Like Tree25Likes

Drag brake

Old 05-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
13.5 is way too much motor for beginners. That's why we have 21.5 as our sportsman class.

What beginners?
Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's like engine braking in a real car. Usually 10 - 20%.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not sure I would say there is a 'usual' amount, it will depend on what feel you like. Drag brake will shift weight forwardBe prepared to play with settings to fell the differences until you find a setting you like. I don't manually brake so my settings are very high compared to the vast majority, I let off the throttle and my car is braking fairly strong, then feather the throttle through the exit of the turn.....seems to work for me. By watching me drive it would be hard to tell that I'm not manually braking.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm with Mr. Krosse, I learned to drive in 1/12th scale in 1982. My first radio was a Futaba Box Radio and our speed control was a servo with a wiper arm contacting an open resistor. We always set it up for full throttle, and then full brake when you let off. I also run a lot of drag brake. I'll set my speed control to 100% brakes, then 50% drag brake. If it's a really tight corner, I will push brake, but most of the time I don't.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Snail slow classes soley designed to make Ernie richer may be the funniest/ most diluted thing i've read here. Vta originally used only Novak motors.........so how exactly did Ernie benefit??? Also 90% of usgt is running R1 motors.....guess I'm missing where this all plays into Trinity's hands. On this subject though, using drag brake in the "snail slow" classes will generally hurt corner speed too much unless traction is really low and then it can help but usually isn't necessary.
Marcos.J likes this.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Snail slow classes soley designed to make Ernie richer may be the funniest/ most diluted thing i've read here. Vta originally used only Novak motors.........so how exactly did Ernie benefit??? Also 90% of usgt is running R1 motors.....guess I'm missing where this all plays into Trinity's hands. On this subject though, using drag brake in the "snail slow" classes will generally hurt corner speed too much unless traction is really low and then it can help but usually isn't necessary.
Ernie has alot of groupies
Lonestar and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1 View Post
Snail slow classes soley designed to make Ernie richer may be the funniest/ most diluted thing i've read here. Vta originally used only Novak motors.........
Even diluted, you didn't read it right - the OP runs 21.5TC, not VTA. I'm commenting on 21.5TC... not VTA.

With all due respect - 21.5TC (please note I did NOT say VTA... thank you) is a marketing scam, even more so than anything 27T from the previous decades, including 36deg. And god knows I've dumped waaaaay too much money on 27T motors, brushes, dynoes and stuff bitd, so, unfortunately, I know what I'm talking about...

I also happen to have a 9y.o. who has started "racing" a couple of years ago. He isn't "talented" but but he's having fun which is all that matters. Daddy's wrenching (and paying, obviously). He pretty much has never practiced due to us just not having permanent tracks anymore, and started racing indoor - on offroad (2wd) with a silvercan, and after a couple of races I installed a 13.5 blinky with low hard timing when I saw he could (about) stay in the middle of the track - with onroad he's runningn 13.5 blinky (again, not geared / can_timed for utmost performance) and I'm just begginning to boost it now. Yes, when he hits a board he breaks stuff and the day's over if I can't fix the car for him onsite, and I think it's great as teaches him more about driving and self-control than a 21.5.

Last edited by Lonestar; 05-08-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
I would go for the drag brake option as you want to keep as cornerspeed as possible...
Confused now - can you elaborate? Thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Confused now - can you elaborate? Thanks
i use it all the time just enough to slow the car down as the older brushed motors , it does help (depending on the layout) with corner speed, one way to find out is to try it out for your self and see , let the lap times decide.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
I would go for the drag brake option as you want to keep as cornerspeed as possible...
Confused now - can you please elaborate? Thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

If you can't run drag brake because you meed to coast a few corners, try reducing your push brake a ton. So that it's actually useful, not just for dodging wrecks.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Even diluted, you didn't read it right - the OP runs 21.5TC, not VTA. I'm commenting on 21.5TC... not VTA.

With all due respect - 21.5TC (please note I did NOT say VTA... thank you) is a marketing scam, even more so than anything 27T from the previous decades, including 36deg. And god knows I've dumped waaaaay too much money on 27T motors, brushes, dynoes and stuff bitd, so, unfortunately, I know what I'm talking about...

I also happen to have a 9y.o. who has started "racing" a couple of years ago. He isn't "talented" but but he's having fun which is all that matters. Daddy's wrenching (and paying, obviously). He pretty much has never practiced due to us just not having permanent tracks anymore, and started racing indoor - on offroad (2wd) with a silvercan, and after a couple of races I installed a 13.5 blinky with low hard timing when I saw he could (about) stay in the middle of the track - with onroad he's runningn 13.5 blinky (again, not geared / can_timed for utmost performance) and I'm just begginning to boost it now. Yes, when he hits a board he breaks stuff and the day's over if I can't fix the car for him onsite, and I think it's great as teaches him more about driving and self-control than a 21.5.
How on earth do you figure that 21.5TC is a marketing scam? It's a hell of a lot cheaper to run than the old brushed days, motors last for years. And before you claim that they aren't competitive after a few months, well you just used a 9 year old kid who can barely keep it in the middle of the track as an example. You don't need the fastest motor to keep up against that. My R1 V16 has lasted me quite a while and is still at the pointy end of the field.

Also, at sanctioned events, our 21.5 class is a control motor. No mega spending to keep up. Also, we don't have a 17.5TC class, so dilution isn't an argument against it either.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
If you can't run drag brake because you meed to coast a few corners, try reducing your push brake a ton. So that it's actually useful, not just for dodging wrecks.
Or practice, so you can control your push brake. :-)

This is something I don't like about modern carpet. Low traction needs great care on braking.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

drag brake theory
so fastest way around a track with rubber tyres
dive hard into a corner straight and push controls (stick or trigger) to brake
trying to not over modulate how much brake you give
lift off brake to let car settle and turn into corner.

using drag brake
dive hard into a corner lift to neutral, allow drag brake on ESC to apply set % of brake feel
this allows you to consistently brake and steer through corner, the end result is faster corner speed
also more consistent braking as opposed to applying trigger brake at different braking points going into corners

more prominent on higher speed classes like 17.5 and mod
most slower classes are slow enough to not lift though corners or to just lift a small % of throttle and not necessary brake

this being said if you can control your braking finger it is truely better but takes practice

Last edited by nashrcracer; 05-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

we just need to wait for bert's answer

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service