R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #1561
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

question
if the motor reach over 180 deg. does the mean the motor is junk?
can it be fix?
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #1562
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not necessarily junk, but probably a little more RPM (weaker mags) and less torque. Heat also makes the brushes burn away much faster, causes the brush springs to lose a little tension. All in all, not good stuff.

RED DOT MOTORS- Fastest Titan 12T and silver can 540 motors in the known galaxy!
rccardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM   #1563
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Subscribed.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #1564
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

RCCARDR, I don't believe any of us can achieve with what you are doing because it takes knowledge and then the hardware issues. I would like to comment on motor timing issues and maybe you can give us some input. Back when brush motors were more common, still is for slot cars...advancing the timing on the three pole motors could be achieve by cutting the brush into two portion, having a leading half and a tail (drag) half. The tail end was cut out so that there was only the leading half. In a three pole motor like the ones we use in R/C what this does is it changes the "timing" on the motor in relationship to the magnetic field. Electrons are being excited more before the circuit is fully complete. However, in the silver cans where the brushes are not allowed to be altered...I can't see pass the fact that the magnets are untouched to achieve this...unless we can magnetically alter its magnetic field. Any input on this or hint on this RCCARDR?
N2Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #1565
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Deep View Post
RCCARDR, I don't believe any of us can achieve with what you are doing because it takes knowledge and then the hardware issues. I would like to comment on motor timing issues and maybe you can give us some input. Back when brush motors were more common, still is for slot cars...advancing the timing on the three pole motors could be achieve by cutting the brush into two portion, having a leading half and a tail (drag) half. The tail end was cut out so that there was only the leading half. In a three pole motor like the ones we use in R/C what this does is it changes the "timing" on the motor in relationship to the magnetic field. Electrons are being excited more before the circuit is fully complete. However, in the silver cans where the brushes are not allowed to be altered...I can't see pass the fact that the magnets are untouched to achieve this...unless we can magnetically alter its magnetic field. Any input on this or hint on this RCCARDR?
Glad to see that some of my old posts were of some value to someone. You can advance timing by physically advancing the comm to the "stack". This is the "cranking" technique and is widely frowned upon. .Changing the brush by cutting is almost impossible to do without removing the end bell.

Your supposition is correct in that the only way to achieve the types of results Doc gets is to in some way alter the magnets themselves. This is fairly widely known by most veteran Silvercanners, but the devil is in the details. There are a number of ways to do this that I know of, but these are very closely guarded "secrets" and are almost never shared. For example, the methodology Doc and I use are very different, but the end results are reasonably close.

Hope this was of some help to you, but the "fun" is in developing your own methods and seeing the results of your efforts. At least it was for me and provided me with many hours of enjoyment.
Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #1566
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Not necessarily junk, but probably a little more RPM (weaker mags) and less torque. Heat also makes the brushes burn away much faster, causes the brush springs to lose a little tension. All in all, not good stuff.
make sense...thanks
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #1567
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
question
if the motor reach over 180 deg. does the mean the motor is junk?
can it be fix?
The old timer, super-experienced guy at our track says to "run 'em near 200 degrees. They can take it."

He seems to know about everything else. So, I listen to him. I've not tried to gear up to that point yet however.
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #1568
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granpa View Post
Glad to see that some of my old posts were of some value to someone. You can advance timing by physically advancing the comm to the "stack". This is the "cranking" technique and is widely frowned upon. .Changing the brush by cutting is almost impossible to do without removing the end bell.

Your supposition is correct in that the only way to achieve the types of results Doc gets is to in some way alter the magnets themselves. This is fairly widely known by most veteran Silvercanners, but the devil is in the details. There are a number of ways to do this that I know of, but these are very closely guarded "secrets" and are almost never shared. For example, the methodology Doc and I use are very different, but the end results are reasonably close.

Hope this was of some help to you, but the "fun" is in developing your own methods and seeing the results of your efforts. At least it was for me and provided me with many hours of enjoyment.
Secrets?? You guys are funny...

Use a Neo magnet to alter your magnetic field.

Make sure you find the correct pole before magnitizing your cans.
Adjusting the Rpm point to where you have good torque is key!

