R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-11-2006, 05:58 AM   #256
Tech Adept

Well, I found some methyl alcohol but its a pink color. Do have the right stuff? Is it ok to use?

Should i dump entire silver can in it and run at low volts or just clean the comm with a cotton bud?

thanks for all the tips in this thread. think i'll try building that dyno like AEDAVE's
minimanintaiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #257
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEDave
I built a very effective motor dyno for pennies, I also did a full article on it, will post tonight.......use you motor to drive another motor used as a slave measure the volts produced with a dvm, the faster its driven the higher the volts, dead simple and accurate, works on all motors of course not just silver cans.

The only secret I have found with the silver cans is the cleaner the comm the faster they go, WD40 and cotton buds used between each run helps, I also water dip......

have a look here:

http://uk.geocities.com/dave_pickett...ew_page_17.htm

i used the same technique to make my dyno and it is very useful for silver can racing
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #258
tc4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Does anyone have something that they use to scrape the black burnt on residue off the comm. Would anyone be willing to tell me of there idea of a scraper. I use the cotton bud with metho but no matter how much i use it i cant get the burnt on stuff off. I sometime use a precision flathead screw driver and place it on the comm and spin it a few times but the comm gets pretty hacked up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #259
Tech Champion

How about cotton buds and metal polish ?

I usually use metal polish ( autosol brand ) to clean and shine all kind of metals.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:11 AM   #260
tc4
Tech Addict

Hmmm that sounds like it might work. Would carby cleaner or brake cleaner dissolve the black stuff off the comm.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:58 AM   #261
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4
Hmmm that sounds like it might work. Would carby cleaner or brake cleaner dissolve the black stuff off the comm.
As far as I know, some brake / carb cleaners are not plastic friendly.

I also clean my comm with autosol with great shining result.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:03 AM   #262
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This always cracks me up it is not rocket science or maybe it is I know that Doc and I can produce some pretty mean silvercans and keep them TCS LEGAL. He does his different than I do mine but it all comes out about the same. The only reason that I won't explain my process is so that I don't get a bunch of angry people who toasted there motors

I have a bunch of silvercans sitting in my shop that I hope to get too sometime in Jan. or Feb. but I am not for sure on that yet as I still have alot of other stuff going on, but when I do I will be sure to let people know that COWBOY HORSEPOWER is available again!
Cowboy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Lightbulb motor

what I do is get a com stick cut it to fit in the side hole and turn the motor to clean it..works perfect
Old 11-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #264
Tech Adept

AEDAVE, if you found that running the motor anti clockwise is actually faster, how do you run it in your car anti clockwise?, i can figure out how todo it on a shaft drive, just place the motor on the other side, but how do you do it on a belt drive ?
MoonTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #265
Tech Champion

Just cleaned my sport tune's comm. Cotton buds ( hard type ) and autosol, and little spin ( 1 Volt ). Very nice shine indeed.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #266
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4
Does anyone have something that they use to scrape the black burnt on residue off the comm. Would anyone be willing to tell me of there idea of a scraper. I use the cotton bud with metho but no matter how much i use it i cant get the burnt on stuff off. I sometime use a precision flathead screw driver and place it on the comm and spin it a few times but the comm gets pretty hacked up.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
DeoxIT. www.caig.com found nothing to work better.
lignum vitae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #267
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to rush evo dude Send a message via Yahoo to rush evo dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N. Furter
With the sealed 540 motor there isn't anything you really can do with them, they are not a rebuildable style motor.
The 'water-dipping' is only done to break in the brushes.
Beyond that just bed-in the bushes, there are all sorts of 'tricks' that drivers will swear by - brasso, toothpaste, metal polish, etc. and make sure that you put a drop of decent oil on each of the bushes.
hey, that's wot i have.

Got any tips for me?

eg: to use it for just bashing,
or use it for racing?

thx
rush evo dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #268
tc4
Tech Addict

We'll i think with my motor i run a gear ratio of 4.1 and when it comes off the track after a 6min race i can't touch it or i'll burn my finger. I have a heatsink and 3 fans blowing onto the motor aswell.

So i think the black stuff on my comm is from overheating it and the comm is actually burnt.

I need some sort of scraper.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #269
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4
We'll i think with my motor i run a gear ratio of 4.1 and when it comes off the track after a 6min race i can't touch it or i'll burn my finger. I have a heatsink and 3 fans blowing onto the motor aswell.

So i think the black stuff on my comm is from overheating it and the comm is actually burnt.

I need some sort of scraper.
dont scrape, you will damage the com. you could try a soft pencil eraser on the end of a pencil (dont know if this will work, but at least it is soft)

you are definately overgeared, forget gear ratios, as they are inherantly inaccurate as different cars have different internal gearbox ratios/ diff sizes, aim for a rollout of about 40mm as a starting point. (1 revolution of the motor moves the car forward 40mm, this method of working out gearing is independent of the cars internal ratios, lookup www.gearchart.com)

that motor may be toast, but try running it in a jar of Brasso for 15 min on 1v, then in water for 15 min, then change the water and run for 15 min again, repeat until all the brasso residue is gone. re-lube bushes between each dunking.

Pete
Supernova
Nomadio

Last edited by PeteB; 11-30-2006 at 04:33 PM.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #270
Tech Initiate

Quote:
AEDAVE, if you found that running the motor anti clockwise is actually faster, how do you run it in your car anti clockwise?, i can figure out how todo it on a shaft drive, just place the motor on the other side, but how do you do it on a belt drive ?
You cant!!! We run 1/12th Mardave kits that can have the motor either side, as the motor pods are symetrical......10th tourers are designed for timed motors, our silver cans are intended to run the same both ways, but they are always marginally better one way and my checker can confirm this......

mmmm will get the solvol autosol out and try that on the comm.....
AEDave is offline   Reply With Quote