Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. The silver can snout is larger than a standard 540 brushed motor can, so enlarging the entry port will yield more precise readings.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rccardr
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. The silver can snout is larger than a standard 540 brushed motor can, so enlarging the entry port will yield more precise readings.
Sir,

I just bought a johnson 540 j motor yesterday and I see that you are posting alot on this section. Can you help me please to make my motor go faster. I have tried dipping it in water for 2 hours and nothing happens. I also tried toothpaste and that didnt help. My last resort was kerosine but on my way back from the camping store to my house I caught my car on fire. Please help me I just want to be fast like all the other guys.

Thanks,

Your friend in need
Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My last resort was kerosine but on my way back from the camping store to my house I caught my car on fire.
See, see, I can only imagine how fast you were once you caught on fire.

So stop making fun of us.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks mate, my dyno now works alot better! so whats an avg rpm reading on a silvercan these days!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

I have tried dipping it in water for 2 hours and nothing happens
It helps if you run the motor.

I also tried toothpaste and that didnt help
Gotta use the organic kind- Crest and Colgate don't do the trick.

My last resort was kerosine but on my way back from the camping store to my house I caught my car on fire.
Much better results- bet you drove a lot faster when you saw the flames!

GIGANTIC TIP: Buy a dozen motors and break them all in. Statistically, one should be a genetic mutant (e.g. FASTER) motor. Repeat for each fast motor you want.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SirSwiftAlot
Sir,

I just bought a johnson 540 j motor yesterday and I see that you are posting alot on this section. Can you help me please to make my motor go faster. I have tried dipping it in water for 2 hours and nothing happens. I also tried toothpaste and that didnt help. My last resort was kerosine but on my way back from the camping store to my house I caught my car on fire. Please help me I just want to be fast like all the other guys.

Thanks,

Your friend in need
Buy 3 motors and break them all in, not just one.

1. Water dip for a few minutes ... or use the trinity bushing buster to get the brushes fully seated. this can also be accomplished by using the motor for a few weeks.

2 Polish the comm and bushings with Brasso or Bright boy or any type of brass polish. I use a drill, chuck it to the motors shaft, (without the pinion), turn the motor with the drills power and drip yer polish directly on the comm and also a bit on the bushings. you can do this for 5 minutes or an hour.

3. clean our the motor with warm water and motor cleaner or simple green.

4. let it dry and dyno each one ... one of them should be good, if not, buy 3 more and repeat!!

I hope that helps, I know searching threads here is impossible
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaggys40oz
Buy 3 motors and break them all in, not just one.

1. Water dip for a few minutes ... or use the trinity bushing buster to get the brushes fully seated. this can also be accomplished by using the motor for a few weeks.

2 Polish the comm and bushings with Brasso or Bright boy or any type of brass polish. I use a drill, chuck it to the motors shaft, (without the pinion), turn the motor with the drills power and drip yer polish directly on the comm and also a bit on the bushings. you can do this for 5 minutes or an hour.

3. clean our the motor with warm water and motor cleaner or simple green.

4. let it dry and dyno each one ... one of them should be good, if not, buy 3 more and repeat!!

I hope that helps, I know searching threads here is impossible
Thank you guys so much for the help. I thought you meant to just let the motor sit in the water I didnt know I was supposed to run it.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

It helps if you run the motor.

Gotta use the organic kind- Crest and Colgate don't do the trick.

Much better results- bet you drove a lot faster when you saw the flames!

GIGANTIC TIP: Buy a dozen motors and break them all in. Statistically, one should be a genetic mutant (e.g. FASTER) motor. Repeat for each fast motor you want.
Thanks for the help by the way did you run in the TCS nationals. I heard that guy that placed 10th in the mini class is supposed to be really good looking and fast too.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Very nice and so respectful of your elders. Come talk to me in 30 years about how fast you are.

No question that you are an excellent driver, but if you'd run my stuff you'd be studying Japanese right now...
Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Very nice and so respectful of your elders. Come talk to me in 30 years about how fast you are.

No question that you are an excellent driver, but if you'd run my stuff you'd be studying Japanese right now...
SO true...so true...LOL Your stuff is fast as hell.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

That there is a true statement I had alot of fun I just don't know how my car went from completley dialed to crap in a couple of hours all I did was change tires and still used the same inserts. Oh well I had fun how about you.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

I find it impossible to believe that anyone could attend a TCS event- Nats or Regional- and not have fun, no matter where they finish.

Couple of years ago I would podium seven or eight times in a season. Between getting older (which I am certain some would characterize as "washed up") and the amazing number of talented drivers now participating in the Series (like Mr. Koslosky), I seldom wind up in the top three more than a couple times each season.

On the other hand, I did win Seattle this year...

BTW, pic below is where we were this afternoon. Had a nice piece of caribou for dinner with a lovely Zin...
Attached Thumbnails Silver Can Motor Tips/Tricks-lake-peyto-cropped-.jpg  
Old 09-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

I find it impossible to believe that anyone could attend a TCS event- Nats or Regional- and not have fun, no matter where they finish.

Couple of years ago I would podium seven or eight times in a season. Between getting older (which I am certain some would characterize as "washed up") and the amazing number of talented drivers now participating in the Series (like Mr. Koslosky), I seldom wind up in the top three more than a couple times each season.

On the other hand, I did win Seattle this year...

BTW, pic below is where we were this afternoon. Had a nice piece of caribou for dinner with a lovely Zin...
Wow thats a beutiful setting glad to hear your having fun I pulled the old swift out last night and went bangin around with the boys at so cal raceway. Talk about fun holy crap after getting my car dialed in since I hadn't touched it after Nats we had a 13 car field which is pretty big. Kevin Nino, Lee Caldwell, and myself had an unbeliavable battle in the main. We were 123 for the first 12 laps and then myself and Lee battled al the way to the end matching each others lap times I finished 2nd .50 seconds behind Lee what a fun time. Lets talk latter regarding some motor tips if your so inclined.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The rc-dc knows is stuff on silver can motors. I was lucky enough to run his motors at the Trackside TCS and they were much stronger than anything I was able to tune/run.

Doc., are you going to make it to the Mini-Madness race at Trackside. RC- gary, the Keys and others should be there. It would give you the chance to see WI without all the snoww. It's really a nice place.

Think about it.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Yep, I will be there. Wouldn't miss it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.