R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
heh..

ill pick your brain and his dont worry. i think the Hickmans will be out in at Fremont TCS in June.... i can ask there

speaking of fremont, whos going? do they have a local web site?
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Turtlemaster.. There really isn't a website for Fremont HT. The best place to go is rcracing.com That's pretty much the bay area hangout. Racenut is the guy you want to talk to plus there is also a thread. --AL
Keepin' it real with my M11x
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:12 PM   #78
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
speaking of fremont, whos going? do they have a local web site?
ritchie... ill be going and a few of my buddies from down here in socal will also be attending. big al is right ... nothing in terms of a website. but john hicks will be running the show. see you in a couple of weeks.

btw.. what classes are you running? GT2 and GT3? i should have my F103GT ready by then... i just gotta build it.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #79
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
ritchie... ill be going and a few of my buddies from down here in socal will also be attending. big al is right ... nothing in terms of a website. but john hicks will be running the show. see you in a couple of weeks.

btw.. what classes are you running? GT2 and GT3? i should have my F103GT ready by then... i just gotta build it.
sold the group c already, was thinking about 103gt also,, not sure, would like to do f-1 and not sure which gt class yet, (maybe borrow dans msx), but first my dang kids gotta quit breaking real car stuff. everytime i put money to the side i get a phone call. lol, probably drive down that way i can just pack everything and decide when i get there.

thanks for the info al
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #80
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Guys! Just wondering what would a good rpm for a stock silver can motor using a Yokomo Motor Master or the Much More version measuring at 7.2 volts? What is the minimum target rpm and what would be the best you have ever had with the newer 3 hole motors as well as the older 4 hole motors? Do you usually measure at 7.2 volts or another voltage? Thanks a lot.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #81
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Historic Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Historic Racer

XTM have a silver can they run in the exellorater truck thats as quick as a 19turn if you really want a fast motor. Not sure how to get hold of them or who makes them but they out perform any other ive seen in stk.
Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional
Historic Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #82
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi
Hey Guys! Just wondering what would a good rpm for a stock silver can motor using a Yokomo Motor Master or the Much More version measuring at 7.2 volts? What is the minimum target rpm and what would be the best you have ever had with the newer 3 hole motors as well as the older 4 hole motors? Do you usually measure at 7.2 volts or another voltage? Thanks a lot.
A Good RPM for silver can when using the Much More Motor Master is around 25000 to about 30000 RPM at 7.2 volts when fully run in. This is what i have measure when using the Motor Master.

I run in the motor at 2 volts for the first 2 hours and at 3.6 volts for the next 8 hours while using the Much More Motor Cooler to cool down the Motor.

Will post a video when my motor master is back from repair. Sorry for the slow reply
who is friend who is foe.
kuanseng1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #83
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnMatrix

I have been Zapping the 540's for about two years now for drivers, and they have liked the result.

Its a little tricky cause you cant really zapp cause you have use a slug for a real zap. But the motors seem the torq up.

Now hebki has done this too, but i think he did it wrong. lol
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:12 AM   #84
Tech Regular

Hi Silver can experts...

I am trying to run in a siver can using some of the methods described so far in this thread and I'm not sure if I have done something wrong , or is the motor a dud or is it a champ in the making.

I ran it in one race straight from the box, and it wasnt as good as the motor it was supposed to be replacing, so it went back in the box, and now i'm just trying to get it to run in...

problem is that it is drawing so many amps (over 10) that it shuts down my charger (Supernova Competition on the motor run in facility), when I set it to 3v or more.

The silver can I was replacing only draws about 1.3 amps on 3v.

So I have been running it on 1v for about 3 hours dry, and 3 hours in a glass of water.

At the moment it draws about 3amps on 1v, dry. Unfortuantly I dont have any way of measuring torque or RPMs.

I am nervous about just trying it in my car, because I dont want to blow up the ESC if the motor is going to draw too much current.

thoughts and suggestions please...

Thanks

PeteB

Last edited by PeteB; 06-18-2006 at 01:32 AM.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:53 AM   #85
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to coons88

Hmm that is wierd, not sure why it would be drawing so much. But running it in your car will be fine. The esc can handle plenty more than 10A
Old 06-18-2006, 04:25 AM   #86
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Got Xray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopass
I remember a few years ago, that to tune a silver can motor you put the pinion end of the shaft in a vice, so the motor is effectively standing up.

Place a pair of needle nosed pliers through the vent hole in the side of the can gripping the 'stack' firmly.
Gently but firmly advance the motor stack independently of the shaft moving = more timing
I would only recommend about 2 degs of 'twist' to be applied, if you over twist the arm you will notice all of the wire on the stack will be loose and the motor will be even slower.
I would always recommend doing this on an old motor first, then a new one once you are comfortable.

You gotta think outside of the box on this one fellas!
pay pal payments accepted for the next 'tuning session' LOL
What exactly is the stack
Old 06-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #87
Tech Regular

This might help, but make sure you dont twist it the wrong way otherwise you will retard the timing, instead of advancing it. Also be aware that there is a HIGH chance of killing the motor, and it will make the motor "illegal" for racing and if your car gets scruitneered you will probably get disqualified...

let us know how you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks-armature_small.jpg  
Old 07-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #88
Tech Regular

To finish up on the motor that I was running in...
I water dipped etc for about 20 hours on 1v, and the amps it was drawing didnt drop. bolted it into my car and gently applied a small amount of power (just enough to turn the wheels) and it immediately started to smoke. Took it back and exchanged it for a new one.

Pete
Supernova
Nomadio
Old 08-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #89
Tech Regular

anyone else with some hot tips?
Supernova
Nomadio
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #90
Tech Regular

What's the power at best effeciency and RPM of a fully broken in motor?
MK_Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote