I race both, like both, I make sure I stay in the rules for both.

Most of the racing community plays by the mindset "do everything you can within the race directors rules to be the best you can, use every advantage within the rules to your advantage".

Sounds like you like the races where people shouldn't tune the motors; ok, get your club to work out a handout motor process. But tuning for Tamiya's TCS (or others) is not illegal, and is part of the fun.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #913
Tech Initiate

FX maybe your just reading the word tuning wrong... I wouldnt class a pinion and spur change as motor tuning but anyway...

generally people arnt talking about 'illegal tuning' opening cans etc isnt typically what this thread is about, its about legally improving the performance of the motor, using techniques within the rules, which DO have gains. To the simplest form, your brand new 540, flush it out with some cleaner and run thinner oil. this is a 'tune up' to allow the motor to run with less drag, = better efficency = more speed, and then you can continue to develop on that by doing a wide variatey of things, using different liquids, and run in methods to gain the edge. this is tuning, we're not talking about modifying the stack, cutting the comm, changing brushes, removing winds. the motor stays sealed, and alot of gains can be made.
8800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #914
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Based on the vocabulary being used in his posts, I think Mr. FX resides somewhere outside of the USA. Assuming that is the case, they may run very different -and more stringent- silver can rules where he is than we do in the US (check out the TCS Canada site for an example).

However, I think it's safe to say that with regard to racing in the TCS series, unless an RPM or amp draw limit is imposed by the race director for a specific event (like Aliso at the most recent Regional event, as well as the Nats in 2006 and 2007), tuning a silver can is perfectly legal as long as the comm is not cranked (advanced) and the can is not opened. And the results of that legal tuning can be profound when accomplished by someone who knows what they are doing.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #915
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hay FX could you fly in to SoCAl yes the United States Of America and help me set up my car for the Nationals in August becuase obviously you know how to set up a car so that it is faster regardless of the motor . In fact why do you even run a motor you should just throw in a battery and haul ass around the track with your "Setup" as fast as it is. By the way I am starting a thread purely based on how you set up your car to actually make it faster reagrdless of the motor. Next you will see people buying 13.5 and 10.5 chassis and no I am not talking about the thickness. Oh yeah and one more thing FX take off the horse blinders and take a look around you might learn something in this thread about these motors and no, looking at pictures does not mean your reading.