You can find the correct pole of the motor by running it and appling
the magnet near the motor if Rpms go up you are removing magnetic field.
The rpms go down your adding.

I take some magnetic field out the back of the magnets (lightly) and then recharge (add) the front then center to correct the magnetic flux.

Watch your amp draw.
Its easy to do....

Also, clean your motor after every run with a Q-tip and then use a Fiber Glass stick to polish the comm like new.

Make keeping your motor clean a priority one!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #1569
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Secrets?? You guys are funny...

Use a Neo magnet to alter your magnetic field.

Make sure you find the correct pole before magnitizing your cans.
Adjusting the Rpm point to where you have good torque is key!

You can find the correct pole of the motor by running it and appling
the magnet near the motor if Rpms go up you are removing magnetic field.
The rpms go down your adding.

I take some magnetic field out the back of the magnets (lightly) and then recharge (add) the front then center to correct the magnetic flux.

Watch your amp draw.
Its easy to do....

Also, clean your motor after every run with a Q-tip and then use a Fiber Glass stick to polish the comm like new.

Make keeping your motor clean a priority one!
No, actually, I'm the only idiot that deserves your derision. Please don't include others in your contempt. I should have said that the methodology that I use is not shared frequently, if ever.

However, if you had read my post carefully, you would have noted that I said there were a number of ways to accomplish similar results. I read your post with some interest and compliment you on your efforts. It is in no way similar to what I'm doing now, but that's a different story.

Also, I apologize to you for raising our ire with my post. It was in no way intended to do that and regret inadvertently doing so. Let's not get into some sort of pissing contest to see who's the smartest guy on this thread cause I'll concede the point that you are smarter than me and have more valuable information to share. You can join a rather large group of smarter than Granpa people.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #1570
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
No, actually, I'm the only idiot that deserves your derision. Please don't include others in your contempt. I should have said that the methodology that I use is not shared frequently, if ever.

However, if you had read my post carefully, you would have noted that I said there were a number of ways to accomplish similar results. I read your post with some interest and compliment you on your efforts. It is in no way similar to what I'm doing now, but that's a different story.

Also, I apologize to you for raising our ire with my post. It was in no way intended to do that and regret inadvertently doing so. Let's not get into some sort of pissing contest to see who's the smartest guy on this thread cause I'll concede the point that you are smarter than me and have more valuable information to share. You can join a rather large group of smarter than Granpa people.
people act like there is only one way to achieve results. I am sure there are close to a dozen, which mine came through years of trial and error. It is not about being smart or dumb, more about being stubborn which I can identify with. . .
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #1571
Tech Master

Quote:

I just wrote this post to inform racers not to affend anyone here on this form.
It all good.

I've been in racing in just about everything from radio controlled vehicles to full size vehicles.

Oval racing is my real passion.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #1572
Tech Elite

Quote:
It all good.

I've been in racing in just about everything from radio controlled vehicles to full size vehicles.

Thank you for that, and as you said, it's all good.

Let me explain why I found your post a little irritating. You started out your post in bold faced type saying "you guys are funny". Taken in context of your whole post, the implication was that we were missing a few brain cells. I hope you can understand why I don't like being called stupid.

You are right in that the only reason to post is to share information that may, or in some cases, may not be helpful. That's really for the reader to decide. The information you posted may be helpful to some and was a good post except for the opening.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #1573
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
It all good.

Some decent info,thanks. Do you clean with a plain Q-tip,ie no solution?
What is a fibreglass stick and where can i get one?
retro_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #1574
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_ryan View Post
Some decent info,thanks. Do you clean with a plain Q-tip,ie no solution?
What is a fibreglass stick and where can i get one?
I clean my motor with a demel in a jar of denatured alcohol.
Let dry and clean with a Q-tip.
Oil bushings.

Next, use a fiber glass comm stick to polish commutator like new.
You can use a comm stick from Niftech or HPI.

Can't find anyone selling the fiberglass comm sticks anymore.
I'll keep looking and will post when I find them.

Niftech link -
http://www.niftech.com/catalog.php?mode=all
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #1575
Tech Apprentice

Thanks very much , might have a go with the magnet tricks, could you explain it in laymans terms as i got lost with the flux stuff!
retro_ryan is offline   Reply With Quote